Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the hoodie alternatives on the main page, really alternatives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    The crew neck t shirt under v neck sweater looks bad imo and if I’m going casual I’d much rather wear a hoodie than that.
    This 100%

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    I have two hoodies that I wear in public. IMO they're great for casual Saturdays or Sundays with jeans and a T shirt, or even over a casual button up. One of mine is a standard cotton zip up and I think it's great on fall weekends - I like the pure comfort vibe it gives. Another is a North Face better sweater type fleece hoodie. that one I usually layer under a shell or other insulated hooded jacket - for instance, I might layer it as a sweater under my duffle coat and then deploy both hoods if it's really cold - and the hood does also get some functional use in the winter if I wear the hoodie on its own on milder days. Oh, and I almost forgot - I also have an Everlane Cashmere hoodie and nothing is cozier than that.

The hoodie alternatives mentioned are style upgrades for guys who don't wear anything other than a hoodie - hoodies have become pretty much standard everyday wear for a lot of guys - but I like hoodies in moderation under the right circumstances, but use the upgrades too as alternatives when I'm going for something other than a pure comfort/relaxed casual vibe.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I think wearing a hoodie is like anything, it can look nice if you make an effort to make it look nice. Jeans and a t-shirt can look great if you make sure that it fits well and is coordinated, likewise a suit can look sloppy if it's ill-fitted and matched with those square toe black shoes. Formality does not equal 'nice' to me.

I can't recommend this hoodie enough (also probably wait to find it on sale somewhere). Put that on with some jeans and white sneakers and you will look put together and great.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Ever since I joined this website (couple of years ago) I have noticed the dislike towards hooded sweatshirts and the compulsion to provide alternatives. However, I have always felt that a hoodie is what it is because of the hood. So in my opinion, unless an alternative has a hood, it's not really an alternative.

Now, I am not passionate about hoodies and own only the two I bought from S&M. I use them mostly in Spring or Fall, when its chilly and windy outside. The hood offers some extra protection and having the hood on actually feels cosy and comfortable (in a way a beanie doesn't).

Wondering what others in this community think?
    Agree--if it's not covering your head and ears, it's not an alternative. I have one hoodie. I wear it on cooler evenings when my wife and go for walks. It's usually dark. It's one of the few times I'm not too worried about how I look.

That said, when we visit places with colder weather, I've been known to wear all sorts of unfashionable gear on my head to keep warm, from earmuffs to beanies to trucker hats with ear flaps.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexd3 View Post
    I think wearing a hoodie is like anything, it can look nice if you make an effort to make it look nice. Jeans and a t-shirt can look great if you make sure that it fits well and is coordinated, likewise a suit can look sloppy if it's ill-fitted and matched with those square toe black shoes. Formality does not equal 'nice' to me.

I can't recommend this hoodie enough (also probably wait to find it on sale somewhere). Put that on with some jeans and white sneakers and you will look put together and great.
    Is it just me or have more stylish hoodies been available in the recent years? Although that one is way too expensive even if it was 50% off.

Keeping in mind the main page article is an update, I still think the more stylish slimmer hoodies, don't look as good as a cardigan or cable knit sweater.

Baggy hoodies are extremely unflattering, and make the wearer look fat. Plus, they give rise to the temptation to put ones hands in the pocket, which isn't a good look.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexd3 View Post

I was actually thinking of RC hoodies this entire time as an option that looks good. +1 to the rec
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)
    hoodies are a technical piece for me. If I need the hood function, I wear a hoodie. If I don't, I go for a more dappered look. keeping chill off of the neck can be accomplished with many other more dappered options. a scarf, a shawl neck, 1/4 zip sweater...I even pop the collar of my jacket to keep weather off of my neck. The intent of an article like this is almost always to help out those people that use the hoodie as a go-to for any situation int he fall. Or someone that wants to be warm and comfortable but maybe step it up for date night and doesn't know what to do to get the similar effect.

I always say any style "rule" is a set of crutches for a beginner. As you get your own personal style more tuned in, you can determine what "rules" you want to break to represent your personal style. Most of the style icons we adore were not strictly following the rules but understood the purpose well enough to stylishly represent themselves, sometimes creating new "rules".

I also agree with some others, I never like the crew tee under a v sweater. To me, it reminds me of the prepackaged shirt tie combos. Mostly because you can get those sweaters with the faux tee attached under from places like walmart.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I also agree with some others, I never like the crew tee under a v sweater. To me, it reminds me of the prepackaged shirt tie combos. Mostly because you can get those sweaters with the faux tee attached under from places like walmart.
    I feel like the only reason I would wear that would be if I had a big scar from throacic surgery. And, even then... the scar feels more styley.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I would agree with others that hoodies are more functional than a fashion accessory.

It is true that lately there has been a fashion trend of wearing hoodies—even some designer hoodies—typically layered under a bomber jacket, jeans, and interesting tennis shoes. There is also the trend swap jeans with some sort of fancy sweatpants. This seems like a very young style that I might have liked more some years ago.

I don't think a hoodie is a flattering clothing item. However, when it is 40F outside, not raining, with on and off winds... I'm not really worried about if it would look better to be wearing a cardigan. I'll admittedly wear a hoodie with a raincoat if the weather is like that regardless of what it looks like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I found myself moving away from hoodies at the same time I moved away from graphic tees. Hoodies don't have a lot of use when most of your shirts have collars. That said, I definitely agree with others that a hoodie is great for cleaning or relaxing at home.