Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    First off your money your decisions. But it seems youíre struggling with this decision because itís not you and just to impress others while trying to feel comfortable. Your confidence is what makes you comfortable.

Iíd like to think regardless of how much I make there are some things that I wonít get the value out of. A 100 t shirt is one of them.

I think if struggling with this concept and itís for others not you invest your new wealth. Unexpected life changes may happen. You can then when youíre ready either invest in these new status clothing or what aligns more with your core beliefs. Best of luck.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    A few random thoughts. First, your hunch is exactly what this article is talking about:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9...nswear-decline

Success now represents itself in refined casual dress, not formal suits.

Second, if I was looking to seriously upgrade my wardrobe and felt like I had money to burn I would start by shopping brick and mortar. It will allow you to try things on and see if they give you the feeling you're looking for. I'd look for places like The Armory in NY, there must be some equivalents in southern California, I just don't know what they might be.

For particular brands, I would try places like Taylor Stitch.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    Buy the same clothes you always have (ok maybe splurge on an extra here or there to celebrate, but keep it simple).

Donate what you would have spent on new higher end clothes to charity.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
    Yeah, I'll co-sign this, with a particular plug for the book The Life You Can Save by Peter Singer.
    Sorry to be that guy posting about charity on a discussion forum for a clothing website.
    Don't be sorry. I think it's important to remember that the money for some of the luxury goods we buy could actually save peoples' lives. I will say that my charitable contributions have increased considerably this year, way more than in proportion to the increase in my income, and I plan on doing more before year's end.

Indeed, yesterday after I purchased those clothes I mentioned, I put about the same amount in my www.Kiva.org account and loaned it out.

By the way, for people who don't know, Kiva is a great way to help people in developing countries start and grow businesses. Check it out.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    A few random thoughts. First, your hunch is exactly what this article is talking about:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9...nswear-decline

Success now represents itself in refined casual dress, not formal suits.

Second, if I was looking to seriously upgrade my wardrobe and felt like I had money to burn I would start by shopping brick and mortar. It will allow you to try things on and see if they give you the feeling you're looking for. I'd look for places like The Armory in NY, there must be some equivalents in southern California, I just don't know what they might be.

For particular brands, I would try places like Taylor Stitch.
    HAH! My new signature is from this article: "WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?" bhahaha So true.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    I have definitely noticed everywhere becoming more and more casual

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Citizen 0100. The ultimate sleeper watch. Only the hardcore will know or even notice.

Brick and mortar is a good idea, American made/ethically sourced is a good idea. What about a personal shopper/stylist? If youíve got the scratch, why not have a professional put it together? The basic idea there is youíre getting outside your comfort zone but donít know specifically what you want. Quality, you can tell if youíve read this site for a while, but brands that arenít normally on your radar?
    At its root, Dappered is pretty much a DIY fashion advice from those who have been there, and are reliable reviewers, so you can buy sight unseen based on our recommendations. For cheap.
    But youíre edging out of our wheelhouse, and thatís where itís time to seek professional help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    My wife wants me to get expensive watches and pay for expensive vacations and I'm not comfortable with that.
    Because she thinks you'll like them, or because she wants to be seen with the status symbol? I'm ok with one of those, not so much with the other.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Because she thinks you'll like them, or because she wants to be seen with the status symbol? I'm ok with one of those, not so much with the other.
    If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.
    I understand that aspect, and don't have any qualms with expensive watches. But there's a difference between "honey that Nautilus would look really nice on you" and "Honey you need to buy this watch so we can keep up with the Joneses". I was trying to suss out which it was

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Much easier said than done to pick the right watches, just because Rolex has gone up dramatically doesnít mean that they will still do so in the next 10 years.

Anyone whoís rationalizing watches as an investment is kidding themselves.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft