Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)

Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Okay, maybe Imma gonna take some flack on this one, and I don't mind a discussion about about the ego implications behind the post--that's fine.

But I'd also like some suggestions for brands/clothing. And I'll tell you some back story on what prompted this.

First, I'm having a good year when it comes to money--Best year ever by far.

And the wife and a couple of ours who are friends talked me into a fancy vacation at a fancy resort. But it's a fancy vacation where we will be wearing a lot of casual clothing. Think polos, casual un-tucked button downs, t-shirts, and shorts. Maybe a suit without a tie for dinner once or twice (I've got that covered.)

And a few weeks ago my partner and I met up with a client in one of the elite hotel/resorts in the world. I'm wearing my Brooks Brother suit and my Cobbler Union shoes and my Sam Hober custom tie.

But as I looked around, I realized and said to my partner, "you know, most places we go, the guys in suits like us are the 'important' guys--the big shots. But not this place. If you're wearing a suit, that means you're a worker-bee, and you're working for the 'important guys.'"

He just said, "yep, you're right." He does these kinds of meetings a lot more than I do. He's used to it. I like to stay at the office and do paper work.

Oddly, I'm the guy in the Brooks Brothers suit and I felt under-dressed in an over-dressed way. Does that make sense?

Enough back story. I'm just feeling like going on a vacation like the one we have planned and wearing my Amazon Good Threads t-shirts, polos, and JCrew button down short sleeve shirts and shorts is going to make me feel out of place and like I don't belong.

I picked up a couple of John Varvatos t-shirts and a short sleeve button down because I like the way they fit--but damn, it makes my gut churn to pay $100 for a t-shirt and I don't even know if it's well made. Maybe it's going to last only a year?

And maybe that's only a brand somebody like me (from a blue collar family but with a professional degree) thinks is a prestige/status brand because I heard Howard Stern say that Varvatos is his favorite designer.

As far as shoes, I'm not worried. I'm comfortable with my various loafers and such by AE, JFitzpatrick, etc.

Maybe I'm looking for the casual clothing version of brands like that.

Anyways, any suggestions?

OH--ALSO IMPORTANT: I hate wearing brands with noticeable logos on them. And I don't want to look try-hard.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    I don't think I fully understood what you're looking for. Are you asking for recommendations for "nicer" casual clothing? Or are you asking for prestige/status brands that other people would recognize? Because those two aren't necessarily the same thing. Also I've found that the most successful (often overlaps with wealth) people care the least about showing off or letting other people know that they're successful and wear either understated luxury brands (where at first glance you wouldn't be able to tell if it's Loro Piana or JCrew) or don't spend all that much money on clothes.

Nobody is going to be able to tell what you're wearing unless there's a logo on it - if your amazon / jcrew / etc. clothes fit you well and make you happy then my advice would be to just stick with them, you shouldn't feel the need to spend more on clothes to impress others. That being said if you're looking to get nicer clothes because it makes you happy then I'm all for it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I don't think I fully understood what you're looking for. Are you asking for recommendations for "nicer" casual clothing? Or are you asking for prestige/status brands that other people would recognize? Because those two aren't necessarily the same thing. Also I've found that the most successful (often overlaps with wealth) people care the least about showing off or letting other people know that they're successful and wear either understated luxury brands (where at first glance you wouldn't be able to tell if it's Loro Piana or JCrew) or don't spend all that much money on clothes.

Nobody is going to be able to tell what you're wearing unless there's a logo on it - if your amazon / jcrew / etc. clothes fit you well and make you happy then my advice would be to just stick with them, you shouldn't feel the need to spend more on clothes to impress others. That being said if you're looking to get nicer clothes because it makes you happy then I'm all for it.
    Okay, good points. I think you're right in a very large part.

And there is a part of me that wants to fit in and convey a message that I belong. If I'm hanging at the pool and take off my t-shirt to go for a swim and leave it on the chaise, well, somebody might see the Good Threads label inside. So, there's an insecurity there for sure.

And I've been around enough truly wealthy people to know that they aren't impressed with things money can buy, because they can buy whatever the hell they want. My wealthiest friends just buy what they want or need in the moment. You're right--if they happen to be in JCrew and see something they like, they buy it and they don't worry about whether it is going to impress anybody.

So, there's clearly a part of this that is related to how comfortable I am with myself. I'm not entirely comfortable with the amount of money I am making now. After many years of working hard and doing fine--well, damn--suddenly I'm making the kind of money many people dream about.

But that kid whose mother took jobs cleaning our neighbors' houses after my step-father ditched us still remembers what it's like to be poor. I still remember getting plastic dress shoes and a poly tie (for 15 cents) at a Kmart flashing blue light special to wear to church.

My wife wants me to get expensive watches and pay for expensive vacations and I'm not comfortable with that.

Okay, the vacation I'm okay with--I worked my ass off this year, took a risk at starting my own firm, and it paid off. I've earned a little fun and pampering. But I like my $250 Citizen Eco-Drive. Why do I want to spend $10,000 on a watch that doesn't work any better? (Plus, one of my friends warns me that watches are a rabbit hole that goes deeper than shoes.)

I like my Amazon Good Threads t-shirts and chinos. I like my JCrew casual shirts.

All that said--DAMN, I like NICE stuff too. I feel like a million bucks when I put on my Sam Hober bespoke tie, even though it only cost $100. But it's nice--you can tell the quality is there.

I feel great when I put on a nice pair of cashmere socks that I paid three times more for than I normally pay for socks.

I love wearing my MTO Jfitzpatrick button boots.

I love wearing my Brooks Brothers suits and my Suit Supply suit, which are the nicest suits I've ever had--but I know that even these are at the bottom end of so-called "luxury goods".
    Last edited by mebejoseph; October 20th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Also I've found that the most successful (often overlaps with wealth) people care the least about showing off or letting other people know that they're successful and wear either understated luxury brands (where at first glance you wouldn't be able to tell if it's Loro Piana or JCrew) or don't spend all that much money on clothes.

Agree 100%

The problem with dressing like a truly wealthy vacation goer is while you may spend $1000 on a Loro Piana shirt and $800 on Cucinelli shorts, nobody will be able to tell those aren't Amazon clothes besides you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I'd also add that if you are serious about buying high-end shirts and such, familiarize yourself with hand washing and spot treatment. These are not the sort of things you'll want to dump in a laundry machine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    I won’t even touch the psychology of this one, I will just try to help with recs:

Todd Snyder
    Billy Reid
    Sunspel polos
    Criquet polos
    Club Monaco

Try No Man Walks Alone and Mr Porter for other brand names.

Just a suggestion...try looking for items made in the US and other 1st world countries (Italy, Canada, France, etc). It might help you justify the cost and the items tend to be better quality (though not always). If someone sees your shirt tag, you can talk about your ethos of avoiding sweatshop labor and environmental impact of cheaply made clothes. I imagine that conversation would go well in the circles of the upper crust.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Okay, good points. I think you're right in a very large part.

And there is a part of me that wants to fit in and convey a message that I belong. If I'm hanging at the pool and take off my t-shirt to go for a swim and leave it on the chaise, well, somebody might see the Good Threads label inside. So, there's an insecurity there for sure.

And I've been around enough truly wealthy people to know that they aren't impressed with things money can buy, because they can buy whatever the hell they want. My wealthiest friends just buy what they want or need in the moment. You're right--if they happen to be in JCrew and see something they like, they buy it and they don't worry about whether it is going to impress anybody.

So, there's clearly a part of this that is related to how comfortable I am with myself. I'm not entirely comfortable with the amount of money I am making now. After many years of working hard and doing fine--well, damn--suddenly I'm making the kind of money many people dream about.

But that kid whose mother took jobs cleaning our neighbors' houses after my step-father ditched us still remembers what it's like to be poor. I still remember getting plastic dress shoes and a poly tie (for 15 cents) at a Kmart flashing blue light special to wear to church.

My wife wants me to get expensive watches and pay for expensive vacations and I'm not comfortable with that.

Okay, the vacation I'm okay with--I worked my ass off this year, took a risk at starting my own firm, and it paid off. I've earned a little fun and pampering. But I like my $250 Citizen Eco-Drive. Why do I want to spend $10,000 on a watch that doesn't work any better? (Plus, one of my friends warns me that watches are a rabbit hole that goes deeper than shoes.)

I like my Amazon Good Threads t-shirts and chinos. I like my JCrew casual shirts.

All that said--DAMN, I like NICE stuff too. I feel like a million bucks when I put on my Sam Hober bespoke tie, even though it only cost $100. But it's nice--you can tell the quality is there.

I feel great when I put on a nice pair of cashmere socks that I paid three times more for than I normally pay for socks.

I love wearing my MTO Jfitzpatrick button boots.

I love wearing my Brooks Brothers suits and my Suit Supply suit, which are the nicest suits I've ever had.
    Makes sense. Anyone who judges you for buying inexpensive clothing is a pretentious ass and probably someone you wouldn't want to associate with anyway. But yeah to your point if you enjoy wearing nice stuff and it makes you feel good then by all means go for it. What types of things are you looking for? There are a ton of good options at every single price range. For more casual stuff you can check out Sunspel, Todd Snyder, 3Sixteen.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Agree 100%

The problem with dressing like a truly wealthy vacation goer is while you may spend $1000 on a Loro Piana shirt and $800 on Cucinelli shorts, nobody will be able to tell those aren't Amazon clothes besides you.
    Ain't no way I'm spending $1,000 on a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I'd also add that if you are serious about buying high-end shirts and such, familiarize yourself with hand washing and spot treatment. These are not the sort of things you'll want to dump in a laundry machine.
    And that about kills it--'cuz no way I'm spending time to hand wash anything.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    I always dress well, unless I'm out washing a car, and I also always wear whatever I want to wear; without regard to what other people may or may not think about it. I enjoy it, for myself, and that's what makes it fun for me.

If you overthink why you're doing it, and what you should be wearing, and what others expect you to be wearing, I would imagine it would turn into a real drag on your energy supply, that could be better utilized for some other purpose.

That being said, if you have jack and want to look proper in every scenario, just shop exclusively from Brooks Brothers and call it a day. You'll never be out of place, and won't have to worry about whether or not you are.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    maybe give the brooks casual section a look?

bonobos?