Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.
    I have beat the hell out of my BLNR since 2013. No way someone would even pay retail for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Much easier said than done to pick the right watches, just because Rolex has gone up dramatically doesn’t mean that they will still do so in the next 10 years.

Anyone who’s rationalizing watches as an investment is kidding themselves.
    Watch "investments" remind me of car "investments." In that community, everyone thinks their run of the mill, air-cooled Porsche will appreciate in value. Select items may appreciate but people never compare the % return to say the S&P. Not to soap box more, but it is like people whose grandma bought her house in the 50s for a couple nickels and it's worth $100K now but when comparing return %, it is marginal at best.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't really post often but I felt the need to here. I've always enjoyed reading your posts as I have always found them helpful, encouraging and informative.

First off congrats on taking a chance and achieving your financial success. That is something very much to be celebrated.

If you want to splurge for higher end clothing because the quality is superior, it brings you pleasure and to reward yourself I say absolutely.

To do it to fit in, or for some perceived acceptance is doing it for the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

A friend of mine who I went to college with came from a very wealthy family. Net worth well north of 8 figured.

Half way through college his parents finally gave him a car. It was 15 years old and the defroster didn't work.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
    I knew a guy is college whose parents bought him a brand new Saab 900 turbo (it was a hot car from the mid-80s to the mid-90s) and he complained for weeks that they'd got him the wrong color - there were two shades of grey and they got the wrong one. Happy for people who come into funds as long as they don't turn into a version of that guy, or let other members of their family turn into versions of that guy.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post
    Citizen 0100. The ultimate sleeper watch. Only the hardcore will know or even notice.

Brick and mortar is a good idea, American made/ethically sourced is a good idea. What about a personal shopper/stylist? If you’ve got the scratch, why not have a professional put it together? The basic idea there is you’re getting outside your comfort zone but don’t know specifically what you want. Quality, you can tell if you’ve read this site for a while, but brands that aren’t normally on your radar?
    At its root, Dappered is pretty much a DIY fashion advice from those who have been there, and are reliable reviewers, so you can buy sight unseen based on our recommendations. For cheap.
    But you’re edging out of our wheelhouse, and that’s where it’s time to seek professional help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holy crap! That is some watch! And I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a watch. Okay, not this year anyways.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Hey, hey--Bobby Axelrod--billionaire walking around in his henleys and graphic tee's. I always get a kick out of that.
    Maybe those shows get it right - some do- but in a lot of cases rich people on TV shows or in movies are dressed like a Hollywood stylist imagines a rich person would dress in a given situation rather than how actual rich people actually dress in those situations. Not that I'm a super expert in how rich people dress although there are plenty of them here in the DC area. You really can't tell who they are by looking at them for the most part though so that may be the primary lesson. The lobbyists you can spot when they're on duty because they're the guys in the really, really nice suits. Off duty though they're probably wearing a ratty old crew neck sweater and jeans.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Because she thinks you'll like them, or because she wants to be seen with the status symbol? I'm ok with one of those, not so much with the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I understand that aspect, and don't have any qualms with expensive watches. But there's a difference between "honey that Nautilus would look really nice on you" and "Honey you need to buy this watch so we can keep up with the Joneses". I was trying to suss out which it was
    I think it's because she believes that my modest watches are incongruent with the imagine she knows I want to convey to other lawyers and to clients and that I am otherwise conveying with my clothing, shoes, haircut, etc. I've even had former co-worker lawyers gently suggest I up my watch game once or twice.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    I've even had former co-worker lawyers gently suggest I up my watch game once or twice.
    It's a business expense then. Get the Submariner or Datejust and be done with it.

I've had 75+ watches from Seiko to Rolex, my favorite was my vintage Datejust. It was a terrific wear anytime watch. I still kinda miss it, but practical part of me just couldn't justify having thousands of dollars tied up in a watch that was 10% better than my (at the time $250) Seiko SCVS at this point in my life, with some other big financial obligations coming over the next couple of years. However, if I were in your position, and having a banner year, at an age where you really should be enjoying your success, I'd splurge. Rolex is popular for a reason, they make a fantastic watch (there are other reasons as well, but the quality is certainly there)

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    If you don't want an expensive watch I think it's a dumb idea to get one. If your SO really thinks you need one she can get you one as a gift.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I think it's because she believes that my modest watches are incongruent with the imagine she knows I want to convey to other lawyers and to clients and that I am otherwise conveying with my clothing, shoes, haircut, etc. I've even had former co-worker lawyers gently suggest I up my watch game once or twice.
    I work in the biological sciences world. I can unequivocally state that I have never been told to "up my watch game."

I can wear a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops to work if I wanted to. I try to look reasonably good though and go for solid basic fashion staples like the ones featured on dappered.

I would personally not be able to enjoy myself if my colleagues might say such a thing...but that's why we make the choices we make for careers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    Go with no watch, or buy an Apple Watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Go with no watch, or buy an Apple Watch.
    What about one of those fancy smartwatches? I don't think anything says I am a reckless spender better than a $1,500 watch that will be obsolete in six months.