Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I have admittedly looked at shoe sample cases to pack shoes. They are supposed to be for travelling shoe salespeople and bringing shoes for display at trade shows, but I just want them to bring a bunch of shoes on an airplane without them floating around in a suitcase.
    I like that idea!
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I like that idea!
    I saw the concept at a trade show where the person at the booth across from me had a hard case with padded dividers containing bottles and one pair of shoes. I found myself thinking what a waste of space to pack all those glass bottles for the display when it could be all shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMProf View Post
    I'm very late to this thread so I don't know if this will get any traction, but I just read this through and the spirit of the initial question was something that really resonated with me. Its something I've discussed with friends before.
    Folks will talk about dressing for yourself until they're blue in the face, but I think if most are honest its also true that dressing well also is for cultivating a particular image-- affecting how others see us. When I started my journey to dressing better about a decade ago, yes, I wanted to wear clothes that made me happier but I also wanted to affect how I'm seen by others, i.e.,. this guy is well dressed.....he puts some thought into his style.....he has nice clothes.....and even, this guy has the means to have some nicer clothes. The later was always particularly satisfying because once you figure it out, you can look like a million bucks without spending that much (good tailoring, thrifting, ebay, this site, etc).

With suits it is pretty easy actually to figure out how to move up the hierarchy: start with just getting something that fits well, invest in some entry level nice brands (SuitSupply, Brooks), buy some high end ties on ebay, and work your way up to nicer brands as you accumulate the means to do so.

But with a casual workplace, it is just so much more confusing to do so. How does one signal and create the same impression in a more casual environment.

For me, its been shoes. I might wear dark denim and an OCBD to work, but so does everyone else, but I still tend to have nicer shoes than most (I'm a professor, so the bar is set pretty low for being the best dressed professor!). My shoes aren't even super high end, mostly AE, but things like suedes and monks that most folks don't wear.

So I guess I'm still curious in the initial premise of the thread: how do you ever so slightly set yourself apart and signal that you have both the interest and means to dress well in a world of casual wear? Note: I'm referring to what most people on this site are oriented towards: classic menswear. I'm not talking going out and buying Gucci or Prada.
    Anyone who is conscientious about dressing well, is considering how others view them.