Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    9. if you need some inspiration, watch billions or succession to see how rich people dress casually
    Hey, hey--Bobby Axelrod--billionaire walking around in his henleys and graphic tee's. I always get a kick out of that.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Definitely look at stuff like Todd Snyder or Billy Reid. They won't have logos and will look/feel better than JCrew/BR.

But...I still don't really consider them a high level luxury good that the type of people you're talking about would wear. Hell, I'm not really sure what wealthy people actually wear. Are these the type of people that would go to somewhere like Bijan?

But from what it sounds like, you're looking for things that are the next level up from what is talked about here, or really a couple levels up. I would look at places like Tom Ford or Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Is $400 for a polo or $600 for a henley ridiculous money? Well, yeah obviously, but it sounds like that's the type of place you're looking at?

Is a $450 linen shirt going to be that much better than a $100 one? No probably not by much, but it maybe 5% better, and that 5% is really what it sounds like you want to pay for it. For the vast, vast majority of people, that proposition just makes no sense at all, but if you're making that type of money that's putting you in the circles you're talking about...maybe

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    I work for a finance company headquartered in Miami and often go to high-end resorts (like this) for my job. Here are the pieces that I wear. Get an Orelbar Brown swimsuit on clearance. A couple of linen shirts from Kamakura. An unstructured, unlined blazer from Suitsupply. Woven loafers from Allen Edmonds. Kent Wang polos with non-roll collars. Shorts from Bonobos.

None of these pieces are "budget" item, but they're all simple, elegant, high quality and unbranded.
    I like all that stuff and other than the swimsuits, the prices don't make me feel sick.

Especially, I really like those shoes, but I have so many pairs of AE already. But they are just about perfect and on sale, so . . .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I don’t agree with some of your tips and think you’re misunderstanding the proposition of “expensive” clothing. It’s not really about being able to recognize expensive materials (there’s no way you can tell at first glance whether a sweater is made from merino wool or cashmere), it’s more that:

1) “expensive” clothing offers more ranges of fits (since they’re less designed to fit mass market) so you can probably find stuff that fits you better

2) you get more options along the design dimension. For example I strongly disagree with your claim that all jeans look the same. Higher end jeans come in a variety of rises and tapers that change the look and formality.

Ultimately your 10) is what matters the most.
    Fit is a very important one too and one I forgot to include in my list. My understanding was that he wanted to fit in better with upscale casual, so i provided tips for "little things" that would help him blend in more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Buy the same clothes you always have (ok maybe splurge on an extra here or there to celebrate, but keep it simple).

Donate what you would have spent on new higher end clothes to charity.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    You know, all this discussion has reminded me that the people who are my actual friends that I spend time with that have money aren't status seekers and don't try to impress anyone.

One of my best friends for over 10 years is from a mega wealthy family, NEVER talks about it, and maybe doesn't even know that I know who his family is--I knew him for a few years before I got curious and tried to figure out where he got his money from. We connect on our common view of the world, our love of music and high end sound equipment (which he can afford and I can't), and things that aren't anything that would impress most people by just looking at him. I met him in a meditation class we used to take.

So, while a guy like him could likely afford a $10,000 suit, he'd more likely spend the money on art or new hi-fi stylus.

Quote Originally Posted by alexd3 View Post
    Definitely look at stuff like Todd Snyder or Billy Reid. They won't have logos and will look/feel better than JCrew/BR.

But...I still don't really consider them a high level luxury good that the type of people you're talking about would wear. Hell, I'm not really sure what wealthy people actually wear. Are these the type of people that would go to somewhere like Bijan?

But from what it sounds like, you're looking for things that are the next level up from what is talked about here, or really a couple levels up. I would look at places like Tom Ford or Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Is $400 for a polo or $600 for a henley ridiculous money? Well, yeah obviously, but it sounds like that's the type of place you're looking at?

Is a $450 linen shirt going to be that much better than a $100 one? No probably not by much, but it maybe 5% better, and that 5% is really what it sounds like you want to pay for it. For the vast, vast majority of people, that proposition just makes no sense at all, but if you're making that type of money that's putting you in the circles you're talking about...maybe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post

Just a suggestion...try looking for items made in the US and other 1st world countries (Italy, Canada, France, etc). It might help you justify the cost and the items tend to be better quality (though not always). If someone sees your shirt tag, you can talk about your ethos of avoiding sweatshop labor and environmental impact of cheaply made clothes. I imagine that conversation would go well in the circles of the upper crust.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe something like a Scottish-made Shetland sweater from a place like O'Connell's (not for your resort vacation, obvs). There you are paying for quality, not the status of a "brand."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I think you're understanding that you have already been on the right track. Keeping up with the Jones' leads to madness and unhappiness. The whole point of this site is looking good without spending a fortune. Remember if you put a cheap outfit together well you will still look better than say Trump in his baggy, ill-fitting Brioni suits (not a political shots, I think we can agree he dresses objectively bad).

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5c/25/a0/5...33869c7bf4.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'll co-sign this, with a particular plug for the book The Life You Can Save by Peter Singer.
    Sorry to be that guy posting about charity on a discussion forum for a clothing website.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    Buy the same clothes you always have (ok maybe splurge on an extra here or there to celebrate, but keep it simple).

Donate what you would have spent on new higher end clothes to charity.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    @mebejoseph - I still remember the car ride to dinner after my wife gifted me my Rolex. I was in the car with my parents and we drove past the Rolex AD when I said, "oh yea, future wife got me this watch for an engagement gift, it was $9K." I knew right as it came out of my mouth, it was the wrong thing to say. Watches are things some people will notice but for the most part, Apple Watches are the norm or maybe Omega's at least here. I hardly ever see a Rolex.

The couple people I do know worth 8-9 figures do have luxury watches but it goes along with other things they own as well.