Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spier and Mackay thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Spier and Mackay thoughts?

I am considering giving them a shot for a suit. It looks like it's essentially off the rack sizing. I'm most concerned about sleeve length being a shorter guy at 5' 7". Are these functional buttons or no? I'd likely have to get sleeves shortened so figure that into the price.

I've seen some threads about working returns through PayPal to help with costs figuring out sizing. How tricky is it going to be to get a suit that fits only working via postal mail? I generally order my jackets J.Hilburn made to measure since it's hard for me to find off the rack stuff that ever fits. Wondering if it's worth a shot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    The sleeve buttons are non-functional. They do include accent stitching, so you may either end up having the stitching removed or going down to three buttons if your sleeve length is a larger alteration. Like most all jackets, the removed stitching is much more apparent on lighter colors.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    First cross-border suit return is covered by S&M, so you might not even need to use PayPal. Also, the online measurements list for each size is both accurate and comprehensive, so if you know what fits you already you are less likely to run into issues (check their short cuts). Finally, though I've not had to do this myself I'm told calling or emailing them yields useful fit advice.

I have to shorten the sleeves on mine, and it's not an issue. I've not noticed any holes left by removed faux buttonhole stitching once properly pressed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    The first return being free is helpful - I just ordered a couple of different sizes from them the first time, figured out which fit me, and shipped back the others.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
    I am considering giving them a shot for a suit. It looks like it's essentially off the rack sizing. I'm most concerned about sleeve length being a shorter guy at 5' 7". Are these functional buttons or no? I'd likely have to get sleeves shortened so figure that into the price.

I've seen some threads about working returns through PayPal to help with costs figuring out sizing. How tricky is it going to be to get a suit that fits only working via postal mail? I generally order my jackets J.Hilburn made to measure since it's hard for me to find off the rack stuff that ever fits. Wondering if it's worth a shot.
    If you need a referral link - http://i.refs.cc/bVrh7mGC?smile_ref=...oyNjEwMzc2MDJ9

The great thing about SM is that they dont use functional buttons. I really really wanted the hopsack navy with patch pockets this spring but ordered a 40 slim . I really need 40 short slim but they dont stock that size. I am going to need to try a 38 short contemporary next time but they dont have the jacket i want anymore They have a new one that has a patch pocket square pocket but i dont like it as much as the one from the spring. Crushed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
    I generally order my jackets J.Hilburn made to measure since it's hard for me to find off the rack stuff that ever fits. Wondering if it's worth a shot.
    How is J. Hilburn for you?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I think they stopped with the accent stitching around the buttons on the sleeves. I'm guessing that you may still come across it on some older stock but, from I recall hearing that, it's been dropped since maybe 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the code and the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    How is J. Hilburn for you?
    I really love JH a lot. Their prices have increased over the last couple years but the quality is undeniable. The fit is wonderful, and their service is top notch. The first shirt I got from them ripped a few months later, she shipped me out a new one. If anything ever goes wrong they make it right (and it rarely goes wrong). I just can't afford to buy all my stuff from here, it gets to be too expensive. I wish I could! That is why I am looking at S&M.

It's very hard for me to buy shirts anywhere else since the JH shirts fit so darn well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    First cross-border suit return is covered by S&M, so you might not even need to use PayPal. Also, the online measurements list for each size is both accurate and comprehensive, so if you know what fits you already you are less likely to run into issues (check their short cuts). Finally, though I've not had to do this myself I'm told calling or emailing them yields useful fit advice.

I have to shorten the sleeves on mine, and it's not an issue. I've not noticed any holes left by removed faux buttonhole stitching once properly pressed.
    Great thanks!