Thread: JCF Thompson tuxedo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

JCF Thompson tuxedo?

Thinking of buying an inexpensive tuxedo instead of renting, and the JCF Thompson caught my eye. Anyone with experience with that? Other suggestions for black tuxedos in the $300 range?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    Be aware that it's a converted suit, and thus not a traditional tuxedo design. Two-button closure, flap pockets without satin piping (so you can't just tuck the flaps inside), vents (this is a minor quibble), unwrapped plastic buttons, rear pockets with exposed buttons on the trousers, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Interesting - thanks. One reason that it caught my eye is that the J Crew sizing works well for me. Open to other suggestions - weighing buying versus renting.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsport View Post
    Interesting - thanks. One reason that it caught my eye is that the J Crew sizing works well for me. Open to other suggestions - weighing buying versus renting.
    SuitSupply has a pretty good deal but it's significantly higher than your $300 thompson price. It does include shirt, studs, links, cummerbund, bow tie, *AND* shoes along with the tux.

If you already have most of that, Black Lapel I can't recommend highly enough. They offer a made-to-measure tux for 600 with a LOT of customization available.

You may be able to find something on sale at Brooks Brothers or even on ebay. For a traditional black tie look you'll want no vents on the jacket (although these days it's less of an offense to have them), no back pockets on the pants (which hopefully have a pleat but again not a deal-breaker if they don't), single button (satin or grosgrain) closure, satin or grosgrain on the lapels (which are peak or shawl--try to avoid notch).

Keep an eye on the bay, as there are frequently deals to be had. Smokin ones at that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    Addendum to my earlier post: double vents aren't considered as much of a faux pas, because they're intended to drape cleanly while one sits on a chair. A single vent is for sport coats, as it's meant to accommodate riding a horse; in its day it was as much a casual/manual labour indicator as the straps on a pair of overalls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I got a Combat Gent tux a while ago. Decent quality, 2 button, satin bitch lapel, satin ribbon on the pant, get it with the vest, and you’re set for under the Suit Supply version. Pants have an elastic extender at the waist, so even if you don’t wear it often, you’re still ensured a better fit.
    I wear mine for concerts, I conduct, so it works well for my use. I can flap around and not be too bound up or look that unkempt from the rear/audience perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Thinking of buying an inexpensive tuxedo instead of renting, and the JCF Thompson caught my eye. Anyone with experience with that? Other suggestions for black tuxedos in the $300 range?
    I have a Tommy Hilfiger tuxedo at that price point.

And similar to what Galcobar says about the JCF: a converted suit. And you know what? The vast majority of people don't know the difference. They think it looks great, so I think it looks great.

If you're doing events full of people who wear tuxedos a lot, then yeah, get something better. If it's event with few people in tuxes and most in lame rentals, you'll still look boss in one of these cheapies (assuming you get the fit and tailoring just right).

Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post
    I got a Combat Gent tux a while ago. Decent quality, 2 button, satin bitch lapel, satin ribbon on the pant, get it with the vest, and you’re set for under the Suit Supply version. Pants have an elastic extender at the waist, so even if you don’t wear it often, you’re still ensured a better fit.
    That's interesting. I wore my first tuxedo very rarely, and late in it's life I outgrew the pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I bought the JCF tux and wore it to a family wedding last summer. I was in a bit of the same boat doing a comparison of renting vs buying a relatively cheap but serviceable tux. I figured if I wore the JCF tux 2x I came out ahead of the rental costs.

As Galcobar noted, it's definitely a little bit of a Frankenstein tux and is missing a lot of traditional elements. Given that, I kind of took that idea and ran with it. I hate cummerbunds anyway (and I didn't want to go with a vest in the summer in central Georgia), so I ditched it and just went with an extra button stud on my shirt (so I didn't show a plain button mixed in with the studs when I took off my jacket). I had to have some alterations done to my shirt so I had another button stud opening sewn into the placket - super simple.

I did tuck the pocket flaps on my jacket. The satin on the jacket lapels has such little contrast from the rest of the material that the stitching above the pockets is enough to create at least the appearance of the more traditional look (I actually thought I remembered there being a satin accent there, but I could be wrong).

The whole look was a little non-traditional, but definitely intentional so I think it worked. No one fainted because I didn't have a check next to all the traditional black tie requirements either, so I consider it a win.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    By opinion on converted suit tuxes, is that they are acceptable, but the buyer should make an informed opinion.