Thread: Anyone have experience with Shirt Jacs?

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1435 Post(s)

Anyone have experience with Shirt Jacs?

While looking through the LL Bean catalog, I noticed their shirt jac

https://www.llbean.ca/shop/Mens-Prim...80%99s-regular

Anyone have any experience wearing one of these? If so, how do you wear it? I'm confused. Is it a shirt? A jacket? Do you wear it over a shirt or in replacement of shirt? The model is wearing it as a layering piece, so I'm guessing you don't wear it like a button down, but I'm still confused.

Anyway. Thank you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Just a shirt jacket. Usually over a henley or T shirt. Untucked and treated like a jacket. Thats about it.

Chamois or double twill falls under the same boat for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    I wear a shirt jacket sometimes. Mine is made of knit wool backed by a smooth knit poly fleece. It's sort of a shirt shaped cardigan that I wear over a T shirt, henley, or button up shirt. Mine's kind of a lightweight jacket or mid-to-heavy weight sweater. The one you linked to would be more of shirt-coat than a shirt-jacket in warmth, IMO. 80 gram primaloft insulation is pretty seriously warm - it's what the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket is insulated with and those are warm enough for true winter temps.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    How you wear it will depend on the shirt-jac, I've owned some that were quite thick wool with a Sherpa fleece lining that very much filled the role of outerwear, while some are just like slightly heavier shirts that you might layer like a sweater or sweatshirt. But yeah, it's basically meant to be a jacket or mid layer, not a replacement for a shirt.
    Ben

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    While looking through the LL Bean catalog, I noticed their shirt jac

https://www.llbean.ca/shop/Mens-Prim...80%99s-regular

Anyone have any experience wearing one of these? If so, how do you wear it? I'm confused. Is it a shirt? A jacket? Do you wear it over a shirt or in replacement of shirt? The model is wearing it as a layering piece, so I'm guessing you don't wear it like a button down, but I'm still confused.

Anyway. Thank you.
    80 gram/m³ primaloft is reasonably substantial, but still low bulk. I've got 60g primaloft jackets that are warm even below freezing (granted it's top of line primaloft ONE and Pertex Quantum GL fabric).

You'll probably want to use that jacket as a layering piece, as it'll become too warm once you're indoors. If you're going to be outside most of the time, then you can wear it like a shirt and layer another jacket over it if needed.

They don't mention what level of primaloft it is (eco, silver, gold/One, etc) so hard to tell just how warm it would be, though.

Here's some fun reading: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic.../buying-advice

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    For what it's worth this one is similar to the one I have (though it looks like it may be a woven as opposed to knit wool and hence maybe not have the same elasticity/stretchiness mine has). Also mine is charcoal grey. The green this one comes in isn't exactly neutral so it might be somewhat lacking in versatility from a coordination standpoint. https://huckberry.com/store/topo-des...hirt-exclusive
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain