Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The first date night. New style or tried and true?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Do we have an opinion about socks: Sexy or Not? Since we have options; No-Show, Ankle, Crew, Mid-Length, Over the Calf, Hose, and who knows what else. Mathis is of course if the date takes a turn for the better, and at that point you actually care about socks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    So true story. Back in my dating days, I had the tried and true go to look. Which for me was jeans and a white button down. I always thought I looked great until I was wearing the same outfit a work one day. My assistant and I were talking about dates (she was dating too) and I referenced what I wore. I'll spare you all the exact details of the conversation, but the downfall on my 'go to look' was ironing. I never ironed my shirt so I looked like a rumpled up candy wrapper on my dates. Lesson learned!
    Last edited by DocDave; October 23rd, 2019 at 01:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumTex View Post
    I'm just old and don't want to put the effort in to woo anyone.
    then don't. don't let other people or general social pressure push you into something you aren't feeling right now. I took 1 year off of women completely after my divorce and only dated very casually for the second year. It took a while for my enthusiasm and patience to come back. By taking the option off the table for a while, I had a lot of stress off of my shoulders. I spent a lot of time with friends, family, and myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    As an old married guy, it's been a while since my dating days. But I vote for tried and true! You gotta be yourself...unless you can be Batman. Then be Batman!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post
    Do we have an opinion about socks: Sexy or Not? Since we have options; No-Show, Ankle, Crew, Mid-Length, Over the Calf, Hose, and who knows what else. Mathis is of course if the date takes a turn for the better, and at that point you actually care about socks...

You don't have to worry about it because it is a done deal at that point. Even then, if she has a strong enough opinion about your socks she probably understands how easy they are to change LOL.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post

Just like with the rest of your outfit, don't venture too far from your comfort zone. A date, especially a first date, requires your full attention and confidence and you don't want to be second-guessing your style decisions. Whatever sock aesthetic you choose, just match it to the occasion.

And if the date ends up with the socks coming off, well...... Here's a word of advice that I learned many many years ago: Never be caught in your socks without pants. ALWAYS remove your socks first. I don't know where I learned that (my dad, perhaps, but I truly don't recall) but I took it to heart. I always remove my socks before my pants. It's a habit now. The thinking here is that a man standing there in briefs and socks is not a particularly sexy look. Sometimes it can be made to look so but it's rare. Almost always, it's just not an attractive thing to see. Therefore, never allow an opportunity for that to happen and make a habit out of removing your socks first. I digress a bit, but the point is that if your date finds it's way to that point, whether your socks are over the calf or no-show or whatever, should be a non-issue.

Back on track... Stay in your comfort zone for the first date. And here's a thought on styling: Earlier someone said that they might dress a bit more conservatively than usual on the first date and then reveal their clothing obsession as things develop (or something like that). Perhaps a cheeky sock is an opportunity to give a glimpse into what's the come. I'm not comfortable in bold and colorful socks but if you are, it might be the piece of your otherwise "safe" outfit that hints at a more something more interesting underneath the surface.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Dad and I never had a sock talk.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    Or you could always just go straight to the naked man move...