Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topcoat Recommendation, anyone have experience with Spier Mackay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Topcoat Recommendation, anyone have experience with Spier Mackay?

Anyone have actual experience with the S&M topcoats? How is the fit, and camel/navy colors? I find their lighting a bit bright so it's always hard to tell on their website, would appreciate any real-life pics.

I'm thinking of grabbing a topcoat for this Fall/Winter to wear without a suit, just as a quick casual option I can throw on before heading out. I'm 6' and like the mid-thigh length; also, I already have a peacoat.

For my personal clothing values, I'd rather spend a bit more on a quality coat in the $300-$400 range that is free of any poly and use it well for a couple years rather than a budget poly-blend coat, even if it looks good.

Appreciate any real-life reviews of the S&M topcoat and advice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Purchased one two years ago. I love mine. I got the navy one. I had searched for roughly 3 years for a top coat that was the right balance of price, not too boxy and warm. This one checks all the boxes.

It fits nicely over a suit without being way too big. Iím a big fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    How is the Navy, is it a dark Navy that almost looks black unless you view it close in sunlight? Or is it more blue in daylight? If you have any real world pics you're willing to post would appreciate it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I tried Spier's offering last year but ended up going with the Tyrwhitt Epsom coat in navy that is often touted on the main page (it is a very nice coat). I ended up looking all over and actually trying coats from Banana, BB and Spier before settling on Tyrwhitt. I considered trying out Suitsupply as well but for whatever reason didn't. It came down to Tyrwhitt & Spier for me. While the fabric on both was very nice, I slightly preferred the style of the Tyrwhitt. Spier's coat was very nice, though if I had gone that way I would have sized up one from my standard jacket size. From what I recall, the navy was a typical navy color, not too dark or bright, though that can always change year to year.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrading View Post
    How is the Navy, is it a dark Navy that almost looks black unless you view it close in sunlight? Or is it more blue in daylight? If you have any real world pics you're willing to post would appreciate it.
    Pretty sure itís typical navy. I havenít broken it out this year. I had tried on typical department store ones, JCrew, JCF, Banana, Suit Supply and a few others. Outside of spending 700+ this was the nicest one for me.

As mentioned you do need to size up but seems they account for it with the arm holes etc with a suit coat on. Iíve worn it with and without a suit coat on. I really love mine.

I donít have any pics off hand but could maybe snap one when home.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I have a double-breasted overcoat in green and a black peacoat (I picked that one up on final clearance; I would have gotten navy if one had been available). I love them both.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    I love my Spier and Mackay coats that I just bought about 2 months back (on clearance with a 15 or 20% off coupon!). They were a fantastic deal and I think also of fantastic quality. I couldn't find any that competed. Todd Snyder's are too bulky (not slim fit at all). Suit Supplys are too expensive and I didn't like them as much as S&M. I ended up buying three S&M ones—the single breasted Camel, the double breasted Green, and the double-breasted Brown. They are all fantastic and I highly recommend them. They are pretty slim too, which I like.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I've got the Spier & Mackay in charcoal. What attracted me is the 3-roll-2 buttoning which seems to be less common. I usually wear a 40 suit jacket and sized up to 42 to give more room over a suit. I also tried the 40 but it was a little snug. I did wind up having the 42's waist taken in slightly. Overall a very nice overcoat with nice fabric and a sharp cut.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    I've got the Spier & Mackay in charcoal. What attracted me is the 3-roll-2 buttoning which seems to be less common. I usually wear a 40 suit jacket and sized up to 42 to give more room over a suit. I also tried the 40 but it was a little snug. I did wind up having the 42's waist taken in slightly. Overall a very nice overcoat with nice fabric and a sharp cut.
    Hey Slubby Linen, I'm in the same boat and was wondering if I should get my 46 coat taken in. I typically wear a 44L, but since the coats don't come in L length, I went for the 46. How much did it cost to get tailored, if you don't mind me asking?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)
    I have their duffle coat in charcoal and wear it religiously once the weather cools off. Don't really see duffle coats around here so it stands out.

I've been extremely happy with everything I've gotten from Spier. If the sturdy construction of the duffle is any indicator, you'll love that topcoat.