Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dresser Options - Drawers give me fits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Dresser Options - Drawers give me fits

I searched the forum but couldn't find a thread discussing options for non-hanging clothes storage. For those things that aren't hug (casual shorts and t-shirts, workout clothes, bed-wear, undies, etc), what are some of your preferred means for storing them? Where a struggle with a dresser is in a couple of ways: I have to remove the stack of clothes when returning freshly laundered items (because, FIFO) and; My drawers don't pull all the way out, making it frustrating to deal with the stacks. Am I missing a better solution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Rolling instead of folding can help. You can get some storage solutions that are conducive to rolling.

You can roll or fold clothes and place them perpendicular to the drawer so that the rounded folded edge faces out (allows you to see a whole stack instead of just the top item).

I put the following in drawers: Socks, underwear, workout clothes, shorts, non jean/non work pants (e.g. hiking pants, etc).

I don't care if these items get a little messy because they are for around the house, working out, or outdoor chores.

Everything else goes on a hanger.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Agreed to insert everything upright like a file cabinet so that you can rotate.

My other tips would be boxes and possibly installing new metal runners.

Boxes are easy... I use cloth boxes so that I can remove the entire box to put the laundered clothes in the back. This also serves to separate items by type.

You can install metal runners underneath the drawers on most dressers. The main drawback to installing on the bottom vs. the sides is the weight gets carried on the thin edge of the metal, so they can bend if they are overloaded. Thus, you'll want something that can support the drawer itself+whatever clothes you plan to put in the dresser. As long as you don't use too flimsy a runner, this tends to work great.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    I have a 12"x 12" cube system of about 20 cubes in my closet and I fold and stack most of my t-shirts, sweat pants, lounge wear, jeans, and so forth so I can see at a glance what is in the cubes. Socks and underwear are in drawers. I hang just about everything else. I am thinking of starting to stack my boxer briefs as well. I fold them all anyway, so they would be easy to see if they were out in the open.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    Rolling instead of folding can help. You can get some storage solutions that are conducive to rolling.

You can roll or fold clothes and place them perpendicular to the drawer so that the rounded folded edge faces out (allows you to see a whole stack instead of just the top item).

I put the following in drawers: Socks, underwear, workout clothes, shorts, non jean/non work pants (e.g. hiking pants, etc).

I don't care if these items get a little messy because they are for around the house, working out, or outdoor chores.

Everything else goes on a hanger.

I do the method pictured here. Everything is organized by type and color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    That looks great, but I've always found that it requires the drawer be full, or things fall over.

I'd second the boxes suggestion. Got some generic fabric home decor boxes and use that to keep underwear, socks, casual tees, undershirts. Only thing I really care about keeping folded is the t-shirts and I pull the box out as far as I need from a cupboard rather than drawers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    That looks great, but I've always found that it requires the drawer be full, or things fall over.

I'd second the boxes suggestion. Got some generic fabric home decor boxes and use that to keep underwear, socks, casual tees, undershirts. Only thing I really care about keeping folded is the t-shirts and I pull the box out as far as I need from a cupboard rather than drawers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Some good ideas, so far! It's making me think that some Elfa-type system might make more sense than a traditional dresser. Rolling things, turning them on their side, pulling out boxes, etc... requires a bit more versatility and flexibility than a typical dresser would offer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post

When folding them in the Marie kondo method they become an upside down U and can stand up pretty well. Also she recommends boxes within drawers etc.

The benefit is you don’t have the issues of stacking and can see all your clothes easily.

As to the Elfa “closet” we have our master walk in done this way. But you run into the same issues as your have drawers or shelves. You still need to either stack or fold. It doesn’t “solve” the problem. It’s just a different approach. They are nice for hanging. But not cheap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Ya. I guess what I like about Elfa drawer systems is the variety of drawer sizes when and where you want them. So I can arrange my drawers based on how I need and use them rather than force fitting into what's already given.