Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Flannel Shirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Traditional Flannel Shirts

Are there any flannel shirts that are considered traditional?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    LL Bean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I think you could make an argument that a two-pocket, workshirt style is a bit more "traditional" than one with a single pocket and a buttondown collar, but it's not going to make a difference to most people. I have both, and wear both. Do you mean patterns or colors? A buffalo plaid (really a large-scale check) is probably one of the most traditional patterns you'll see in a flannel shirt.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    which episode of Supernatural are you attempting to recreate?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I personally like the fit of Lands' End flagship flannel much better than LL Bean. Even in their "slightly fitted" cut (the slimmest they make, I believe), the LL Bean shirts I tried were pretty baggy. Granted, a flannel shirt shouldn't fit skin-tight, but it shouldn't fit like a sack, either. LE makes traditional, tailored, and slim fit (but only the traditional and tailored in tall sizes). For me, at 6'2" and 210 lbs., the medium tall tailored fit for LE was the right choice. Still plenty of room to move, and I can wash and dry them without worrying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
    Even in their "slightly fitted" cut (the slimmest they make, I believe), the LL Bean shirts I tried were pretty baggy.
    LL Bean now makes a "slimmest fit" that is actually fairly slim. Not quite JCrew slim level, but almost.

I bought one a few weeks ago but returned it. The fit was good and the construction seemed very good, but I was not impressed with the fabric itself. It was fairly smooth and soft but thin and not at all fuzzy like a flannel shirt should be. It did not seem to be brushed at all.

Their chamois shirts have a great heft and brushed feel, but they don't make them in a slim enough cut for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    I don't know that I fully understand what you mean by traditional. brand? cut? pattern? features?

I don't see tradition describing work wear like flannel shirts beause they grew out of practical need rather than the structures of socialization in society. Are there "traditional" jeans?

If you're looking for "heritage" brands that do flannel, then I'd also consider Pendleton and, more expensive, Gitman Brothers.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    I have one LLBean shirt. I will likely be picking up more. Can't recommend them enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Pendleton, which isn’t flannel, but is the classic as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    If Pendleton doesn't make flannel then it defies belief that they make the most traditional flannel.
    Ben