Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Flannel Shirts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Your question made me think of this: https://www.outsideonline.com/235031...-about-flannel

"traditional" flannel = 100% wool?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    Gustin has some really nice flannels in solid colors if plaid isn't your thang. Nothing at Gustin is "inexpensive" as it were, but everything is of ridiculously good quality. So it'll last a *LOT* longer than something from JCF or similar.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Not sure what you're referring to as "traditional" - classic patterns, long time purveyors, or "Trad" in the menswear sense of traditionally Ivy League prep. In addition to those already mentioned, another longtime purveyor (maybe THE longest time purveyor) is Woolrich. LL Bean, because it's on the East Coast in New England, which is the epicenter of Trad, is probably closest linked to the Trad menswear movement. Unless J Press or Brooks Brothers sell flannel shirts (they may) LL Bean is as close to Trad as you can find. As for classic patterns, LL Bean has several Scottish Tartan patterns that are pretty classic. Buffalo check is probably the most classic pattern for flannel shirts, and Woolrich usually has a buffalo check flannel. Buffalo check is more mountain man, tartan plaids are more East Coast trad dude on the weekend. Land's End also has been selling flannel shirts, in fairly classic patterns, for a long time but they're based in the Midwest so less closely linked to the Trad menswear movement.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    643 Post(s)
    the current Pendleton shirts are a shell of their epic former selves. they used to be totally awesome, the old made in USA wool ones....
    Last edited by evanparker; October 17th, 2019 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    643 Post(s)
    i would like to suggest that a company called VERMONT FLANNEL CO has the best flannels for most people. They're two pocket, right above the price of the LL Bean ones, and made out of outrageously soft flannel, in VT, USA.

all of their color combinations are positively pheonominal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i would like to suggest that a company called VERMONT FLANNEL CO has the best flannels for most people. They're two pocket, right above the price of the LL Bean ones, and made out of outrageously soft flannel, in VT, USA.

all of their color combinations are positively pheonominal.

When it comes to flannel, Vermont is pretty much the American epicenter. I guess one could argue for Maine, or NH - anywhere in the northern tier of New England would do.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I'm from Vermont and would like to support these folks, but do all their shirts come with that obnoxious tag on the front?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    I'm from Vermont and would like to support these folks, but do all their shirts come with that obnoxious tag on the front?
    I agree with you, but that's easy enough to remove with small scissors—you just have to be careful and go slowly.

I'm happy to know this company exists, but I have to say that I would not consider these colors/patterns to be traditional. Also, this is just a personal weirdness, but I wouldn't buy one of these because of the biased pockets.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    I'm curious about Vermont Flannels sizing. Their large is a 51" chest and 37.5" sleeve. That seems ginormous to me. Even the small seems huge. Am I reading this wrong?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm curious about Vermont Flannels sizing. Their large is a 51" chest and 37.5" sleeve. That seems ginormous to me. Even the small seems huge. Am I reading this wrong?

It is! I’m usually a L and I’m a 44” chest, 36 sleeve. The small on this chart is that size chest.