Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One button single-breasted blazer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

One button single-breasted blazer

I have found many single-breasted blazers and sport coats as well as suit jackets with only one button. I know most standard jackets like those have two or three buttons. Would one button look good?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    One's all you button anyway.

Fun fact: the "only button one button" thing came about because a certain King was so plump and rotund he couldn't button the bottom buttons on his jackets or waistcoats, so everyone around him did the same and congratulated him on setting a new standard of style. The things we learn when we're bored and cruising Hugo Jacomet's youtube channel.

Do they have holes for the buttons with just no buttons? If so those can be replaced pretty easily and cheaply. Or are these items being made with just a single button? If the latter, I'd love a link to see them as I've never seen in the wild other than with black tie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I see a lot of inexpensive one button blazers at places like Amazon.com and I'm not quite sure what to make of them. Some are nice looking but the one button is unconventional and seems at odds with the "rules".

BTW, RE buttoning only one button, I was at the airport recently and a guy was wearing a sharp sport coat but had both buttons buttoned. He was college age and probably new to this stuff. I almost said something knowing my total anonymity would spare him some possible embarrassment, but didn't. Had a similar thing at the grocery store the other day. Young guy, sharp sport coat, but he hadn't snipped out the tack stitching in the vent. Again I almost said something but didn't. Still debating whether I made the right call.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    I see a lot of inexpensive one button blazers at places like Amazon.com and I'm not quite sure what to make of them. Some are nice looking but the one button is unconventional and seems at odds with the "rules".

BTW, RE buttoning only one button, I was at the airport recently and a guy was wearing a sharp sport coat but had both buttons buttoned. He was college age and probably new to this stuff. I almost said something knowing my total anonymity would spare him some possible embarrassment, but didn't. Had a similar thing at the grocery store the other day. Young guy, sharp sport coat, but he hadn't snipped out the tack stitching in the vent. Again I almost said something but didn't. Still debating whether I made the right call.
    It's usually safer to say nothing--almost always.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    They do not have a hole or a button at the bottom. It's from amazon and its a cheapy jacket, but it has deacent reviews.
    https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=HWN19_G...pd_rd_wg=V13Cr

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Here's a mildly entertaining article about one button jackets.

https://www.bondsuits.com/one-button-suit/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Oops that link doesn't work, here's the real link

https://www.amazon.com/COOFANDY-Cott...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    One-button jackets are less traditional, so you've got to be willing to carry the usually low button stance. It generally looks a little odd on anyone who's not in good shape, assuming the jacket was cut with a one-button closure and isn't just a two-button design missing a buttonhole.

Given they're more for the flashy side, it's not surprising to find them being sold as cheap, disposable fast fashion.

That said, if you want to see it done well, check out the character Cary Agos on The Good Wife. They wanted the young, aggressive, fashion-conscious look for him in contrast to the main character's more conservative (and less expensive) wardrobe so every suit was a one-button designer piece.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeh5335 View Post
    Oops that link doesn't work, here's the real link

https://www.amazon.com/COOFANDY-Cott...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    A word on Coofandy--I've purchased some of their clothing for costume purposes (we go to a lot of costume parties). The sizes run very small. If a large is usually good for me, I take an XXL or XXXL in their clothing. I'm a 42 in suit jackets. I can barely button the XXL jacket I have from them. Also, they are about as well made as you might expect for the price.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    One-button isnít offensive, but itís not a style Iím going to invest money in.

Also, donít buy a $55 sport coat off of Amazon, no matter how many buttons it has. This should be self-explanatory.