Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flint and Tinder - 10 Year Hoodie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Flint and Tinder - 10 Year Hoodie?

I've been looking at these for a bit now - https://huckberry.com/store/flint-an...10-year-hoodie - but can't quite decide. I like the idea of a hoodie that is built to last, but I can't quite tell the style/fit from the pictures. My normal hoodie is usage is a layering item that I might wear as a lazy, running out quick for some errands jacket alternative. I will wear one around the house a good bit in the colder months as alternative to a sweater since I'm not as concerned with getting random kid food on a hoodie. But again, I also want that hoodie to function as a layering item under things like a Northface jacket. I've found that a hoodie under my lightweight Northface insulated jacket (I think it's their "hoodie") works perfectly for the cold months.

Does anyone have this hoodie? It kind of looks a little "beefy", and they note that they use the beefy fleece. I'm wondering it is a little geared towards a heavier weight jacket alternative than I really want. At that price for a hoodie, it needs to be perfect.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)
    I do not have any experience with this hoodie.

Based on the images alone, I agree with your assessment that the hoodie is 'beefy'. I am guessing the hoodie is more of jacket and less of layering piece. Just a guess though. Nice looking hoodie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    So, I ended up buying this hoodie last year and I returned it. I wanted to like it but it had one major flaw that made it look and feel kind of awkward to me - the hood. It's huge. I have never worn a hoodie that has a bigger hood and I felt like it totally threw off how the hoodie should look. That and heaven forbid trying to actually use it as a hood, it was honestly too big to be functional. It was around the size of the hood on my ski jacket, which is meant to accommodate for wearing it over a helmet. the hoodie as a whole was fairly nice, I liked the material and I think it is meant more to be a top layer than a layering piece. But frankly even if the hood was better I still think I would have found it to be a little over priced.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I don't have this one but I do own a couple of the American Giant ones (https://www.american-giant.com/produ...p-winter-green) that are direct competition. I went back and forth between the two brands before settling on American Giant (they have a 15% off promo for new customers). I love the hoodies I ended up with and wear them daily in the late fall/winter when bumming around the house. They are definitely on the heavier side and I will use them in place of a jacket when walking the dog in temps down to the high 40s/low 50s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Good feedback on Flint and Tinder and American Giant. Looking at the Flint and Tinder site now, those hoods do look huge. The American Giant brand uses 13 oz fleece compared to 23 oz for Flint and Tinder. Would that mean the American Giant would be noticeably "less beefy"? which is what I want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I didn’t realize the gap between the weight of the cotton was that large. Personally, I wouldn’t want a hoodie nearly twice the weight of what I’ve got, which is already very heavy (for a hoodie) and thick enough to not have to worry about wearing out areas like the elbows. I’ve never tried F&T’s, but on paper it seems to be overkill, at least for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    I don't think a ten year hoodie is that much of an accomplishment. I mean, I have had normal cheap hoodies, I have never worn them out. I could see a graphic on a hoodie fading, but a hoodie, even a favorite, worn every day hoodie is going to last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have it and concur with Ito, the hood is absurdly gigantic. I am not entirely sure why they didn't adjust it, seems quite strange. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I kept it. It is very well made, and I wear it around the house, so it serves a purpose, but I wouldn't wear it out regularly just because of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have an American Giant "moto jacket" which is a zip-front hoodie with a small stand-up collar instead of a hood. I love it, I think it's very well made and the fabric is IMO just heavy enough for how I wear it. Not inexpensive, but made in USA and likely to last a long time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Hollow View Post
    I have it and concur with Ito, the hood is absurdly gigantic. I am not entirely sure why they didn't adjust it, seems quite strange. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I kept it. It is very well made, and I wear it around the house, so it serves a purpose, but I wouldn't wear it out regularly just because of that.
    I got the F&T hoodie a couple years back. It's very nice, the hood is indeed huge. One reason it seems so big is that they literally doubled the fabric over, so the hood has two layers of 23 oz fabric rather than just one. IMO the issue would have been solved if they'd just sewn a seam with a tube for the drawstring around the edge of the hood and made the hood a single layer. I liked the fit of it better than the American Giant (which I ordered and returned) so I kept it. With a little wear the hood softens up and the issue gets a little less problematic but it's by no means perfect. I have an old LL Bean hoodie I wear just around the house that has lasted well over 10 years so 10 years is not an accomplishment. The LL Bean one makes my upper half look like a basketball though as it is as wide as it is long. So if I'm wearing a hoodie out, which I don't do all that often but sometimes, I grab the Flint and Tinder.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain