Thread: Anyone bought a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser in the past few years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Question Anyone bought a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser in the past few years?

I've been wanting one of their cruiser jackets for some time and have been hesitant to pull the trigger on it. I've read that Filson's quality has been slipping in recent years, but I've also read some people saying that most of their legacy items (like the Mackinaw wool items) haven't been affected by the quality issues. Even more confusing is that a couple reviews were stating that quality can vary depending on whether you get a solid color vs a plaid? Anyone purchased from them in recent years that can offer feedback?

Also any thoughts on the mackinaw vs double-mackinaw?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Teti View Post
    I've been wanting one of their cruiser jackets for some time and have been hesitant to pull the trigger on it. I've read that Filson's quality has been slipping in recent years, but I've also read some people saying that most of their legacy items (like the Mackinaw wool items) haven't been affected by the quality issues. Even more confusing is that a couple reviews were stating that quality can vary depending on whether you get a solid color vs a plaid? Anyone purchased from them in recent years that can offer feedback?

Also any thoughts on the mackinaw vs double-mackinaw?
    I have a buffalo plaid mackinaw I bought maybe 5 years ago. Quality is solid. I don’t know about more recent manufacture from Filson. I do think that the buffalo wool is a little different from the solid (maybe 18 oz vs 20 or something?). If you can get to a Filson store in say NY or SF or Portland or Seattle, you’d be able to check firsthand.

The double cruiser is really really heavy and might be too much for anywhere south of upstate New York or Canada....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    I have a buffalo plaid mackinaw I bought maybe 5 years ago. Quality is solid. I don’t know about more recent manufacture from Filson. I do think that the buffalo wool is a little different from the solid (maybe 18 oz vs 20 or something?). If you can get to a Filson store in say NY or SF or Portland or Seattle, you’d be able to check firsthand.

The double cruiser is really really heavy and might be too much for anywhere south of upstate New York or Canada....
    Thanks this is helpful. Looking at Ohio winters with a possible move to Washington in the future -- sounds like the double may be overkill.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I bought a forest green one about 3 years ago and absolutely love it. Quality is top notch. Filson runs big so I did have the sides taken in a bit. Double is overkill in my opinion. You can usually find one on sale if you look around a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrl88 View Post
    I bought a forest green one about 3 years ago and absolutely love it. Quality is top notch. Filson runs big so I did have the sides taken in a bit. Double is overkill in my opinion. You can usually find one on sale if you look around a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the feedback. The forest green is the one I was leaning toward as well.