Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wore a cardigan for the first time today - why did I wait?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    For those that like them are you going with chunky or thin/slim style cardigans. I have both and wear the chunky for both business casual and casual/relaxing. Slim for just business casual Just wondering what everyone else is doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    There's an inflection point for cardigans and looking old. It's when gray hair % > 50.
    That would definitely explain it.

It's funny to me, the irony of it. I mean, I accepted some time ago that I'm no longer young and that I have to be cognizant of age-appropriate attire. A cardigan at my age is a not a good style choice and that's really funny to me.
    Last edited by JohnR; October 9th, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I used to think the thin cardigans really favored those thinner than myself, but maybe Iíll give them a try again. I love me a nice merino wool v-neck over an ocbd, I assume itís not much different? Also I like the look and comfort of chunkier cardigans so Iíll look for a sale.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    For those that like them are you going with chunky or thin/slim style cardigans. I have both and wear the chunky for both business casual and casual/relaxing. Slim for just business casual Just wondering what everyone else is doing.
    Thin cardigan. Thick chunky cardigans are not work place appropriate for me. At for casual settings Iím just not a fan. My grandfather used to wear them all the time and they just scream old to me.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArÍte View Post
    I'm still waiting and unsure...but you inspire me to give it a shot!
    Go for it. I was hesitant for the longest while. Then I was in a local store here and they had a cardigan on display. I took a photo and posted to the forums. Someone wrote "If I bought that, I'd wear the hell out of it" or something along those lines. Bowing to the peer pressure of the forums (which is strange as I've never met any of you. Oh well...) I returned and bought the cardigan.

Then it sat in my closet ALL SUMMER since I bought the thing just as spring was hitting. I've only worn it twice so far, but I am liking it. I'm sure I'll end up getting another one too. Some good recommendations here.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    I wear everything I wouldn't want to be caught dead in. Definitely don't knock it 'till you try it. Though, it seems like people just need to stop worrying about people's perception (you look like an old guy, that character, "I don't wanna be that cardigan guy").

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Here is the one I purchased recently:

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...p-page-content

Actually I bought 2, one brown one navy.

Nice heavy weight which I like. If I want something lighter I will go with my crew or v neck cashmere sweaters.

These are so versatile I'm not sure why I resisted. Wear them buttoned with a white t-shirt, jean and a pair of dark suede chukkas. Or unbuttoned with a burgundy henley.

Layer them under a quilted or puffer jacket and they are quite warm.

As far as looking old in them.... I am old. So what.

I got lots of compliments the few times I have worn them so far. Must be cause I have < 50% gray hair.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    Thanks @Ron. I get a lot of my clothing from the Gap. Might as well add one or two cardigans too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Thanks @Ron. I get a lot of my clothing from the Gap. Might as well add one or two cardigans too.
    Welcome Dave. Gap is running a 40% + 10% off sale so it drops the price down to $48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Here is the one I purchased recently:

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...p-page-content

Actually I bought 2, one brown one navy.

Nice heavy weight which I like. If I want something lighter I will go with my crew or v neck cashmere sweaters.

These are so versatile I'm not sure why I resisted. Wear them buttoned with a white t-shirt, jean and a pair of dark suede chukkas. Or unbuttoned with a burgundy henley.

Layer them under a quilted or puffer jacket and they are quite warm.

As far as looking old in them.... I am old. So what.

I got lots of compliments the few times I have worn them so far. Must be cause I have < 50% gray hair.

Thanks for the tip. I may have picked up a couple myself...I was sorely lacking in cardigans.
    Last edited by ElDub; October 11th, 2019 at 01:27 PM.