Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wore a cardigan for the first time today - why did I wait?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1108 Post(s)
    Love cardigans. more comfortable than a blazer and more suitable for casual occasions, but still offers that visual layering effect.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    I'm still waiting and unsure...but you inspire me to give it a shot!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So. Being new to the cardigan game, where you all suggest going to purchase them? And I'm talking the beefy kind of cardigans here. I guess they might be called shawl cardigans, as opposed to the slimmer versions worn by Mr. Rogers.
    I am tempted to buy a cardigan from Northern Watters (Canadian Company). They make sweaters for the company Epaulet which is a pretty expensive store compared to the Dappered norms. While they have shawl collar cardigans, I for some reason want one of their belted sweaters with contrasting belt.

https://www.nwknitwear.com/cat/Sweaters

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    I love cardigans! Shawl collar ones can be a bit more casual alternative to a blazer too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlielo View Post
    I picked up a nice wool chore jacket from Jcrew (basically a cardigan) and love it! Nice, and cozy (medium thickness) and works well over a button down and tie.
    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...e=hthr-flannel
    I was tempted to pick that up, too, over the weekend cuz my local store had it for 40% off, but half the reviews mention that it pills like crazy. I'm ok with dealing with some pilling and have sweater shavers, but sometimes I feel like it's just not worth dealing with it all the time if it's especially bad.

It fit really well and was a great mid weight/color and I didn't find it itchy. I especially loved that combo shawl/notch collar.

What's your experience so far with it?
    Last edited by Nandyn; October 9th, 2019 at 12:23 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Love cardis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    I was tempted to pick that up, too, over the weekend cuz my local store had it for 40% off, but half the reviews mention that it pills like crazy. I'm ok with dealing with some pilling and have sweater shavers, but sometimes I feel like it's just not worth dealing with it all the time if it's especially bad.

It fit really well and was a great mid weight/color and I didn't find it itchy. I especially loved that combo shawl/notch collar.

What's your experience so far with it?
    Oh, I will have to keep that in mind! I haven’t had any pilling yet but I’ve only worn it a couple of times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I wore cardigans 10-20 years ago. The problem with them now is that I'm too old to look stylish in them. Instead, I just look.... old. Weird how that works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I wore cardigans 10-20 years ago. The problem with them now is that I'm too old to look stylish in them. Instead, I just look.... old. Weird how that works.
    There's an inflection point for cardigans and looking old. It's when gray hair % > 50.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So. Being new to the cardigan game, where you all suggest going to purchase them? And I'm talking the beefy kind of cardigans here. I guess they might be called shawl cardigans, as opposed to the slimmer versions worn by Mr. Rogers.
    I have one from Scott and Charters that I got last year from NMWA. Nice, chunky, and soft. They just restocked all colors a couple of weeks ago for this year. Slightly less expensive is an option from Kent Wang. Seen shots of them on instagram and SF. Would've picked it up if not for the S&C I already have. I think he sold out the last round but is taking preorders for restocking at the end of the month.