Thread: Tweed jacket outfits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tweed jacket outfits?

Greetings, all. I was lucky to pick up two Harris Tweed jackets from Brooks Brothers during their recent 30% off (when buying three items) sale, which I stacked with aa 15% discount for getting their BB Mastercard. I'm a college professor, so I've been wanting some genuine Harris Tweed jackets for years, but I balked at the poor quality of everything below $500 and the $800+ prices on the nice stuff from O'Connell's. I also wanted center vents because it looks better on me and is the more traditional look for tweed. Okay, okay, here's the thing: I don't know what to wear these with.

Tweed 1: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...os=9&cgid=0217.

Tweed 2 (mislabeled on web site- it's 2 button, center vent): https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...s=23&cgid=0217

My workplace is business casual, so dark jeans are okay with button-downs. Dress slacks are a bit much, mostly Dockers around here.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Prof. Haberdash

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    628 Post(s)
    basically anything you can come up with, from wool slacks to chinos to jeans, a tweed sport coat is up for.

(just not black pants...)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Easy - one way to handle a tweed sport coat is to treat it like a Harrington or soft shell or other “elevated casual” outerwear piece as opposed to a suit coat. Harris Tweed is burly, so you can just toss it over a chair back, let it get rumpled, and not worry about babying it. Everything can just follow from that.

For specifics: dark denim or khaki or olive chinos with the grey jacket; medium wash denim or any color chinos with the dark jacket. OCBD shirt or even a rugby shirt if you are going casual. Shoes can range from elevated sneakers to desert boots to longwing brogues. Given your casual office setting, I personally wouldn’t wear wool trousers or polished dress Oxford shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Haberdash View Post
    Greetings, all. I was lucky to pick up two Harris Tweed jackets from Brooks Brothers during their recent 30% off (when buying three items) sale, which I stacked with aa 15% discount for getting their BB Mastercard. I'm a college professor, so I've been wanting some genuine Harris Tweed jackets for years, but I balked at the poor quality of everything below $500 and the $800+ prices on the nice stuff from O'Connell's. I also wanted center vents because it looks better on me and is the more traditional look for tweed. Okay, okay, here's the thing: I don't know what to wear these with.

Tweed 1: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...os=9&cgid=0217.

Tweed 2 (mislabeled on web site- it's 2 button, center vent): https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...s=23&cgid=0217

My workplace is business casual, so dark jeans are okay with button-downs. Dress slacks are a bit much, mostly Dockers around here.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Prof. Haberdash

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Exactly what motosacto said above. I have both gray and brown tweed sportcoats and I wear them as described above. Five pocket cords also work. I am in a place where I can also wear flannel trousers with them as well, but it sounds like that might be a bit dressy for your place of work.

I think I most often go business mullet on these. Tweed is so versatile that it looks good with dark and light denim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks!

Thanks, gentlemen. This is giving me some great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MediumTex View Post
    Exactly what motosacto said above. I have both gray and brown tweed sportcoats and I wear them as described above. Five pocket cords also work. I am in a place where I can also wear flannel trousers with them as well, but it sounds like that might be a bit dressy for your place of work.

I think I most often go business mullet on these. Tweed is so versatile that it looks good with dark and light denim.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Check this example from Esquire. Very urban-contemporary, but still dressed down...

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...cket-new-york/
    Mark