Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Dress Boot for Winter Business Meetings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Which Dress Boot for Winter Business Meetings?

I'm looking to buy a pair of Dress boots for my business travel this winter to locations with wet/snow weather.
    Looking at the Allen Edmonds Daltons or the Allen Edmonds Hamiltons.
    Does anyone have experience with either as far as comfort?
    Would one work better for slacks/chinos over the other? I primarly wear grey or blue slacks.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    I have Daltons and love them. If traveling, I would try to get a pair with Dainite soles to extend the life of the sole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks, glad to hear that you love them! Yes, I was looking at the weatherproof one that they have.

Do you think the Higgins Mill Boot in Brown Comexial leather can be worn with slacks/chinos? Or is the shape of the boot too rounded at the front and not really appropriate for semi-dress wear (for what its worth I already own this boot, mostly wear it with jeans but wondering if I can use it in this scenario as well)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    I am really loving my recently purchased AE Stirlings. I think they are more formal than Daltons (which I also love).

On sale right now for about $310.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/b...ot/SF7588.html
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    "Business" dress can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but as someone who owns both the Dalton & Higgins Mill (the new rough out suede version), the Dalton is much more appropriate for business. The Higgins Mill, to me, are a perfect boot to wear with jeans. They are a step above a Red Wing-type work boot but not as formal as something like the Dalton. All that said, I've had the Dalton boots (dark brown, Dainite sole) for two years now and those damn things still squeak no matter what lotion I work into the leather. It's not as bad as the first few months I had them, but it's still noticeable in a quiet room. For that reason, I'll look elsewhere if/when I choose to replace them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I know they are iconic and all, but there is just something about the Dalton that just seems off to me--I can't explain it. I dig the Hamilton, which is, I think, basically a cap-toe version of the Sterling.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    The Higgins Mill is more of a work boot than a dress boot. The reverse welt is pronounced and the contrasting color gives more of a casual vibe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I’ll throw in AE Sullivan Street. I like mine more than my Daltons. Seconds available for under $200 if you’re feeling lucky

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Higgins Mill is even called a "casual" boot on their website. And granted, in a world of sneakers and Uggs, it's less casual than what a lot of people wear, it's still not what I'd call business. Maybe business casual, but for meetings? I'd avoid it. I think the Hamilton is your best bet, but that's influenced by the fact that I love oxford boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    "Business" dress can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but as someone who owns both the Dalton & Higgins Mill (the new rough out suede version), the Dalton is much more appropriate for business. The Higgins Mill, to me, are a perfect boot to wear with jeans. They are a step above a Red Wing-type work boot but not as formal as something like the Dalton. All that said, I've had the Dalton boots (dark brown, Dainite sole) for two years now and those damn things still squeak no matter what lotion I work into the leather. It's not as bad as the first few months I had them, but it's still noticeable in a quiet room. For that reason, I'll look elsewhere if/when I choose to replace them.
    Rub saddle soap into the tongue everywhere it contacts other leather. The squeak will never be heard again. This works pretty much 100% of the time