Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 120

Thread: Dappered confessions

  1. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    Fair enough. 505 is basically 501 with a zipper. Wear them enough and they’ll become dad jeans like mine ;-)
    Hah. In a dark rinse they work nicely. I have 26" thighs and 19" calves, so not all of these new fashionable jean styles work for my body.

    That being said, athletic cut Bonobos actually do...shame they're about 3x the cost.

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    Hah. In a dark rinse they work nicely. I have 26" thighs and 19" calves, so not all of these new fashionable jean styles work for my body.

    That being said, athletic cut Bonobos actually do...shame they're about 3x the cost.

    505s really aren't bad assuming you have some decent sized legs (which you do). The problem was always more the combination of the light wash and the guys who had slimmer legs wearing them. I still prefer the 502 fit but I don't like higher waste lines and have poverty calves.

  3. #83
    Member Mercer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I'm a bit late here and answering at a time when the subject of the thread has shifted to jeans!

    Well, let's see, like others have confessed, I too wear cologne, own flip-flops, and have a suit that I don't wear often, to name a few.

    But as for my most scandalous "confession," rather than tell you, let me show you . . . .

    In the photos below I'm wearing Red Wing Pecos boots (which may be a Dappered no-no, but I'm told that they're something of a staple in Southern prep circles). But the "scandalous" part isn't the boots themselves but the socks I'm wearing in the 2nd photo (yep, I went 70s or 80s old school, and nope, I would NEVER wear them with shorts -- only under long pants and boots). I guess I just like pairing said socks with jeans and boots because it's out of the ordinary, yet nobody has to know except me and whomever I wish to share my "secret" with.




  4. #84
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure I had those socks in elementary School in the early 80s.

  5. #85
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    I'm still a little torn over whether 501s are dad jeans. It turns out the subject has been debated -- at length -- on the intarwebz over the last decade or so. My impression is it shakes out like this: 501s CAN be dad jeans but are not dad jeans PER SE. And what is decisive is the wash, not the cut. The iconic, middle-of-the-road cut gets nudged into either dad or stylish zones by the wash being either light or raw/dark.

    Of course this takes you straight to the question of whether a pair of 501s that started life in raw form but has faded naturally to a light shade gets classified as dad jeans. I'm no expert but I think I'd be inclined to say no, although it would depend on the particulars of the fading and wear. If it's just uniform fading and softening due to washing then maybe it gets you into dad jean territory. But if it's rugged looking wear and tear then i think you're OK (not that dad jeans are necessarily not OK...in fact they seem to be having kind of a moment, with varying degrees of irony of course...).
    I think there is a difference without a distinction there. If someone can't tell between pre-washed and faded raw jeans, it doesn't matter.

    I think dad jeans have two basic characteristics, 1) they are comfortable. 2) they are unfashionable. Now some fashionistos who have been wearing jeans so tight, that it may not be possible for them to become dads, have declared straight cut jeans dad jeans. This is ignorance, because, really the fit is a combination of the shape of the pants, and the shape of the legs. People with skinny legs can wear skinny jeans. 501s, especially shrink to fit, can be just as tight on someone with moderate size or larger legs.

  6. #86
    Member Mercer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I'm pretty sure I had those socks in elementary School in the early 80s.
    Same here!

  7. #87
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think there is a difference without a distinction there. If someone can't tell between pre-washed and faded raw jeans, it doesn't matter.

    I think dad jeans have two basic characteristics, 1) they are comfortable. 2) they are unfashionable. Now some fashionistos who have been wearing jeans so tight, that it may not be possible for them to become dads, have declared straight cut jeans dad jeans. This is ignorance, because, really the fit is a combination of the shape of the pants, and the shape of the legs. People with skinny legs can wear skinny jeans. 501s, especially shrink to fit, can be just as tight on someone with moderate size or larger legs.
    Here's a pic to help talk about the wash:



    My point is that the one on the left is a Dad jean wash and the one on the right isn't. I don't think it really matters how you get there. The left pair may have been bought new like that (and most likely was). Or it could have faded to its inform medium blue shade through multiple washings after doing Dad stuff around the house. Either way it's a Dad jean wash. Likewise the right pair is NOT a Dad jean wash even if it was earned through doing Dad stuff. IOW, as a matter of style it's strictly how a pair of jeans looks that determines its Dad jean status IMO, not its history.

    As to the argument that 501s can be skinny or baggy depending on whether they're worn on a slim or meaty frame and whether they're bought oversize or too small -- this goes without saying and is true of any pair of jeans (or really any piece of clothing, right?). What matters is that a typical pair of 501s on a typical frame is neither unstylish Dad jeans roomy nor modern slim. Instead it's sort of a middle-of-the-road cut -- classic and timeless as they say -- and the overall vibe of a particular pair doesn't come down to the basic cut but to other things. That's why 501s aren't Dad jeans per se, even though they certainly can be.

    BTW, here's the article that's the source of the pic. It makes some pretty good points. https://www.gq.com/story/gq-dad-jeans

    And here's Jerry Seinfeld wearing a pair of reference-quality Dad jeans...


  8. #88
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)
    I think we are mostly in agreement. Although, I wonder if 90's jeans might not be a more appropriate term. All the "dad jeans" that gq likes, not only lack the medium blue wash, but also the cut, even unwore, is obviously low and tapered, even is they are slightly higher and slightly looser than was previously the fashion.

  9. #89
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think we are mostly in agreement. Although, I wonder if 90's jeans might not be a more appropriate term. All the "dad jeans" that gq likes, not only lack the medium blue wash, but also the cut, even unwore, is obviously low and tapered, even is they are slightly higher and slightly looser than was previously the fashion.
    Right and in fact the point of the GQ article is really to take a recent NYT article to task for using "dad jeans" to describe the latest wave of jeans which, despite having a lighter wash (in reaction to the whole raw/selvedge thing), are clearly not dad jeans in either wash or cut.

  10. #90
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,364
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Confession: I recently purchased a pair of cargo shorts. And I'm likely to wear them at some point on my upcoming vacation.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •