Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered confessions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I regularly sport the dress up from the ankles up with sneakers look. Here's the issue - I live in the DC area where subway service is pretty great, so I do a lot of walking to and from subway stops. For example, my everyday commute is either bike 9-9.5 miles into work (one way) or walk a mile and a quarter to the subway stop. I have a history of planter fasciitis so I'd be in pain if I wore dress shoes for that walk every day. Plus, I'd just be putting way too much wear and tear on nice dress shoes doing that day after day. Not proud of it but not going to stop either.
    Have you looked at Allen Edmonds traveler shoes? SFO, LGA, etc.

They have a very cushy sole. Less dressy than a standard sole, but if it’s dreasyxenough for your job, you might want to have a look.

I have a few pairs and I could walk all day in them.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I regularly sport the dress up from the ankles up with sneakers look. Here's the issue - I live in the DC area where subway service is pretty great, so I do a lot of walking to and from subway stops. For example, my everyday commute is either bike 9-9.5 miles into work (one way) or walk a mile and a quarter to the subway stop. I have a history of planter fasciitis so I'd be in pain if I wore dress shoes for that walk every day. Plus, I'd just be putting way too much wear and tear on nice dress shoes doing that day after day. Not proud of it but not going to stop either.
    I'm not trying to change your mind if you're set on it, and I applaud your efforts to reduce your carbon footprint--And I'm wondering if you've thought about keeping a pair of dress shoes at the office?

I'm with you that I wouldn't wear dress shoes for a nine mile bike ride, but I wouldn't wear a suit either. I also understand the wear and tear thing on the shoes for the walk everyday. I'd probably just deal with that and get them resoled more often. Some of my dress shoes are exceptionally comfortable and even more so with with a padded insole, but I usually only do that to adjust the fit, not to make them more comfortable. Depending on the sneakers you're wearing, new soles could be cheaper in the long run--maybe--I don't know.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    I sometimes keep stuff that doesn't fit because the act of returning it seems like too much of a hassle.

It's usually just for inexpensive things, but it's still a bad habit. I'll always justify it by saying to myself "maybe it will shrink in the wash" or "you'll grow into it."

Spoiler alert: I'm well past the point of growing into anything.
    Oh lord--me too. I hate returning things. I have a shirt in a bag on my closet floor right now that I need to return.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    I only own 2 belts, one brown and one black. I wear the brown one with all shades of brown. I do not plan on buying another brown one either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Confession: I never wear navy or charcoal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I'm not trying to change your mind if you're set on it, and I applaud your efforts to reduce your carbon footprint--And I'm wondering if you've thought about keeping a pair of dress shoes at the office?

I'm with you that I wouldn't wear dress shoes for a nine mile bike ride, but I wouldn't wear a suit either. I also understand the wear and tear thing on the shoes for the walk everyday. I'd probably just deal with that and get them resoled more often. Some of my dress shoes are exceptionally comfortable and even more so with with a padded insole, but I usually only do that to adjust the fit, not to make them more comfortable. Depending on the sneakers you're wearing, new soles could be cheaper in the long run--maybe--I don't know.
    I do keep a few pairs of dress shoes at the office, plus a couple of suits and sport coats, plus a couple dress shirts, T shirts, pairs of underwear and socks. I wear athletic gear to bike in, and then change into work suitable clothes. There's a gym with showers in the basement of my building so it's a pretty ideal setup for bike commuting. My office build ins have a small closet - probably a foot and a half wide but roughly 5 and a half feet tall so perfect for hanging a sufficient number of work clothes. When I do the walk to the subway I can dress up (well in summer sometimes I just go in in a T shirt and shorts and change at the office because it is gruesomely hot and humid here) except the feet. I am at peace with the look at this point. I turned 50 this summer so it's time to embrace old guy style.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Alright... I thought I really didn't have any confessions to feel guilty about and then reading another thread reminded me that I do. So, I confess: I have a suit jacket that I like so much, I'll sometimes wear it with dark denim and hope nobody calls me on it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Hi, my name is MediumTex and I'm a Dapperedholic.

- I recently bought two suits - one SuitSupply and one Gieves and Hawkes (I was in London, cut me some slack). I don't wear suits. I just like suits.

- I have lots of t-shirts that I wear with shorts. LOTS of t-shirts.

- I own flip-flops. I own three pairs of flip-flops. I regularly wear all three pairs of flip-flops (not at the same time) in the summertime. But never with jeans. What am I, a heathen?

- I have at least 20 pairs of shoes. I probably only wear about 10 of them on the regular.

- If I see a blue dress shirt in my size and the price is right, I buy it. I don't have to wear dress shirts to work if I don't want to.

- I have ~20 ties and I recently bought three (again, London). I last wore a tie about a year ago.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    At this point in my life, going back to school full time, I rarely feel the need to dress past a tshirt, dark denim, and boots. Sometimes a casual button down. And I am still almost always the best dressed person in the room.

I have 3 suits and 5 blazers - I probably wear them less than 10 days a year. And half the time I wear a blazer it is with a tshirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    I love to wear vests like North Face in the fall time and as a layer in winter. They are functional, easy to wear and stay warm when driving etc.

I know they’ve become the urban bro look but I just seem to always grab it when heading out for non formal occasions.