Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered confessions

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatshoes&bowties View Post
    This is what I’m talking about! Welcome to the dark side of accepting boat shoes are the greatest shoes ever made
    they're so comfortable and the sperry gold cups are nice enough for office wear...i sold a good chunk of my dress shoes now that i'm not in consulting any more (i don't deal with clients much any more)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fresh! View Post
    I'm not bragging or anything, but I have 53 pairs of AE shoes/boots and I've only worn maybe 10 pairs. I see a deal, act on it, and "squirrel" it away and usually forget about it. Prime example, I have about 10 pairs of Gustin selvedge jeans/4 pairs of chinos that I put in a plastic bin and totally forgot about. I've since lost weight and can no longer fit them! I either have to sell them or find an experienced tailor in the metro-Atlanta area who can chain-stitch/alter the jeans/chinos. The weight loss is definitely good, but talk about being pissed after that discovery!!!
    Wow. And I thought I was bad with my shoe collection:

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...ght=collection

Four of the pairs in the back row are currently in the car waiting for me to take them to Goodwill.

@2Fresh!, I would love to see a photo of all of your shoes!
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Hey, that's being dappered if you're heading into downtown Seattle/South Lake Union.
    In Vermont we call that formal wear.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fresh! View Post
    Thanks for the info. Most of the shoes are 11D and I'm not letting any of them go. The jeans are 37 straight and I'm now down to 34. They're brand new, tried on only. I doubt they will shrink 3 inches though. I know that Gustin has a defined return/exchange policy but it couldn't hurt to ask...
    Gustin has been very good to me about returns, even ‘stale’ items like you describe. The items just can’t be washed or have any definite creasing...ie things their denim head clientele wont tolerate...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    My personal uniform is the business mullet. I work in technology on the tech side of the house so I’m already pushing it with this.
    Even on bow tie Tuesday, I’m still wearing my Gustin jeans.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    i now wear boat shoes to work every day in an office

i regularly combine a henley with a blazer

i no longer wear dress shirts
    I thought WTF is Scofield doing then saw the post where you changed jobs. That was me once I got out of wearing jackets and ties 4 days a week. I now only do dress trousers 2-3 times per month.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    I regularly sport the dress up from the ankles up with sneakers look. Here's the issue - I live in the DC area where subway service is pretty great, so I do a lot of walking to and from subway stops. For example, my everyday commute is either bike 9-9.5 miles into work (one way) or walk a mile and a quarter to the subway stop. I have a history of planter fasciitis so I'd be in pain if I wore dress shoes for that walk every day. Plus, I'd just be putting way too much wear and tear on nice dress shoes doing that day after day. Not proud of it but not going to stop either.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    i now wear boat shoes to work every day in an office
    Technically mine are camp mocs, but I do this too. It's funny because I used to wear AEs pretty much every day. Then the rest of my team kind of started getting into nice footwear, and I found myself reaching for the easiest slip-on shoes that I can still get away with in my fairly casual office. I don't think the transitions are related, but still funny to see my coworkers in different AEs every day where as I'm almost always wearing my humble camp mocs. I do still break out the AEs from time to time, but nowhere near as often as I used to.

Another one for me is that, outside of footwear, my business formal wear collection is almost non-existent. I own one medium grey JAB suit that I picked up as a groomsman 5+ years ago and probably one passable white dress shirt somewhere in the depths of my closet. All of my other collared shirts are either OCDBs or polos. The only blazer/sport coat I own leans very casual. One of these days I'll get around to buying a nice navy suit, just hasn't happened yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I sometimes keep stuff that doesn't fit because the act of returning it seems like too much of a hassle.

It's usually just for inexpensive things, but it's still a bad habit. I'll always justify it by saying to myself "maybe it will shrink in the wash" or "you'll grow into it."

Spoiler alert: I'm well past the point of growing into anything.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Despite the sound advice to build your suit collection from charcoal, navy, perhaps branching out into navy with a subtle pattern before venturing into medium grey and thus ensuring that your suit collection is "versatile," I prefer tan, medium blue, light blue, and other entirely-memorable suit colors. I don't own a navy or charcoal suit that fits me, but I was considering buying the sage green suit on Spier and MacKay at lunch even though I would have the "contemporary" fit heavily altered.

Oh... and I also keep stuff that no longer fits me just in case I gain weight. I don't know that this is much of a confession as I started doing this after doing the "purge" of clothes that didn't fit from gaining weight, only to find myself wishing I had kept them all.