Thread: Fall time recommendations for the "Athletic" build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Fall time recommendations for the "Athletic" build

Hey guys! Fall is upon us and I'd love to freshen up the closet a bit with some new Chino's, Flannels and Sweaters. The problem is, I'm not the normal small or medium you see around here. I'm in my late 30's now and the years of Football and lifting means I generally wear a 38-30 pant with little room in the thigh and way to much room at the ankle, 17" 34-35" shirts and a 46S sportcoat. I'd love to hear what clothes the bigger guys around have had success with.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    We are a comparable size, maybe. I'm a competitive weightlifter, and walk around at about 220lbs at 5'9" (Should probably drop down to the new 96kg class though, but food tastes too good...)

For chinos, I wear the BB Stretch Advantage chinos in Clark fit. They used to be too snug but the addition of stretch has been a gamechanger. Just enough room in the seat and thighs and tapered in the lower leg. They're pretty overpriced at MSRP but 1-2x a year they'll fall under a sale that drops them to around $65 a pair, which I think is a fair price. Last year, for one day only, they were <$50, which was cool but probably won't come back again in any predictable manner. Jeans, Levi's 541 of course. Roomy butt and thighs, tapered leg, 3% Spandex.

Flannels, I assume you mean shirts? I like the Flagship Flannel from Lands' End. A very boring recommendation, I know, but it feels soft yet beefy. XL in the tailored fit is comfy in the shoulders and chest, without puffing too much in the midsection. Tyrwhitt's casual shirts extra slim fit XL works well too.

I don't know that much about sweaters because like most guys our size, I run kind of warm....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wdcee View Post
    Hey guys! Fall is upon us and I'd love to freshen up the closet a bit with some new Chino's, Flannels and Sweaters. The problem is, I'm not the normal small or medium you see around here. I'm in my late 30's now and the years of Football and lifting means I generally wear a 38-30 pant with little room in the thigh and way to much room at the ankle, 17" 34-35" shirts and a 46S sportcoat. I'd love to hear what clothes the bigger guys around have had success with.

Thanks!
    Go with slim, size up to get certain parts of the item to fit right and get some tailoring done. Iíve tried a lot of fits and most athletic fit is skinny fat fit IMO. Maybe I just havenít tried the right stuff or new stuff has come out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    For chinos, I would take a look at the athletic and relaxed fit J. Crew options. I've paid around $50/a pair for the 3 pairs of chinos that I've picked up recently and I'm happy with the quality for that price. If you're looking for flannel shirts, I'd second stuffedsuperdud's Lands End recommendation. I think a size large in the traditional fit might work for you as well based on the measurements that you provided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Former HS football player here in my 40s.

Still lift, although now I focus on half marathons and Spartans.

My main clothes problem is nobody makes clothes for someone my size. Iím 5í8Ē and rather muscular (but not trim) and that usually means too tight on the thighs and calves, too long in the sleeves, too tight in the neck, too narrow in the shoulders and chest, etc etc.

I wear 36x28.5 pants but my calves are 19.5Ē and my thighs are 27Ē.

Bonobos athletic stretch jeans do nicely for the thighs and rear end. Theyíre snug but acceptable on the calves. Leviís 505 are solid for fit for cheaper jeans.

I donít want to get everything custom tailored l, so I live with one measurement always being a bit off.

That usually means calves are tight on pants and sleeves are long on any shirts of jackets.

Iíve actually had decent luck with target and amazon stuff featured on dappered. The recently highlighted cords fit me perfectly. Good threads chinos fit very nicely and arenít pricey. I also like their merino wool sweaters.

So my recommendation would be target and amazon and then as your budget allows, go for Bonobos.
    Last edited by ElDub; October 6th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    I wear 36x28.5 pants but my calves are 19.5Ē and my thighs are 27Ē.

... Leviís 505 are solid for fit for cheaper jeans....

Iíve actually had decent luck with target and amazon stuff featured on dappered. The recently highlighted cords fit me perfectly. Good threads chinos fit very nicely and arenít pricey. I also like their merino wool sweaters.
    I have some Levi 541ís that fit real well for jeans. What cut on the Goodthreads stuff are you getting? I have about the same size thighs as you but a 34 waist. I want to give them a shot but didnít find any I liked in store when I tried some on when they first came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Slim 5 pocket chinos. I was about 25
    Lbs lighter when I got them

Iíd probably do for a fuller cut now.