Thread: Anyone have experience with Samuel Hubbard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Anyone have experience with Samuel Hubbard?

I am considering buying Samuel Hubbard Highlander in pebble grain. https://www.samuelhubbard.com/highla...+Grain+Leather

I believe this is an online company with occasional pop-up shops, so I can't judge their product in person. Although they get excellent reviews and I like the look of this particular style, I'm wondering if it might be a little clunky. I'm not particularly fond of the appearance of the sole, but everything else about the show looks good.

Anyone have first-hand experience with this?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    I have no experience with this brand but their site claims that they use material and construction of the “utmost quality”. I have to question that as they make no reference to things like full grain leather or Goodyear welting. For the prince they charge I don’t think you can expect such quality (although Meermin does it with a mostly made in China shoe).

I’m also sceptical of a company that displays what I would describe as mostly casual shoes unde their “dress shoes” section.

The shoes may be ok quality and if you like the look, then go for it. How are you hoping to wear these? Since the soles are very casual I would not classify them as a business shoe (pebble grain leather also puts them in the “casual shoe” category for me).

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFe Guy View Post
    I am considering buying Samuel Hubbard Highlander in pebble grain. https://www.samuelhubbard.com/highla...+Grain+Leather

I believe this is an online company with occasional pop-up shops, so I can't judge their product in person. Although they get excellent reviews and I like the look of this particular style, I'm wondering if it might be a little clunky. I'm not particularly fond of the appearance of the sole, but everything else about the show looks good.

Anyone have first-hand experience with this?
    Don't you mean first-foot experience?

They have tons of five-star reviews. They must be doing something right in terms of pleasing their market.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have a pair of the Founder, which I think is almost the same as the Highlander except for the leather used. Mine are the chestnut color, and I am generally happy with them. I tend to need wide shoes, and in 10.5 wide these fit as I expected. My critique would include things like: I am not a fan of the yellow dots on the heels; I also don't love the look/shape of the soles; I wish this style was available in the Whiskey color; and they are not quiiiiite as comfortable as I expected them to be. But I do appreciate the padded collar and toe; I think the materials used are of good quality, and the construction is good. I looked for a derby-style shoe with rubber soles (a must for walking in my urban environment) for a long time, and this was as close as I could get, though as indicated I was hoping for something in more of a medium brown. I think the company is serving a portion of the market that isn't as large as it used to be; a lot of people who might have wanted this type of shoe in the past have probably just moved to casual sneakers of some sort. I sometimes wear those too, but sometimes you just want a "shoe-shoe," not a sneaker.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    According to their blog, most of their shoes are goodyear welted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the detailed response. I agree on the issue of the soles. Except for sneakers, I like to have a real sole and a real heel. I think I got seduced by the pebbled leather. They look very comfortable, but I think I'll keep searching for the time being.