Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the watch guys

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)

Question for the watch guys

I understand the allure of a great automatic watch - I just don't think its worth it to me at this time in my life.

What I don't quite understand is what guys who have multiple $3-5k watches get out of the rest of the website and forum and its focus on value discussing discounts on $400 suits, $100 blazers, $45 jeans etc.

Maybe I'm not understanding it, but there seem to be lots of people who are willing to have a few months salary in their watch collections, are paying hudnreds of dollars on tune ups on these watches, and yet are participating in discussions about deep discounts on decent, but by no means exceptional clothes.

And to be clear, I'm not saying you can't choose to spend different amounts on different categories (e.g. $30 levis because selvage is for suckers with $350 shoes because I'm not an animal), but the level of difference between the watches and the clothes seems just incongruous with the level of interest in menswear that reading, following and participating in the forum suggests. For example, if you are intrigued, and love the idea of carefully crafted watch, why not the same level of interest in real, high end tailoring, but some real interest in the best deal on a made in china Banana Republic blazer?

I don't mean any judgment by this, I'm just curious what it is about watches that seems so similar to clothes and yet so different.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    My guess is the longevity / permanence of watches is a major factor. Itís easier to justify spending more on watches when you can pass them on to someone whereas most clothes donít last all that long.

But yeah I mostly agree with you and am curious as well.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    My guess is the longevity / permanence of watches is a major factor. It’s easier to justify spending more on watches when you can pass them on to someone whereas most clothes don’t last all that long.
    This.

Additionally, You can recoup your expense by selling the watch, often for close enough to what you paid. In that situation, you essentially rented it for a long period of time.

As far as servicing, it needs to be done every 5-10 years, at around $500 on average. That breaks down to $50-100 dollars a year or less than your Amazon Prime subscription.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I understand the allure of a great automatic watch - I just don't think its worth it to me at this time in my life.

What I don't quite understand is what guys who have multiple $3-5k watches get out of the rest of the website and forum and its focus on value discussing discounts on $400 suits, $100 blazers, $45 jeans etc.

Maybe I'm not understanding it, but there seem to be lots of people who are willing to have a few months salary in their watch collections, are paying hudnreds of dollars on tune ups on these watches, and yet are participating in discussions about deep discounts on decent, but by no means exceptional clothes.

And to be clear, I'm not saying you can't choose to spend different amounts on different categories (e.g. $30 levis because selvage is for suckers with $350 shoes because I'm not an animal), but the level of difference between the watches and the clothes seems just incongruous with the level of interest in menswear that reading, following and participating in the forum suggests. For example, if you are intrigued, and love the idea of carefully crafted watch, why not the same level of interest in real, high end tailoring, but some real interest in the best deal on a made in china Banana Republic blazer?

I don't mean any judgment by this, I'm just curious what it is about watches that seems so similar to clothes and yet so different.
    This is not the only piece of the answer, but one thing that is different about watches is that they are (or can be) a relatively liquid "investment." If you buy a popular model of watch from a well-known, well-regarded luxury brand, like Rolex or Omega or IWC or whoever, and you don't overpay for it, you will likely be able to sell or trade that watch without losing much value if you choose to part with it later on. In some rare cases you could potentially make money from doing this. That is quite different from many other clothing and accessory items that lose the majority of their sellable value the moment you take the tags off.

It is a lot easier to put a bunch of money into a watch or watches because you can get the money back out of it when necessary. Or, you can continue to use essentially the same money, with small incremental increases, to get new watches through flipping and trading. With luxury shoes or suits, that money is pretty much gone. You can't flip and "trade up" with those types of items the way many watch enthusiasts do with their watches.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    I just like watches. Plain and simple.

I don’t understand or judge my buddy who spent close to $2k on a coffee machine when my $99 Kuereg makes coffee just fine. I have another friend who collects loose jewels because he enjoys it. My neighbor has a Mustang that he doesn’t need but loves. Everyone has their thing (or things) and one of mine is watches.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    My wife bought me my Rolex for an engagement gift. For that reason, I do not look at it as liquid and if we ever divorced, I'd still keep it. Also, I am not easy on my watch so it would be towards the low end of resale as I garden with it, went in the ocean with it, and all sorts of other rough things with it.

But what I get out of this site is that some clothes are cheaper and that is fine. For instance, I usually buy S&M shirts as the fit and quality are great. I get them bundled and usually on sale so they are like $30 per shirt. I do have some expensive shoes but I also have cheaper ones. I guess at some point Dappered fit my life and I have never left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    My wife bought me my Rolex for an engagement gift. For that reason, I do not look at it as liquid and if we ever divorced, I'd still keep it. Also, I am not easy on my watch so it would be towards the low end of resale as I garden with it, went in the ocean with it, and all sorts of other rough things with it.

But what I get out of this site is that some clothes are cheaper and that is fine. For instance, I usually buy S&M shirts as the fit and quality are great. I get them bundled and usually on sale so they are like $30 per shirt. I do have some expensive shoes but I also have cheaper ones. I guess at some point Dappered fit my life and I have never left.

Okay it took me a minute to figure out that S&M meant Spier and Mackay.....no judging if itís not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Add me into the longevity of a watch. While suits may be crafted to last decades life happens and they can rip, tear, no longer fit etc. same with other clothing.

I value shop all my clothes but a watch lasts longer and that is why Iíd spend more on a watch than clothing.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Longevity can also be a factor with watches. My dad's got a Rolex Sub from the early 1970s that is still functioning despite being beat to crap by him as a Marine Corps infantry officer. I don't think a lot of the other stuff he bought in that time period has survived other than real property and firearms... certainly not clothing and footwear. My parents' chest freezer finally just kicked the bucket the other week but that only dates from the 1980s, LOLz....
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Maybe my opinion is irrelevant on this thread seeing as how I don't own any four figure watches, but when the day comes that I can afford one I've always pictured myself making that purchase. For me it's less about the functionality or resell value and more about what a "nice" watch represents. And I don't mean as a status symbol or anything like that. A watch is something that everyone can wear no matter your age, gender, or size and nothing else can compare to that. A great watch is a lifelong token that you could potentially wear everyday for the rest of your life, then pass it down to someone else who could wear it everyday for the rest of their life, and so on until the year 2159 when our watches are ultimately replaced by a device that will instantly transport us somewhere .

I just don't get that same sense of nostalgia or comfort with a piece of clothing no matter how expensive it may be or where it came from. Sure I have a bomber jacket that I got from my grandfather and I think about him and the impact he had on my life when I wear it. However, I only get to wear it for a short time of the year and then it goes back into the closet where it remains undisturbed for 9 months. If I had been fortunate enough to have a watch gifted or passed down to me, that thing would never leave my wrist.