Thread: Baptism Event Attire

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)

Baptism Event Attire

Hi all, hoping as always you all can provide some guidance on what to wear. We are baptizing our son on November 3rd. Iím unsure what to wear.

Church lately has gone from formal to very casual depending on age. My friends that have done it lately arenít as up on their attire so they donít provide good examples. Iíve seen the bad dress shirt in boxes to some wearing white ties etc.

My son will be wearing the traditional white type gown. My thought is to be formal yet not the focus but want to look good for photos during and after. Itís getting colder in DC so layering is an option for the after reception.

What would you recommend? I have most of the dappered staples and am not opposed to purchasing something as needed.

I was guessing gray suit, blue shirt and tie? Maybe a sweater if formal is not the right dress? Iím lost. Please help

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Depends on the church. I’ve been to churches where a polo and chinos would be normal for this kind of thing, and others where a jacket and tie would be expected.

Generally, I would consider what is normal for regular parishioners, and then consider going up one level of formality from that since it is a special occasion for you and your family in a way that it is not for the other parishioners.
    Ben

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)
    Wear whatever you want. If anybody judges you at church, remind them what the Bible says about passing judgement.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Depends on the church. Iíve been to churches where a polo and chinos would be normal for this kind of thing, and others where a jacket and tie would be expected.

Generally, I would consider what is normal for regular parishioners, and then consider going up one level of formality from that since it is a special occasion for you and your family in a way that it is not for the other parishioners.
    Thanks to you and @Nandyn for the responses. So as with most older churches. The older crowd dresses up and the younger crowd does the jeans and t shirt type thing.

My concern was less on perception since at church I feel you can always dress up but more of what might look the best for the photos without taking focus away from my son etc? Suit and tie? Slacks and blazer? Navy or gray etc. would you keep it super simple or dress it up a bit aka pocket square maybe a non navy suit etc.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Thanks to you and @Nandyn for the responses. So as with most older churches. The older crowd dresses up and the younger crowd does the jeans and t shirt type thing.

My concern was less on perception since at church I feel you can always dress up but more of what might look the best for the photos without taking focus away from my son etc? Suit and tie? Slacks and blazer? Navy or gray etc. would you keep it super simple or dress it up a bit aka pocket square maybe a non navy suit etc.
    I would say dress in a way that the focus will be on your son in all the photos, so something neutral/darker and not flashy?

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Oh, for photos?

I would go with something conservative and stick to solid dark colors. Navy blazer or suit with a light blue shirt and a tie if you want one. I’d skip the pocket squares and other flashy stuff.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Oh, for photos?

I would go with something conservative and stick to solid dark colors. Navy blazer or suit with a light blue shirt and a tie if you want one. I’d skip the pocket squares and other flashy stuff.
    Sounds perfect. Neat but not flashy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Oh, for photos?

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I actually just attended a baptism this past weekend (fiancť was named Godmother) and had the same thoughts. I ended up wearing a fall sportcoat, wool slacks, white shirt & tie. Turned out I was WAY overdressed for the regular mass beforehand (large church) and slightly overdressed for the smaller ceremony. For the mass, it was mostly untucked dress shirts, polos or t-shirts and jeans/chinos. The only other jackets I saw in the whole place were the ushers. For the ceremony, it was a mixture of some ill-fitting suits or just dress shirt & tie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Plain suit and tie is perfect.