Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on replacing a 20 year old work horse jacket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    The original looks very similar to the Baracuta G9 Harrington Jacket. Perhaps consider that?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    They might look the same but the Baracuta has no insulation, which it sounds like OP is looking for (if he wants a coat he can wear in the dead of winter). Baracuta is much more of a spring/summer/fall jacket.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post
    Having enough with the speculation, I used Pendleton's handy Amazon'esque Customer Questions features to ask about the lining. I was answered in about 24 hours and got what I was after. To sum it up, the jacket has a fleece lining which is enough "for moderate insulation." So, lined, yes. Insulated, not as much as I'd like. That helps! It puts the Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Ranch Jacket as my winner, unless someone comes out of the woodwork to toss in a left field contender?
    The 100 gram insulation in that thing should definitely keep you warm all winter. I have a half decade old Nano Puff - they have 60 gram insulation - and it's adequate down slightly below freezing and even much colder if I'm doing something strenuous or add another insulating layer. That thing should be hella durable too as cotton is really durable but hemp is supposedly significantly more durable yet. Patagonia has a refurbishment program where you can send stuff in to be repaired rather than thrown out if something ever gets damaged but I'm guessing that it'll be a long long time before anything like that is necessary.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Baracuta does sell insulated G9 jackets from time to time. My wife bought one for me last year for christmas in a nice brown corduroy. The one I have works well in the winter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    I don't know if this saga reached its conclusion, but I wanted to point out that the Flint & Tinder Mill jacket you linked to in your initial post is down to $59 (medium and large in brown) from $200:

https://huckberry.com/store/flint-an...83-mill-jacket

That said, I don't think the lining is what you're looking for. It's nylon, not something like flannel. And I suspect the fill is not substantial. But with the dense duck canvas combined with lining and insulation of some sort, I bet it'd be comfortable down to 40F. Lower with solid layering underneath.

I bought one! Price was too good to pass up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I don't know if this saga reached its conclusion, but I wanted to point out that the Flint & Tinder Mill jacket you linked to in your initial post is down to $59 (medium and large in brown) from $200
    At that price, I would have purchased one if only to roll the dice on its abilities. But, I'm a size small and those seem to be long gone in both colors.
    I still haven't pulled the trigger but likely will in the next few weeks.

Thanks for tossing the deal out to the group!