Thread: Mac coat features

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Mac coat features

Looking at some of the posts today and I am thinking about picking up one of those mac coats. Can't decide between the two. They are at either end of the spectrum. The Old Navy one is really cheap, cotton and looks to be unlined. The BR one is just about all synthetic fiber, lined and much more expensive. Obviously, the ON one wouldn't really be waterproof but I'm just looking for a light fall/spring coat to wear over my blazers/suits. For those of you out there who wear mac coats, what do you look for? Something that is light and breathable? Lined or unlined? Please let me know your opinions on what makes a good mac coat.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    First of all, synthetic does not necessarily = waterproof. Unless the material is something like a laminate or a waterproof membrane (a la Gore-Tex) it's going to be made of woven fibers that will allow the absorption and passage of water. Probably not AS absorptive as a material like cotton.

I had a BR trench coat a few years back that was all synthetic. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I never wore it, in part because the material moved and felt kind of weird.

You should probably just get both and try on both and see which one feels better.

You can improve the water resistance either way by applying a hydrophobic waterproofing spray.
    Ben

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)
    I have both the Gap and the Old Navy mac jackets and I prefer the ON one even though the Gap one is better made. Why? The ON mac is much more tailored/fitted. The Gap mac jacket looks like a box on me. I have thought of taking the Gap mac jacket in to my tailor to see if he can fix it up. But the jacket itself isn't that expensive and the trip to the tailor may end up costing more than the jacket. So I wear the ON jacket more, even though the material isn't as nice and I sweat more in the jacket because it doesn't breathe at all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I have both the Gap and the Old Navy mac jackets and I prefer the ON one even though the Gap one is better made. Why? The ON mac is much more tailored/fitted. The Gap mac jacket looks like a box on me. I have thought of taking the Gap mac jacket in to my tailor to see if he can fix it up. But the jacket itself isn't that expensive and the trip to the tailor may end up costing more than the jacket. So I wear the ON jacket more, even though the material isn't as nice and I sweat more in the jacket because it doesn't breathe at all.
    That's an interesting observation. What's your height and weight, and what was the size of the coat, if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'10, 175ish, and I generally felt that ON medium was a bit roomier than Gap medium.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)
    I'm 6'2, 175lbs. I can't recall the size of the jacket. I can check when I get home.

My biggest complaint about the ON mac, aside from the fact that the jacket gets hot are the pockets. The pockets are uncomfortably high up on the coat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I've got the Gap mac in medium. I'm 6'2" 180 (wear a 40 suit jacket) and in SML sizing can usually go with either medium or large. With outerwear I'll usually get the large but I went with the medium in this case, and I think it's because I had read the Gap mac tends to be boxy and was hoping to avoid that. This seems to have been the right move because I don't consider the fit to be objectionably boxy. I qualify this with "objectionably" because to me a mac is inherently somewhat slab sided and not super fitted. But at the same time it shouldn't be a frumpy looking box, and I don't think this is. Will be interesting to hear if DocDave's Gap mac is a medium or a large.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)
    I just checked. My Gap mac is a large. That explains the boxiness. Damn.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Yep, that explains it. I wonder if maybe Gap assumed their mac would be worn over more layers (like say a suit) than ON and sized the fit accordingly.