Thread: How to wear dark grey wool pants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to wear dark grey wool pants

Hello all,
    I recently bought a pair of these dark gray herringbone trousers from Jomers. They fit great and the quality is top notch for the price. My question is, how do I wear them without looking like I'm going to a funeral? I've worn them once so far with a white shirt and purple striped tie and burgundy shell shoes and it looked good, I just felt like I was going to a funeral or a casual wedding.

Am I overthinking this?

Thank you,
    Nick

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    That's about as neutral as wool trousers get. You can wear with them almost anything. Try a blue shirt to soften the contrast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    You’re overthinking it. I regularly wear the same color wool pants to work as part of my rotation. Pretty much any shirt will work with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I have a similar pair that I picked up from Gustin, they really do go with just about anything. I'll wear a white or blue shirt and sometimes lighten things up a bit more with a yellow/blue patterned tie or something like that. Burgundy also works well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    They are indeed incredibly flexible but a lighter gray is easier to pair with a sports coat. There's often insufficient contrast with a navy or similarly deep-toned jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
    They are indeed incredibly flexible but a lighter gray is easier to pair with a sports coat. There's often insufficient contrast with a navy or similarly deep-toned jacket.
    I agree with the above and will link to this post from several years ago from Put This On:
    https://putthison.com/not-as-useful-...n-youre-first/

If you are comfortable with wearing these kinds of trousers more causally (and many guys are not), you could skip the jacket and tie and opt for a turtleneck (or other sweater) in lighter colours or maybe just an OCBD.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    I agree with the above and will link to this post from several years ago from Put This On:
    https://putthison.com/not-as-useful-...n-youre-first/

If you are comfortable with wearing these kinds of trousers more causally (and many guys are not), you could skip the jacket and tie and opt for a turtleneck (or other sweater) in lighter colours or maybe just an OCBD.
    Yes a sweater with these pants is a great look. If you don't need to wear a jacket I'd go with a dress shirt plus sweater and maybe tie if it's a V neck or cardigan, or boat neck (not too many of those floating around though) - turtleneck works great too but not everyone thinks they can pull those off.

Or you can do as in that Put This On link and wear a brown jacket - I'd say anything from camel to chestnut or even probably chocolate brown would work. I have a similar pair of dark grey herringbone pants that I got a couple years back from Uniqlo and they look good with my brown Moon Mills tweed sport coat. Or you can do the "northern lights" thing (northern lights is menswear speak for wearing a jacket that's lighter in shade than your pants) if you have some lighter colored wool sport coats. I have a mid grey unpatterned wool sport coat that I wear with those pants too. It's an inverted look but it can work just as well as dark on top and lighter on the bottom. I would stay away from any sport coat with a pattern as unless you're really good at identifying what works, things can get really busy really fast. Pattern on pattern is a high degree of difficulty. It can be done with something as subtle as herringbone but it's still a little tough to pull off right.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    I thought I had a problem with low contrast top and bottom, but I'm fine with it and I wear such an outfit regularly. I saw on other people and it looked good so I started doing it myself. So look around (no, not online but in a real world) and check out people with a low contrast outfit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Pink shirt. Just sayin'.