Thread: WIDE casual shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

WIDE casual shoes

So, I wear boots a lot. Like 85% of my life I'm either in boots, sandals, or barefoot. Part of this is because of personal preference, but part is that I've just not found the right casual shoes for me.

I'm looking for something that's not boots (I have plenty), not dress shoes (again, plenty), not sneakers (which I don't/won't wear outside of actual PT), and not sandals.

The kicker? I need wide shoes and few brands offer them. The web-based-microbrand revolution (Thursday, Beckett, etc.) have no wide sizes and I'm not interested in buying poorly fitting shoes.

I'm looking for something that I can wear comfortably with jeans and chinos, probably leather, relaxed but not slovenly?

Any suggestions?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    What size are you normally?

I usually wear wider, but can wear regular in Red Wing. I had a pair similar to https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...10070302008005

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    AE I'm 9.5 EEE on most lasts.
    New Balance 10 EEEE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Once upon a time (~20 years ago) I would have said "Rockport" without hesitation, but their products are a sad shadow of what they used to be in terms of quality, and I find most of them ugly. Same with Bean.

Some brands (Ecco, I think?) tend to make shoes that are just wider even in what they consider a standard width; if you have a decent shoe store or department store near you, you might consider talking to a salesperson who knows the product lines well (not always easy to find, I know). I also ordered a pair of derby-style shoes in the spring from Leather Lately, and though I only got to wear them a couple of times before summer arrived, I find their EE width to be generously sized.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Those Leather Lately look great! Never heard of them before. I'll have to check them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbysmalls View Post
    Those Leather Lately look great! Never heard of them before. I'll have to check them out.
    I came across info about it while reading the r/oodyearwelt subreddit. For a while the company was offering 50% off a pair to attract business. Then there was a 40% off code for a while. One or both may still be valid. I think they are pretty nice shoes overall, but not sure if I'd pay full price (~$290) for them. Know that the standard rubber sole is a little on the heavy side; they offer genuine Dainite for $30 extra.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbysmalls View Post
    So, I wear boots a lot. Like 85% of my life I'm either in boots, sandals, or barefoot. Part of this is because of personal preference, but part is that I've just not found the right casual shoes for me.

I'm looking for something that's not boots (I have plenty), not dress shoes (again, plenty), not sneakers (which I don't/won't wear outside of actual PT), and not sandals.

The kicker? I need wide shoes and few brands offer them. The web-based-microbrand revolution (Thursday, Beckett, etc.) have no wide sizes and I'm not interested in buying poorly fitting shoes.

I'm looking for something that I can wear comfortably with jeans and chinos, probably leather, relaxed but not slovenly?

Any suggestions?
    Perhaps you might share some styles you like but can't find in your size. I'm not sure what you mean by casual. To me, loafers are a casual shoe. But maybe you consider them dress shoes.

AE has lots of casual shoes in EEE. On clearance as low as about $130:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/s...t=0&prefv1=EEE

Clarks has casual shoes in wide. Not amazing great shoes, but the prices are low.

Herring stocks a number of great brands in wide and extra wide. They ship to the USA if that's where you are.

I consider some the shoes casual.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

If you like them, Samuel Hubbard carries wide shoes.

https://www.samuelhubbard.com/men/casual-shoes

Wolverine has some wide shoes, even though they are known for boots.

That's all I have for right now.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?