Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pullover suggestions for a chilly office

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Pullover suggestions for a chilly office

I recently moved my office to newly renovated floor in our building, and I now have a vent blowing directly on to my desk. I’m getting uncomfortably cold and am looking for a stylish pullover to keep me comfortable but is still acceptable in an office environment. Basically I want a Peter Miller type style for half the price. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    I have a light cardigan from J.Crew that I use for these purposes. I like it better than a pullover because it's faster/easier to get on/off and doesn't mess up your hair and etc.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I have a light cardigan from J.Crew that I use for these purposes. I like it better than a pullover because it's faster/easier to get on/off and doesn't mess up your hair and etc.
    This completely. I also sit directly under an air vent and around a bunch of guys that think 68 is warm and try to crank it down any chance they get. As mentioned the cardigan is easy to put on, adds a bit of class, and can even be layered under my suit jacket etc.

I was skeptical of them at first but I got a couple of really simple ones at BB (I dislike chunky shawl collars, etc.) and they work nicely. I keep one in gray at the desk and it goes with almost everything.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    +1 exact same reason I got into cardigans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    My office runs cold as well and had been getting more and more casual over the past 2 years. A few options I keep at work are a navy vineyard vines shep shirt, which I know isn’t the style around here but I’m in New England...

I also keep a simple navy fleece vest from LL bean (size down) around that’s what I wear most since I like having my wrist free of material at the desk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    +1 I've been affectionately referred to as Mr. Rogers because of my affinity for cardigans in the office. Having an "office cardigan" is crucial.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    + another one for the cardigans. I keep a J.Crew shawl cardigan in my office.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I'm going to go against this general consensus and be anti-cardigan, at least the traditional cardigan. If you're not in very good shape or have a specific type of look (like Daniel Day-Lewis), it will be very hard to avoid the old-man vibe. If you don't mind that, go for it, but it's not for me.

Like someone said above I'm not a fan of the pullover in that's it's too much effort to get it on and off.

So I go with the sweater bomber. It serves the same purpose as a cardigan, but to me, looks a lot more polished and "hip."

These are a couple of quick examples
    https://bonobos.com/products/cotton-...color=charcoal
    https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...p-page-content
    https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...p-page-content

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Another option that avoids the Mr. Rogers look is a shirt-jac. Most of them lean more rugged than polished, so maybe not appropriate for every workplace, but you get the easy on and off of a cardigan without the Mr. Rogers connotations. Though, by most accounts Mr. Rogers was an awesome human being so I got no problem with people emulating him.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I feel your pain. I spent two years in an office with that setup. The weird thing was even in the winter, cool or room temperature at best, air was blowing out of the ceiling vent right above my desk. I could see room temperature air going in a cold air return vent. Or cool air coming out during AC season. But cool air coming out when it's cold outside made no sense. It got so bad that I bought a thermometer for my office - I figured if I could demonstrate that my office was not at an acceptable temp then the physical plant people would have to do something. But, the thermometer registered 69 or 70 degrees. It wasn't the temperature alone but the gale force breeze that made it feel so chilly. A sweater wasn't enough - I ensconced myself in t shirt, dress shirt, sweater, and heavy Harris Tweed sport coat. Even in that setup I was sometimes chilly. Thankfully I moved to another office recently and the new guy will have the pleasure of discovering this quirk this winter. Hope he runs hot.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain