Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New iPhone? Can't decide...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    How is your phone mounted on your dash? My XS Max is mounted and so is my wife’s in her car and both work even with peripheral views.

Initially I missed the home button but after a couple weeks the face recognition blows it out of the water for speed and recognition. Maybe you need more time or to tilt the mount just a bit towards you.
    Last edited by hockeysc23; October 2nd, 2019 at 04:02 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    How are you mounting your wife to your dash? My method is not working (bad with peripheral views) and I'm looking for options.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    How are you mounting your wife to your dash? My method is not working (bad with peripheral views) and I'm looking for options.
    Lol persistence and a timely typo lol

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    How is your phone mounted on your dash? My XS Max is mounted and so is my wife’s in her car and both work even with peripheral views.

Initially I missed the home button but after a couple weeks the face recognition blows it out of the water for speed and recognition. Maybe you need more time or to tilt the mount just a bit towards you.
    Yes, I don't have a tilting type mount--my is flat. So, that's one problem, I could solve I suppose.

But the dang thing does not seem to recognize me unless I'm looking at it straight on and with the phone nearly perfectly vertically aligned with my head. This is a pain in the ass when I get a reminder or a text message when I am in bed half asleep. I can't just look at the phone out of one corner of my eye with my face planted in the pillow to see if it's something I want to deal with now or wait until I wake up.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

I've had a lot of smart phones over the years, starting with the Palm back in around 2005, I think, and at least six different iphones.

I think the iphone 8 was my all-time favorite and probably will be until they come out with fingerprint unlock again, which I hear they are doing on the 12.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Yes, I don't have a tilting type mount--my is flat. So, that's one problem, I could solve I suppose.

But the dang thing does not seem to recognize me unless I'm looking at it straight on and with the phone nearly perfectly vertically aligned with my head. This is a pain in the ass when I get a reminder or a text message when I am in bed half asleep. I can't just look at the phone out of one corner of my eye with my face planted in the pillow to see if it's something I want to deal with now or wait until I wake up.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

I've had a lot of smart phones over the years, starting with the Palm back in around 2005, I think, and at least six different iphones.

I think the iphone 8 was my all-time favorite and probably will be until they come out with fingerprint unlock again, which I hear they are doing on the 12.
    I’m guessing something may have happened during setup? I don’t have that problem with my xs max. Hmm. Maybe worth a reset?

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    Whelp. After getting fed up with my iPhone not holding a charge longer than six hours, I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 11. I am hoping I made the right choice. I looked at the phone in the store and the phone is significantly bigger than the 6s. But I'll give the new phone a go. I'll post a review of the phone after I've been using it for a bit. Thanks for the info on the decision making process.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Whelp. After getting fed up with my iPhone not holding a charge longer than six hours, I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 11. I am hoping I made the right choice. I looked at the phone in the store and the phone is significantly bigger than the 6s. But I'll give the new phone a go. I'll post a review of the phone after I've been using it for a bit. Thanks for the info on the decision making process.
    We just upgraded my wife from a 6s to an 11. They’re expensive, customer service is generally crap, and you’re stuck with their ecosystem. However, at the end of the day we stay with iPhones because the vast majority of the time they just work and do what they’re supposed to do. This one isn’t all that much better but the camera function is something my wife likes. I still have a 6s that works fine.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    I stick with iPhones/Apple because as you said I'm in their ecosystem. From computers to music streaming to phones. It's just easier. I am concerned the phone will be too big. But that seems to be how phones are going these days. And I was worried I'd think the 6s would be too big when I moved to it from the 4s. So I'll see how it turns out.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    So just to bring an update. I picked up my phone this week and spend Saturday loading apps, ad getting the phone setup.

First impressions are the phone is big. So big that using it one handed isn't really an option. I do not know what the phone will be like when I carry it in my jeans pocket, or the inside pocket of my suit jacket. I guess I'll find that out tomorrow or on Monday. I do like the wireless charging though. More to come as I continue to use the phone.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So just to bring an update. I picked up my phone this week and spend Saturday loading apps, ad getting the phone setup.

First impressions are the phone is big. So big that using it one handed isn't really an option. I do not know what the phone will be like when I carry it in my jeans pocket, or the inside pocket of my suit jacket. I guess I'll find that out tomorrow or on Monday. I do like the wireless charging though. More to come as I continue to use the phone.
    Yeah... nobody can use a phone one handed anymore unless they have hands like a basketball player. Even then, unless you play center...