Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New iPhone? Can't decide...

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1399 Post(s)

New iPhone? Can't decide...

I have an iPhone 6s. My phone is four years old. I get about one day (usually a little less) out of the battery. And when I go to launch an app there is usually a lag of a few second between when I launch the app to when the app kicks in.

Now I am debating about buying a new phone. An iPhone XR to be exact.

But man. The price. Yikes. And my 6s does everything I need it to.

So you can see the dilemma here. Upgrade or stick with what works? How are you guys determining whether or not to upgrade your phones? Cheers.

Funny enough, I asked the exact same question here several years ago...https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...iPhone-4s-to-6

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I was in a similar boat earlier this year. Had a 4-year-old iPhone 6 that was starting to act up (i.e.: act possessed) and get finicky about whether it would charge or not.

After some research I ended up going with the iPhone XR based on price (compared to the other current iPhone models) and battery life. Basically, because the XR is bigger and slightly dumbed down compared to the more premium iPhone models, it's got a better battery life. The way my wireless provider does it is to build the price of the phone into your monthly bill over a period of 2 years so it doesn't feel dramatically different from the old days when you would get a discounted phone in exchange for a 2-year contract. I think I can opt out of the payment plan and just pay the phone off without any penalty after six months. Yeah, it was expensive but at the same time I have splurged a lot more on stuff like watches and I rely on my phone a lot more.

I am pretty happy with my XR. It is a LOT bigger and heavier than my 6 and that took some getting used to, but that didn't take too long. I do feel like my case options are a bit more limited because I need the case to be as slim as possible to try to reduce the bulk of the phone. I may upgrade from this phone a bit earlier than I might otherwise because I would like to get back to something a little slimmer.

FWIW the iPhone 11 is coming out soon and it supposedly starts at $650 for the base model, and I think the prices of current gen models are going to drop as well, so it may be worth holding out a bit longer to either get the new tech or a better price on the current tech.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    I only buy Samsung Notes and am currently on the 8. I figure I might buy the 9 when the 11 comes out and pushes the price of a 9 below $300 on Swappa. But, maybe not since my phone works just fine.

I never use a case. I feel like cases add too much bulk and weight.

I really like the idea of a modular phone but have yet to see one that is fast enough. I feel stupid every time I replace a phone since all it really needed was new parts. It's like I don't replace my shoes when the soles wear out, why am I replacing an entire phone when the battery wears out?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    467 Post(s)
    I get the new iPhone every other year and have since the initial iPhone launch (yup I was one of those that waited in line ). I think the only year I skipped was the iPhone 4.

I got the XS Max last year and am very happy with it. My justification is that it's probably the device I use the most throughout a day and I usually sell the old one for 4-500 which helps breakdown the cost. I haven't purchase a new computer (Mac also) in several year and I'd rather use my phone than an iPad etc. It's my primary device all day and every day for personal and work. I also don't want to ever get complacent with technology. Yes my old phones worked but I love the new facial recognition and other features. I don't want to be on the cutting edge of technology but don't want it to pass me by.

The 11 and 11Pro are nice. Given as old as your phone is you'll notice a big increase in speed and functionality. It may take you a second to get use to the lack of a home button but it was much quicker than I thought.

If I needed a new iPhone now, I would strongly consider the 11. It seems the sweet spot for price to performance. If you want to get the most amount of life out of a Phone the 11Pro will definitely last you as long as your 6 did. The only thing to consider is next year the iPhones will likely have 5G and while the network is not there yet, it would be a major feature a lot would consider.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    I wait till the newest Galaxy comes out, then get the previous one in unlocked guise, throw my sim in, and go.

GS9+ right now, after a ridiculous debacle getting it. Decorum prevents me ranting about it here though, as I'm likely to break into all manner of ungentlemanly (and even unhorsemanlike--get it kinda like unsportsmanlike?) language.

But I got it and minus the whole "bixby" personal assistant thing (which thankfully can be turned off--not deleted, but at least minimized) it's groovin.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1046 Post(s)
    My wife takes a ton of pictures of our kids and currently has a 7 Plus. You can tell a difference between her pictures and her sisters pictures who has one of the X versions from last year. Likely the XS. Debating on upgrading hers this year.

I feel like you would have a great speed bump from your old phone so it is worth looking into.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    But I got it and minus the whole "bixby" personal assistant thing (which thankfully can be turned off--not deleted, but at least minimized) it's groovin.
    I leave Bixby on almost purely for "turn on flashlight" voice command.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I leave Bixby on almost purely for "turn on flashlight" voice command.
    Everything you say is being recorded, and your voice pattern is being digitized and stolen. Which means anyone can eventually become you or create recordings of you saying things you never have to defame you or worse.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Everything you say is being recorded, and your voice pattern is being digitized and stolen. Which means anyone can eventually become you or create recordings of you saying things you never have to defame you or worse.
    That's not at all paranoid.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    That's not at all paranoid.
    Yeah, I've only been at Fort Meade for 11 years, must be bullshit.