Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New iPhone? Can't decide...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I'm never spending $800+ on a phone again. I bought a Pixel the day it was announced (Android forever!!!). It went about 2.5 years before I replaced the battery. At about the 3 year mark the earpiece went out. I could have repaired it, but performance was starting to slow, and Google had released the Pixel 3a and was offering a significant discount on the Pixel 3. So I bought a Pixel 3 and plan on keeping it until it dies. Then I'll upgrade again to the best Android I can get for $500 or less.

Apple offers some beautiful hardware, with some very locked down (as in Apple walled garden) software, and a ridiculous price tag. I'd never buy one, and certainly not at launch price, but to each their own.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    I have always stayed one or two models behind on phones and have used iphones for about close to 10 years now, I think.

But recently, a series of events transpired that essentially put a new iphone 11 in my hands for free, just days after its release, replacing my 8s.

I miss the home button and I miss the ability to unlock it with my finger print.

I supposed the home button is no big deal--but I really liked the finger print unlock.

The face unlock is a pain in the ass. When the phone is mounted on your dashboard, as it is supposed to be in my state, it can't see your face. And according to the laws here, you're not supposed to use the phone while driving unless you can use it by just pressing the button once. Well, it's six presses to unlock the phone with the code. So, if you're going to stay within the law, you can't use it while driving, not even for navigation.

So, iphone 11 is a fail in my opinion.

I would have preferred to stay with the 8s. If I were upgrading from a 6, I would go with the 8s or one of the higher model 8's. I think those were the last with a home button and fingerprint unlock.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Finger print unlock is garbage. More often than not my 8 shrugs off my attempts so maybe my fingers are always dirty? Picked up a 11 Pro Max for the wife. I saw it as upgrading the family camera. We have been fortunate lately so why not splurge on some things?

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)
    I still haven't done anything yet. The cost of the new phone, not to mention other life expenses coming up, has me putting a new phone on the back burner. If the battery life issue continues to get on my tits, I'll likely pull the trigger on a new phone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    The face unlock is a pain in the ass. When the phone is mounted on your dashboard, as it is supposed to be in my state, it can't see your face. And according to the laws here, you're not supposed to use the phone while driving unless you can use it by just pressing the button once. Well, it's six presses to unlock the phone with the code. So, if you're going to stay within the law, you can't use it while driving, not even for navigation.

So, iphone 11 is a fail in my opinion.
    Set navigation before you start driving?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goalieman24 View Post
    Set navigation before you start driving?
    And when the screen shuts off for whatever random reason it seems to happen for?

If I offended anyone by saying that the iphone 11 is a fail, I apologize. Because I don't want to argue about it--I don't like it and I miss the fingerprint unlock and the home buttons features.

You and others maybe you like face recognition. I don't.

I also like the home button. I still can't seem to swipe things the right way to force quit an app without trying several times.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    And when the screen shuts off for whatever random reason it seems to happen for?

If I offended anyone by saying that the iphone 11 is a fail, I apologize. Because I don't want to argue about it--I don't like it and I miss the fingerprint unlock and the home buttons features.

You and others maybe you like face recognition. I don't.

I also like the home button. I still can't seem to swipe things the right way to force quit an app without trying several times.
    Not sure anyone is offended, I just think it's hard to sign on to your assessment that the iPhone 11 "is a fail" when your reason for reaching that conclusion is pretty specific to you.
    Ben

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Not sure anyone is offended, I just think it's hard to sign on to your assessment that the iPhone 11 "is a fail" when your reason for reaching that conclusion is pretty specific to you.
    Okay, what would you like my apology to say?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Okay, what would you like my apology to say?
    Why are you interpreting everyone’s responses to you as hostile and offended?
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)
    I believe if his statement were interpreted as it being a fail for him then this wouldn't matter. It's usage and opinion and I read it as such. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk