Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New iPhone? Can't decide...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    To me we’ve gotten to the point where there isn’t much of a difference in phone models year over year. Except for maybe the camera but I don’t take many pictures so that feature doesn’t really appeal to me. I upgraded earlier this year but only because my iPhone 6 wouldn’t make it through the day without having to be charged 2-3 times. That being said I upgraded to the iPhone XR and have liked it.
    Totally agree. There is definitely planned obsolescence as well. My old phone wasn't getting any system updates and it got to the point where certain apps wouldn't install unless I used an old version. But, there didn't seem to be any logical reason for any of this as they release "new" phones with the same RAM and processing speed as my old phone that do get system updates.

One thing holding me back from getting a new phone is they no longer offer the medium-grey back in the Note models and I like that color. I have considered the blue. I know that color is a silly reason as I could just skin the phone with whatever color.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Currently use an iPhone 8+ and while I am "due" for an upgrade (had my current phone for 2 years), I'm probably going to hold off this go around and get whatever replaces the 11 next year (12? 11S?). I think I waited 3 years with my last upgrade as well (6+ to 8+) and that worked pretty well. That extra year or two makes any of the new features feel that much more special.

Edit: actually, reading back through that previous thread, I guess it was 3 years between my iPhone 5 and 6s+. And then only two years between the 6s+ and my current 8+. For what it's worth (to my point of waiting longer) I remember being a lot more excited about the 6s+ than I was the 8+. In any case, I'd probably be jumping ship to the 11 if was still using a 6s.
    Last edited by Deke; September 17th, 2019 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Totally agree. There is definitely planned obsolescence as well. My old phone wasn't getting any system updates and it got to the point where certain apps wouldn't install unless I used an old version. But, there didn't seem to be any logical reason for any of this as they release "new" phones with the same RAM and processing speed as my old phone that do get system updates.
    This is why I upgraded my 4s to the 6s. None of the apps would run anymore. And like most things in life now, you needed an app to do anything. Such as watch a movie on a plane for example. So I was compelled to upgrade. Same thing might end up happening this time around too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    If you can wait the next version should have 5G.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    If you can wait the next version should have 5G.
    Isn't the issue with 5G more of a battery/overheating thing?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Isn't the issue with 5G more of a battery/overheating thing?
    Yes 5G does use more battery and with that comes heat. At least from my awareness, I have supported testing of it for the US gov't use ... is the coverage just isn't there yet to really justify it more than the battery concerns.

https://www.macworld.com/article/343...ge-rumors.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    If you aren't stuck on Iphones and don't care about rooting/custom ROMs, the LG V35 is only $300 and competes easily with the newer phones. I got the wife and I one.
    The V40 price should be dropping soon as well with the release of the V50.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    When I was speaking with the mobile company to understand pricing and whatnot, they were telling me to wait until Black Friday. According to them I'll get much better deals if I do that. And since I'm in no rush for a phone, I'm thinking I may just wait.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    When I was speaking with the mobile company to understand pricing and whatnot, they were telling me to wait until Black Friday. According to them I'll get much better deals if I do that. And since I'm in no rush for a phone, I'm thinking I may just wait.
    I would speculate from previous deals that this will depend on the transaction.

Previously, the deals were structured so that you pay full price for the phone, activate it on a "qualified activation" for a particular phone plan, and then they give you a gift card or some other discount; it will probably be the same in 2019. These companies make money through contracts, not selling phones.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone brought this up, but the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program has worked great for me. It's basically a 2-year, 0% interest loan for your iPhone which you can renew every year (so, each new iPhone release). It also includes AppleCare+ which is a huge bonus.

I started with the 8, then the XR, now the 11. Super easy system, and I pay $36 a month for my phone, direct to Citizens Bank. You can make CC payments to the loan, so I get some rewards points too.

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/ip...pgrade-program
    6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34