Thread: New iPhone? Can't decide...

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    That's not at all paranoid.
    So some things to think about.

1. The fingerprint scanner on your phone is done by translating your finger print in to a complex mathematical algorithm. That algorithm is then checked against what is stored in a database. If they match, you are let in to your phone. But what happens if/when that database is hacked and all those numbers are out in the wild? You cannot change your fingerprint, and yet whenever that algorithm is run, it is your fingerprint that gets registered, even if you're not there to run it. So while bio-metrics is all the shizzle right now, it can go to hell pretty quick.

2. Law enforcement regularly subpoenas Amazon, Google, etc. for access to what might have been captured / overhead of in the privacy of your own home. Thinking of asking Amazon for the price of a new shovel and then your boss goes missing the next week? Yeah. Those records will be sent to the police. Even if you just wanted the shovel to plant a tree.

3. Amazon's ring sevice (where there is a camera in the doorbell) forms a mesh network with other devices capturing photos of who comes to your door. If there is a break in five blocks over, the police are given access to all the photos of people who were at your door over X number of days.

4. Highways and roads are using the Bluetooth in your phone and car to track you for purposes of 'traffic flow monitoring'. Ever think what will happen to that information if a) your boss goes missing or b) your wife thinks you're having an affair and decides to request the information about you and your car...

The question is, are we paranoid ENOUGH?

Anyway. Back to me getting a new surveillance device that I can carry with me at all times.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Here’s a buying guide comparing the 11 to the 11Pro.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ipho...iphone-11-pro/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So some things to think about.

1. The fingerprint scanner on your phone is done by translating your finger print in to a complex mathematical algorithm. That algorithm is then checked against what is stored in a database. If they match, you are let in to your phone. But what happens if/when that database is hacked and all those numbers are out in the wild? You cannot change your fingerprint, and yet whenever that algorithm is run, it is your fingerprint that gets registered, even if you're not there to run it. So while bio-metrics is all the shizzle right now, it can go to hell pretty quick.

2. Law enforcement regularly subpoenas Amazon, Google, etc. for access to what might have been captured / overhead of in the privacy of your own home. Thinking of asking Amazon for the price of a new shovel and then your boss goes missing the next week? Yeah. Those records will be sent to the police. Even if you just wanted the shovel to plant a tree.

3. Amazon's ring sevice (where there is a camera in the doorbell) forms a mesh network with other devices capturing photos of who comes to your door. If there is a break in five blocks over, the police are given access to all the photos of people who were at your door over X number of days.

4. Highways and roads are using the Bluetooth in your phone and car to track you for purposes of 'traffic flow monitoring'. Ever think what will happen to that information if a) your boss goes missing or b) your wife thinks you're having an affair and decides to request the information about you and your car...

The question is, are we paranoid ENOUGH?

Anyway. Back to me getting a new surveillance device that I can carry with me at all times.
    Don't buy one then?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    To me we’ve gotten to the point where there isn’t much of a difference in phone models year over year. Except for maybe the camera but I don’t take many pictures so that feature doesn’t really appeal to me. I upgraded earlier this year but only because my iPhone 6 wouldn’t make it through the day without having to be charged 2-3 times. That being said I upgraded to the iPhone XR and have liked it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    the XR is a generation back at this point. I think it's worth it to get a new 11 for the minor price bump.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I wait till the newest Galaxy comes out, then get the previous one in unlocked guise, throw my sim in, and go.

GS9+ right now,...But I got it and minus the whole "bixby" personal assistant thing (which thankfully can be turned off--not deleted, but at least minimized) it's groovin.

I HAVE THE SAME PHONE and same experience. you can take bixby off right quick if you hack your S9/S9+.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    I HAVE THE SAME PHONE and same experience. you can take bixby off right quick if you hack your S9/S9+.
    rooting is the worst thing you can possibly do if you use your phone to transmit *ANYTHING* personal.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    rooting is the worst thing you can possibly do if you use your phone to transmit *ANYTHING* personal.
    Rooting?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Rooting?
    Yes, rooting. As in gaining root privileges, or "hacking" as mentioned above. Root is to linux what "admin" is on a network. Basically. And by opening that up on your phone, you are allowing EVERY APP ON THAT PHONE to have root access.

That includes your internet browser. Do you have any idea how many nefarious scripts are attached to the ads you see on nearly every website every day? Now figure in those scripts having total unfettered access to EVERYTHING in your phone. Including all data for all other apps. Suddenly encrypted storage is no longer. I mean if you WANT all your money drained from your bank account and your identity stolen it's a fantastic way to help that happen.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Yes, rooting. As in gaining root privileges, or "hacking" as mentioned above. Root is to linux what "admin" is on a network. Basically.
    Thanks, I wasn't familiar with that terminology