Thread: Minimalist wardrobe folks - do you have a topcoat?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

Minimalist wardrobe folks - do you have a topcoat?

I've been focusing on keeping my wardrobe trim, and focus more on flexibility and quality of each piece I own, and it's working out for me so far.

However, my coats could use some updating, and I'm wondering about my worn out topcoat. To me, they provide warmth between a fall jacket and winter coat, but I feel that a jacket and coat are plenty enough for fall and winter in mid-Atlantic are I live in. It's also pretty expensive, considering a relatively limited use compare to a jacket and a coat.

Could I just get a proper winter coat with enough dressy touches that I can dress up with suit and tie underneath, and still not look out of place? If so, what are some style features that I can find in a regular winter coat that would be dress enough for most people?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I have one. It's kind of essential for dressier events, or really any time you need to wear a suit and really look dressed up/put together plus it's cold enough to need a coat. On really cold days when I don't have an important meeting or something I sometimes wear my down parka over a suit or sportcoat and it's fine except if I really need to look put together for some important event or meeting. Not sure what your definition of a "regular" winter coat is - might help us provide more assistance if you could be more specific on that point.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I have one but I get a lot of use out of it. I wear suits/sport coats 4-5 days of the week and we can get cold, snowy winter weather starting in October (I actually thought it might snow today but it didn't, at least not here in town) and not ending until May. I've got a long parka for when it gets really cold (single digits and below) but otherwise I wear my regular topcoat almost every weekday for a good 5-7 months out of the year.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Yes. At the bare minimum for going to work no other coat meets that basic level of formality. I love having a top coat. Took me 3-4 years to finally find one I like. I live around Washington DC area and mine gets almost daily use from nov on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    It depends on the rest of your wardrobe and your. If you wear suits often, you should have a topcoat. Parkas and suits don’t work well together unless it’s super cold.

If your wardrobe is more casual, you could probably omit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    To me, it's a must if you're wearing a sportcoat or suit. It can also be worn if you work in a dressier environment and want to wear it on top of a sweater.

If you're trying to be really minimalist, it's tough to have just one, since you often (but not always) size up on topcoats if you're always planning to wear them over a sport coat as opposed to wearing them over anything else. I have a few topcoats, and most of them are strictly "suit/sportcoat only" or strictly "no suit" topcoats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I picked up a grey one from BR last fall when it was on sale and have been very happy with it. Like lax101 said just make sure that you try it on over a sport coat. I made the mistake of not doing so and then had to go back and return it for a larger size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    I consider myself a minimalist/essentialist, and I've found it useful to have two coats: one dressier and one casual/active.

I personally have a topcoat because it's the dress coat style I prefer, and I got a great deal on one from JCrew a couple years ago. However, I don't think you should feel like that specific style is required unless you wear suits all the time, or prefer another style of dressier coat.