Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCBDs

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

OCBDs

So where can I get a decent casual OCBDs these days without breaking the bank? I was all set to buy some at Lands End, but it looks like their OCBDs have stretch fabric now. Spier & Mackay don't have my size. Anywhere else I should check?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    This is a subject near and dear to my heart, but I do wish there were better answers. I'm tall (6'3") and relatively slim (~195-200) so my answers might be slightly biased because of that. (I'm putting all slim fit ones in here, but every branch I mention makes a regular fit one if that's you're thing)

My first answer would be the Amazon Goodthreads. The slim is slim enough, not too long, decent enough weight. They're only ~$25 so it won't be the nicest shirt ever, but I find their fit better than almost everyone else.

Number 2 would be the Everlane slim ones. They have a lightweight one and a more normal one. These would just be a next level of nice, fit is good, and they have some cool colors. Is $60 frugal enough? Up to you, and the 'normal' colors will probably never go on sale.

Number 3 is probably the J Crew ones, but with a caveat. In almost every shirt, I'm a large slim. The large slim in these (and almost every other J crew shirt) is just way too blousy and long, and the medium is way too tight in the shoulders. For some reason the slim untucked fits way better and seems like maybe a half inch shorter in the hem with the sleeves being almost identical to the regular slim from what I can tell.
    It also says stretch in the title, but it's 100% cotton and doesn't really feel stretchy in the way you would think too if that's a concern.

Number 4 would be the Ralph Lauren ones with caveat that it has a logo and that could be an immediate deal breaker. The material is pretty nice and they generally go on sale for an extra 30-40% off. They have nice fabric and a nice drape, but again the logo...

So my favorite (and most expensive (and most weird?)) are the Bonobos stretch oxfords https://bonobos.com/products/stretch...irt?color=blue
    They are definitely a more casual shirt and have a slightly weird material, but it drapes and feels really nice. Their collar is also a concealed button down which is kind of weird since almost every other casual OCBD has a regular button down collar. My guess is this is not what you are looking for, but I needed to mention it.

One obvious one I'm not including is Uniqlo. In the past, they've had nice ones, but the current iterations are just way way too long. If you have a really long torso or want to tuck them in all the time, definitely take a look.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    So where can I get a decent casual OCBDs these days without breaking the bank? I was all set to buy some at Lands End, but it looks like their OCBDs have stretch fabric now. Spier & Mackay don't have my size. Anywhere else I should check?
    What is your size at S&M? The reason I ask is that I used to buy my neck size in contemporary then wash on cold and hang dry. This recently changed where I go up a neck size and in slim fix then wash on whatever and dry in the dryer. This breaks in the shirt well and leaves them less stiff. Some complain about the slightly bigger body which I have not noticed as the dryer helps out.

I know the dryer may prematurely age clothes but how long are people wanting a shirt to last? I have some a few years old without issues.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    I recently got 100% OCBD from Banana Republic and I like it. It has a slight stretch due to the nature of the fiber, but nothing like a spandex mix.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I've had luck on eBay. There's a metric ton of Brooks Brothers OCBDs out there, seemingly in every size combination. I've seen fewer O'Connell's's's's and Kamakura, but there are a few lurking around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexd3 View Post
    My first answer would be the Amazon Goodthreads. The slim is slim enough, not too long, decent enough weight. They're only ~$25 so it won't be the nicest shirt ever, but I find their fit better than almost everyone else.
    These look interesting. What size are you in the Goodthreads OCBD? J Crews fits me about like you describe, with M a smidge tight in the shoulders and L needing tailoring to pull in the waist. Wondering how the Goodthreads sizing compares. -thx

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    These look interesting. What size are you in the Goodthreads OCBD? J Crews fits me about like you describe, with M a smidge tight in the shoulders and L needing tailoring to pull in the waist. Wondering how the Goodthreads sizing compares. -thx
    I would think the Goodthreads one would fit perfectly then, it will skim your sides and has a nice natural taper to it. It's a surprisingly good shirt from Amazon.

The downside is that is not quite as nice as some of the more expensive options and they have limited colors, but you can get them without pockets which is a plus to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Kamakura makes the best for the money in my opinion...they aren’t cheap by any means, but they aren’t going to break the bank.

The materials are great, and if you buy the “sport” version, the cuffs and collars are non-fused. The collar is long enough to make a great roll.

This is the OCBD that you’re looking for...Treat yoself