Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: OCBDs

  1. #11
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Kamakura makes the best for the money in my opinion...they aren’t cheap by any means, but they aren’t going to break the bank.

    The materials are great, and if you buy the “sport” version, the cuffs and collars are non-fused. The collar is long enough to make a great roll.

    This is the OCBD that you’re looking for...Treat yoself
    +1. They really are that good!

  2. #12
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    For those who don't mind a stiffer collar and who are reasonably fit, the Nordstrom trim fit house brand is excellent. The 15.5 trim fit is perfect on me. With JCrew, the medium slim is right in the waist but too tight across the shoulders.

    I wouldn't wear one casually due to the collar, but for wearing one under a sport coat (or under a sweater at the office), they're great.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I also love Kamakura shirts (I have two OCBDs), but if you don't want to spend $90-100 a shirt, take a look at Uniqlo's.

  4. #14
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    How is the fit on those Kamakura?

    I'm a medium slim in JCrew, medium in BR as well.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    How is the fit on those Kamakura?

    I'm a medium slim in JCrew, medium in BR as well.
    Rather confusing! They have FOUR fits: New York Classic, New York Slim, Tokyo Classic, and Tokyo Slim. And, because the sizes are converted from metric, the various fits are not available in all the standard US shirt neck/sleeve sizes. I think you can generalize to say that New York vs. Tokyo is about basic body type, and then Classic vs. Slim within each is more about how you prefer your clothing to fit. They also have some "Vintage Ivy" shirts that are alpha sized.

    However, I did not buy anything from them until I was in New York and could go to their store to try things on. It took me probably 20 minutes in a fitting room, with a staff person bringing me various fits, and various sizes within them, to finally figure out what fit me best. I am on the larger side (6', 200 lbs); I typically wear a 16 neck and a 44 jacket size. I ended up going with the New York Classic in 16/35.5, which is a bit longer sleeve than I usually get, but it wasn't too long. My other Kamakura shirt is from the Vintage Ivy collection (beautiful denim fabric), and in that the XL fits great. (For comparison, I wear XL in J. Crew, and can wear either their slim or classic fit).

    I'll also add that if you do have the opportunity to visit their NYC store, everyone is extremely pleasant and helpful. It seems to be a hallmark of how they run the place. Sadly the downtown store at Brookfield Place just closed, but the midtown store (400 Madison) remains open.

  6. #16
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the passenger View Post
    Rather confusing! They have FOUR fits: New York Classic, New York Slim, Tokyo Classic, and Tokyo Slim. And, because the sizes are converted from metric, the various fits are not available in all the standard US shirt neck/sleeve sizes. I think you can generalize to say that New York vs. Tokyo is about basic body type, and then Classic vs. Slim within each is more about how you prefer your clothing to fit. They also have some "Vintage Ivy" shirts that are alpha sized.

    However, I did not buy anything from them until I was in New York and could go to their store to try things on. It took me probably 20 minutes in a fitting room, with a staff person bringing me various fits, and various sizes within them, to finally figure out what fit me best. I am on the larger side (6', 200 lbs); I typically wear a 16 neck and a 44 jacket size. I ended up going with the New York Classic in 16/35.5, which is a bit longer sleeve than I usually get, but it wasn't too long. My other Kamakura shirt is from the Vintage Ivy collection (beautiful denim fabric), and in that the XL fits great. (For comparison, I wear XL in J. Crew, and can wear either their slim or classic fit).

    I'll also add that if you do have the opportunity to visit their NYC store, everyone is extremely pleasant and helpful. It seems to be a hallmark of how they run the place. Sadly the downtown store at Brookfield Place just closed, but the midtown store (400 Madison) remains open.
    How would you say the XL in Vintage Ivy fit compared to a JCrew XL in slim?

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    How would you say the XL in Vintage Ivy fit compared to a JCrew XL in slim?
    I see what you're getting at. I just did a direct comparison, and they are virtually the same. The Kamakura is about 1/2" wider across the shoulders, pretty much exactly the same under the arms, coming in a little more at the waist (again, maybe 1/2") but widening out to the same at the hem. Of course, no guarantee this translates from XL to M, but one could make a reasonable assumption.

  8. #18
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the passenger View Post
    I see what you're getting at. I just did a direct comparison, and they are virtually the same. The Kamakura is about 1/2" wider across the shoulders, pretty much exactly the same under the arms, coming in a little more at the waist (again, maybe 1/2") but widening out to the same at the hem. Of course, no guarantee this translates from XL to M, but one could make a reasonable assumption.
    Maybe I'll take a risk. Definitely does not seem to have the typical sizing issues present when purchasing from an asian brand.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Maybe I'll take a risk. Definitely does not seem to have the typical sizing issues present when purchasing from an asian brand.
    Good luck, I hope it works out. One other thing to note about the Vintage Ivy shirts: they have a couple of deliberate design details that some might consider omissions by today's standards: the front has only six buttons, and there are no sleeve gauntlet buttons either. It doesn't make any difference to me when wearing it, but others might feel differently. On the other hand, you do get a back collar button and a locker loop.

    Also, I need to amend what I said before: after going to the Kamakura website and reviewing their size charts, I have to conclude that the Vintage Ivy shirt I bought is in fact a Tokyo XL, not a New York. I know I tried it on before buying it, so I knew it fit correctly. But I got confused because when I'd bought my first shirt the year before, that one is a neck/sleeve New York Classic fit. So my size comparison is really between J. Crew XL slim and Kamakura Vintage Ivy Japan fit XL. You can find the size charts on any item page in the Vintage Ivy collection, such as: https://kamakurashirts.com/collectio...ducts/whg00225

  10. #20
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    I buy a New York Slim Fit...the Tokyo Slim Fit was extremely slim. To me, the New York Slim Fit was most equivalent to a U.S. style slim (hence the name, I’m assuming.) I typically buy a 16 34/35 (or 35 if I can), and the 16 36.5 fit perfectly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •