Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost weight and clothes don't fit; tailor, hold off, or buy new?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Get down to a healthy weight; make a commitment to keep it there; give away clothes you don't wear that much anyway; tailor some of the pants to get you through the transition period; and then start gradually replacing the old clothes with higher quality new ones. That way you'll upgrade yourself and your wardrobe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    My concern with buying new pants is what if I gain the weight back?
    I step on the scale every morning. When necessary, I will eat less today and/or jog some later tonight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    After focusing on dropping some weight (read all about it here) I lost enough weight that my pants no longer fit. The wife things they look like diapers because I have the cinch my belt up to tight to keep my pant from falling down.

So. I'm now faced with a dilemma.

1) Tailor my pants so they fit properly
    2) Do nothing, in case I gain the weight back, and keep cinching up my pants as much as I can
    3) Keep the pants as-is, and purchase new pants that fit.

What have other done in this situation? My concern with buying new pants is what if I gain the weight back? Winter is coming which means my level of activity will decrease. Heaven knows I don't want to gain the weight back.
    Congrats on the loss! I think major investment pieces are worth tailoring, but as for some of the everyday items that rely heavily on proper fit to look good, maybe something like OCBD, I would consider getting a new one.
    Have you thought about getting an indoor workout equipment? Doesn't have to be anything crazy, a compact and cardio machine should help your weight down.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Body composition change! Keep the clothes and get swole. Fill The baggy clothes back up with muscles.
    YES! Do this.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Are you trying to maintain the new weight? Are these lifestyle changes you’ve fully embraced or something you may not find sustainable.

How bad is the cinching? I’d tend to ride it out through winter and see if sustainable. I’m not a big fan of reinvesting the time and money I’ve already spent unless worth it.
    I am definitely trying to keep the new weight. I am implementing some lifestyle changes (reduce sugar, reduce booze) and keep the exercise level up.

I think what I'll do is get some of my clothes tailored and leave the other ones for the time being. If come 2020 I am at the same weight, then I can assume I'm holding steady get either a) get rid of the clothes and rebuild the wardrobe or b) get what I own tailored.

@lgball congats on the weight loss. That's awesome!!!