Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost weight and clothes don't fit; tailor, hold off, or buy new?

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

Lost weight and clothes don't fit; tailor, hold off, or buy new?

After focusing on dropping some weight (read all about it here) I lost enough weight that my pants no longer fit. The wife things they look like diapers because I have the cinch my belt up to tight to keep my pant from falling down.

So. I'm now faced with a dilemma.

1) Tailor my pants so they fit properly
    2) Do nothing, in case I gain the weight back, and keep cinching up my pants as much as I can
    3) Keep the pants as-is, and purchase new pants that fit.

What have other done in this situation? My concern with buying new pants is what if I gain the weight back? Winter is coming which means my level of activity will decrease. Heaven knows I don't want to gain the weight back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)
    Having been there and am there again, have them altered. I find it is less trouble to take perfectly good trousers I already like and have them shaped correctly than trying to find new ones.

An alternative is to get some proper braces and sew in suspender buttons. There is no consequence to this if you happen to gain the weight back. There is no consequence if you end up having them altered, either. I am terrible at sewing and admittedly overanalyzed the whole operation before actually doing it.m, but it only ended up taking me a couple of minutes per button once I started doing it. Remember to wrap the thread a couple of times and actually tie off the buttons correctly once you are finished. If you are good at sewing, kindly ignore my story of incompetence.

I realize this may be cheating, but I also have the "tuck-it" shirt stay belt to keep my shirts tucked in with trousers that don't exactly fit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I went through the same process. I had mine altered, but then ended up giving them away. I wore them for a bit, but my "big guy" pants with the pleats and the big legs just didn't alter right. They fit in the waist, but they just have a different look. Once I lost the weight, I wanted to wear slimmer cuts. I'm sure I could have had a tailor taper the legs, etc., but then I'm spending $75 to alter a $75 pair of pants. That doesn't make sense.

So I'm in the Buy New camp. If it matters, I went from a 40-41 waist to a 34-35 waist.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lgball View Post

So I'm in the Buy New camp. If it matters, I went from a 40-41 waist to a 34-35 waist.
    I would say that matters a lot. I tried to have some trousers altered 6 inches and even with altering the sides, they never looked right.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    It may be a good time to just do an overall assessment of how much you like the clothes you have. I.e. a good opportunity to cull the items that don't fit you anymore and you may not have liked or worn much anyway, and replace them with things that fit that you like better; but hold onto the items that don't currently fit great, but you still like and would wear again if they do fit in the future. That way if you gain again (intentionally or unintentionally) you at least won't be starting from scratch.

My weight yo-yos a bit between bulking and cutting and I am all too familiar with the problem of losing weight, getting rid of your "fat" clothes, and then having nothing to wear when you get bigger again.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    Are you trying to maintain the new weight? Are these lifestyle changes you’ve fully embraced or something you may not find sustainable.

How bad is the cinching? I’d tend to ride it out through winter and see if sustainable. I’m not a big fan of reinvesting the time and money I’ve already spent unless worth it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    If it matters, I went from a 40-41 waist to a 34-35 waist.
    I'm not sure if it matters for the pants discussion, but I'm very sure it matters in life. That's tremendous progress, congrats!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I'm not sure if it matters for the pants discussion, but I'm very sure it matters in life. That's tremendous progress, congrats!
    Thanks. Best part is that I've kept it off for 4+ years now. I feel so much better and I still get a little thrill when I can order anything that is "slim fit."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Thanks. Best part is that I've kept it off for 4+ years now. I feel so much better and I still get a little thrill when I can order anything that is "slim fit."
    Right on man! (insert flexing muscle emoji here)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    Body composition change! Keep the clothes and get swole. Fill The baggy clothes back up with muscles.