Thread: Has anyone outgrown Dappered?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Has anyone outgrown Dappered?

Before any gets upset, please read...

Like many of you, Ive been a loyal reader for as long as I can remember. I started out in my 20s making a meager income and I needed to look nice for work. Basically, I needed stuff, I didnt have a ton to spend, and I didnt mind accumulating. Quantity definitely took precedent over quality.

Im not in my mid 30s, and Im making significantly more than I was when I started reading. Ive also become smarter to realize that I dont need as much stuff, and quality is way more important than quantity. I dont need $30 sweaters from Amazon or cheap sport coats from Banana Republic.

This isnt a knock on this site, as it certainly serves a great need. However, Im stranded in no-mans land...Im definitely not at a level where Im buying the stuff Ive seen on Permanent Style, Put This On, etc., but Im not buying the majority of stuff I see here.

Anybody else in a similar position? Where do you go to content thats more applicable to you!?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1054 Post(s)
    I've been around for quite a while and have not outgrown what is offered here. For instance, I still wear some of my BR sweaters I bought in 2012/2103. I have migrated towards Spier & Mackay which is a similar price point and people on here discuss all the time. It just depends on what you are looking for.

I think you can find things here that still fit your profile. Don't just think because things are more expensive they are better. Buying J. Crew Cashmere vs. Uniqulo or some other brand likely offers very little difference even though there is a huge pricing difference.

With that said, what are you looking for? Post up a thread asking and people will happily give you some suggestions.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    628 Post(s)
    absolutely, but i still find some of the discourse here a large bit bearable than styleforum or the GYW reddit so here I am!

also this site knows when all the AE sales are <3
    Last edited by evanparker; September 10th, 2019 at 09:41 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Im not sure I look at it the same way. I have used the site to build a wardrobe and am at the point, for the most part, where I have what I need. As things wear out Ill be looking to replace/upgrade and the sales are great for that. Also, new products/fits are always coming out so the reviews are nice. Even though I dont agree with the conclusions at times the info is good. Are there things the site recommends that doesnt fit with where I am? Sure it does, so I dont pay attention to those. But sometimes things are mentioned that I wouldnt have thought of for myself before. Also, I have a few things Ive been looking at incorporating to my wardrobe or replacing, so Ill keep an eye out for those sales or similar items to get reviewed.

Look, if you bought a new pair of jeans every time something went on sale, youd be crazy (IMO). So maybe ask for your specific needs and help out others asking questions that youve already figured out for yourself?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    interesting post and something that may well describe my situation, but then I see posts with people posting $15,000 worth of watches among concerns about spending more than $40 on a shirt, and I figure there's still some room to grow...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Most definitely. To anyone who knows my posts, I am huge on Polo and Brooks Brothers which get very little coverage on this site. Back when I started reading this site (probably just past inception in 2007-2008) every post was a must read, now it's more a click on something I am interested in. Part of it is I know how to dress myself and I know my point of view (so congratulations on this site and others... you taught me well). The other part is what you said, I make more money. I still like to hear about AE, BR, different sales, but I cringe whenever JCF is posted since that garbage isnt worth the postage it costs to mail it out. I think Joe is great, and the discourse on the forum is fantastic so I post here more than read the main site.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I don't read the main site a ton anymore. Part of that is the removal of the comments section, which to me was one of the more enjoyable aspects of the site. Part of it is that I want my buying habits to be less driven by impulse and opportunity (i.e., the existence of a sale that drops the price of an item I wouldn't otherwise be interested in buying).

Part of the reason I formerly used Dappered was to "find" brands that carried the kinds of things I wanted to buy at reasonable prices. I've been in the game for long enough now, though, that I pretty much know where to look to find stuff. If I wanted to go in deeper (and up higher in terms of pricing) I could get into Styleforum or wherever but that's not where my interests are at right now.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks to all of the posts above. I do find the forum to be useful, and the members here do a great job pitching in and answering questions. The main is the main page and Joe’s articles. (Joe - you do a great job, it’s me...not you.) Some of the looks and brands referenced are pretty juvenile compared to what I think most men evolve to at my age. As a poster mentioned above, JCF is garbage, and while there is still quality to be had a decent price from some of these retailers, I don’t foresee myself buying a lot of the stuff I see anymore.

I think at this point, I’m looking for content that appeals more toward my age and spending habits...I’m probably not on a StyleForum, PTO, GYW level, but I am looking for the gap between Dappered and these high end websites. Any thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Thanks to all of the posts above. I do find the forum to be useful, and the members here do a great job pitching in and answering questions. The main is the main page and Joe’s articles. (Joe - you do a great job, it’s me...not you.) Some of the looks and brands referenced are pretty juvenile compared to what I think most men evolve to at my age. As a poster mentioned above, JCF is garbage, and while there is still quality to be had a decent price from some of these retailers, I don’t foresee myself buying a lot of the stuff I see anymore.

I think at this point, I’m looking for content that appeals more toward my age and spending habits...I’m probably not on a StyleForum, PTO, GYW level, but I am looking for the gap between Dappered and these high end websites. Any thoughts?
    I wouldnt say that the places you listed are necessarily high end. The main difference is that dappered focuses on a certain price range and aesthetic and does a good job of curating relevant content such that it becomes a one stop shop if youre starting out with the basics.

If you look at SF for example, two of the most popular threads are AE and Spier & Mackay which are not high end in the luxury sense of high end. GYW is a ton of Thursday boots and red wing, also not high end. You can certainly find good info for a range of budgets on these places, its just not curated into well synthesized and easy to digest content.

Ive found places like PTO or DWW helpful as far as broadening my horizons beyond the basics, and you dont need to spend $1,000 on a pair of shoes to try the types of style that they get into there. Just requires a bit more experimentation and active research but that makes sense when youre going beyond the easily defined and approachable basics.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    This is a great topic--and I agree.

I started reading this website in college, when a $200 investment for a suit seemed like a pretty serious investment, and any watch over $100 seemed like a lot. As I've gotten older, I would rather pay a little more for something that's a bit higher quality, lasts longer, and checks all of the boxes for what I'm looking for (rather than checking "most" boxes). Likewise, I'm telling myself less, "OK, this [shirt/jacket/pair of pants/etc.] comes in a weird color/pattern, but it's so cheap! I can pull it off, right?"

It's not that the website has become stale, by any means--it's more that it's suited towards a specific economic bracket, which is just completely fine. There are probably college kids and young professionals just discovering this website on a daily basis, and it'll be a great resource for them for the next ~3-7 years. If anything, I'm kind of surprised that Joe is able to keep the same enthusiasm for clothes in the same price bracket, year after year, while I'm sure his tastes are evolving (but then again, if you look at the earlier years of Dappered, the recommendations are certainly different).

Today, I pick and choose what content to read. Seasonal content like today's "Fall Temptation Guide" is still great, since there's a wide range of what's offered. But there's other content that simply doesn't appeal to me anymore as I've aged out of it, or I simply (and vehemently) disagree with his advice (namely: watches. Don't get me started).

I also wished the comments section were still around, but it seems like there was enough negativity on there, that Joe got fed up with it. I once made a mildly negative (but not particularly mean) comment in response to one of his reviews, and he sent me an e-mail directly about it, where it seemed like he got pretty worked up over the feedback. It seemed to me like he was already a bit triggered/sensitive already, and the comments were phased out not much long afterwards.