Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone outgrown Dappered?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skewl View Post
    I will say I'm starting to move up on the scale of what gets air time around here, like most others I've moved on from JCF and I'm a little wary of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, but the Banana Republic, Nordstrom, and JCrew sales coverage is top notch. I think the way to think about it is I've differentiated in the last ~5 years, I picked up on the denim nerd trend and read Heddels every once in a while, I've become a watch nerd so I read Hodinkee, but I honestly find myself coming back to the main site here every time. I'm not obsessed with what I wear, but keeping up on what looks good makes me feel good.

Writing style is unparalleled too. StyleForum, and even Put This On and Die Workwear can get insufferably pretentious, Dappered brings it down to earth and I actually find myself using some of the vernacular from the site when I'm shopping myself (like from today's post, I'll remember to avoid the "crusty old blanket" feel in my next tweed sportcoat).
    I typed up a big reply on my phone. It went poof, so...here is the short version:

Have not outgrown, but I get different things from it. I'm no longer the beginner looking for outfit help, I'm five years in. But I do still value the down to earth style, the reminders that clothes are not more important than the humans wearing them (some other sites are so pretentious that it appears those values are flipped).

Maybe I'm just that simple, but Joe still mostly speaks my language, and I don't regularly visit anywhere else despite having looked many other places.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Have not outgrown, but I am not experimenting as much. I read r/malefashionadvice, styleforum, askandy (when I had a more business styled government job), and a few others. I have found my 'uniform' I guess. I tried the streetwear/joggers/ultraboost, not for me. I tried white sneakers, but still no. Generally any time I am casual and could wear ultraboost/white sneakers, I would prefer wearing chukka/chelsea boots.

Occasionally other brands are posted, like Huckberry house brands, Ledbury, Todd Snyder, and another which is escaping me for the moment.

Some other resources I like
    https://effortlessgent.com/
    https://www.themodestman.com/

Living in NYC, I'd love to wear suits more and experiment, like https://www.articlesofstyle.com/arti...-in-steel-blue
    But I don't make that money yet, and my commute between bus/hot subway stations would kill the suits, would need to be in a position to walk to work.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I agree that dappered remains well suited (wink wink) for the gap between pure fast fashion of uniqlo and the snobbery of $1000 John Lobbs and bespoke tailoring, although I still enjoy reading permanent style, and I like PTO deapite the streetwear, vintage americana, and sneaker stuff just not being up my alley, especially at some of the prices mentioned.

I started reading dappered In law school where I had the motivation to dress better but not all the means so dappered was great. Now, 7 years into practicing I find myself ignoring the JCF posts.

But I still come back religiously for ideas, and the forums. I used to read effortless gent too, but going back after the above post I remember why I stopped. The writing is weak, and it feels just a tad poser-y and cliched (the twillory review is cringe worthy. And if he didnt get paid for it, its even worse - it reads like bad copy rather than personal experience, something dappered never does).

So kudos to Joe for helping me on my journey and for keeping up the engagement and authenticity factor even if some of the products featured are not what Im looking for right now at this point in my life. There is probably a very direct line from dappered to my current personal style.

To the advertisers, I still read every day and enter every giveaway and buy lots of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been following dappered since about 2011.

I think that dappered has stayed a bit stale for the most part. The general fashion sense and recommendations has not changed much int he last 8 years.

Don't get me wrong, there are still great articles, sales, and advice on staples and a general style.

However, I find that they are much less willing to embrace newer and "funner" styles. I still find stuff i regularly like on the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    This might be a contrarian opinion, but I feel like I've outgrown every style site/blog except Dappered. Dappered is great way to for those of us 99% of guys who grew up without any knowledge of classical menswear to receive a crash course and build up a versatile wardrobe to cover the entire range of formalities and functions, from denim + boots to a proper tux, all at a huge bang:buck ratio. Once I started noticing what I really like, e.g. flannel trousers, Viyella shirts, soft tweed-lite jackets, burgundy shoes, double-breasted everything, and what I didn't really like, e.g. Chelsea boots, light sportcoats with jeans, and polos with blazers, I chased certain rabbitholes onto other references, and indeed found some really interesting stuff, e.g. Permanent Style and Die Workwear were and continue to be quite informative. In the process I've ended up peppering my wardrobe with what Dappered used to call "too expensive:" a few pairs of Carmina shoes, shell Daltons, a handful of nicer MTM suits, and an ivory dinner jacket (yes).

It didn't take long though before the guys behind most of these resources starting ringing really hollow and dishonest, more Tom Ripley, less Dickie Greenleaf, and not as handsome as either. This stuff is supposed to be timeless, but you can tell how little these guys are grounded in experience or authenticity, given how freely they all give in to various arbitrary trends, e.g. everyone was sucking down Negronis this year and aperitif spritzes last year, and suddenly everyone is rocking big lapels and high waisted pleated pants again despite mocking them three years ago. And just to keep it real, if you've ever gone to a Pitti Uomo but you are neither a vendor nor a buyer, I am positive we cannot be friends sry not sry ktxhbai.

From a perhaps more abstract perspective, clothes are one small part of how you present yourself to the world. It is one tool in your warchest when you go out to perform your duties and responsibilities. Hardy Amies said, “A man should look as if he had bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them." After digesting just about every bit of menswear literature these past few years, it seems that Dappered and maybe Derek Guy are probably the only ones who haven't forgotten that simple message. Sometimes it feels like like every other style blogger is too busy fussing over the sprezzatura of his tieclip and shirt collar to actually accomplish anything with his time.

So I'll generally only scroll through the sales announcements every day, and mostly I'm doing it for my friends and co-workers whom I am upgrading, but you can bet I am not missing the Friday posts, as well as the more big-picture articles on what really matters in life. The other style sites/blogs/Tumblrs etc. I've completely abandoned.

Bonus points: 200lb Joe is probably the only jacked style guy in the world right now.
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; September 11th, 2019 at 03:36 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I don't read the main site a ton anymore. Part of that is the removal of the comments section, which to me was one of the more enjoyable aspects of the site. Part of it is that I want my buying habits to be less driven by impulse and opportunity (i.e., the existence of a sale that drops the price of an item I wouldn't otherwise be interested in buying).

Part of the reason I formerly used Dappered was to "find" brands that carried the kinds of things I wanted to buy at reasonable prices. I've been in the game for long enough now, though, that I pretty much know where to look to find stuff. If I wanted to go in deeper (and up higher in terms of pricing) I could get into Styleforum or wherever but that's not where my interests are at right now.
    This is me too.

I only glance at the main site from time to time, but even that is not that often as it was contributing to impulse buying when it lists sales.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say I've outgrown it but I would say my purchasing habits have changed over the course of time. I'm buying less, buying better, but I still find that the site is useful. Joe does post sales from what I'd consider higher end retail - Nordy's, Huckberry, Brooks Brothers, Todd Snyder, Bonobos, SuitSupply (yeah their Napoli line is pretty affordable but everything else is...not super cheap), S&M...then a step down to J Crew and BR. I pretty much ignore anything on the real cheap end these days even if it comes with a rec (Target, Old Navy, H&M) because I know I'll be disappointed in the quality. But, that's all some folks' budgets can afford so those posts serve a purpose even though my finances have improved to the point that I'm beyond that stuff. It's good that somebody in the Style Blogosphere is looking out for those folks rather than focusing exclusively on high end labels.

I still shop J Crew and BR for casual clothes and occasionally J Crew for sport coats and suits (waiting for sales) but my suit and sport coat wardrobe is pretty built out so I'm not buying much of that stuff anymore. I'm impulse buying a lot less but that's because I have a bunch of stuff I like now, thanks to this and other sites. Plus when your wardrobe is built out you're like, "that's tempting but I already have something like it". This site is still in my top 3 (Valetmag.com and PutThisOn are the other two).
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Also, as others mentioned I do miss the comment section - it was helpful for those of us that aren't Joe sized to be able to find others of a similar size to get info on fits. I'm stuck between small and medium in most brands and found the comments to be very helpful in deciding whether to go small, or medium, to get the best fit on a particular item. The forum works for that to some degree but the comments were a much more convenient way to get that type of advice.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    I've followed Dappered for a few years now, and it has helped me tremendously to dress better. It probably leans more on safe side, but then as I'm getting older, that reliable, tried and true cannot be beaten. The fact that Joe makes efforts to make sure that his recommendations are reasonably keeping up with the trend also helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In certain aspects yes - Some of the lower end brands / stores I have 0 interest anymore (e.g. DSW, JCF). The quality is not there and in fact I'd call it garbage. I'm to the point where I want to invest in quality items and refine my style as I gracefully age. I started reading Dappered when I was in my mid-20's. I also quickly expanded into Ask Andy, Style Forum but primarily dropped them over the years as they were too Fashionable / Dandy for my tastes.

My biggest critique of Dappered at this point is the repetitive nature of the posts: Monday Sales Tripod, Thursday Handful. I get they make money on links but it gets repetitive because I get the same company emails letting me know about the sales.
    I love the reviews or new clothes brands and lines (e.g. I found the Amazon Peak Velocity to be one of the most helpful posts in a year, Spier and Mackay reviews are fantastic). Doing more of these reviews would be fantastic. Also an expansion into reviews of things like weekender bags, watches, belts, socks, sunglasses, and other men's accessories would be a fantastic add. Finally, since we could always use a helpful push is a weekly/monthly post on doing something special for you significant other (e.g. Date night in: Clothes to wear, movie(s) to watch, food to make, small gift ideas for them).

This all can be boiled down to liking to see the site evolve/maturation of the site as the users age. I'm now shopping for Peter Millar, Bonobos, Paige Denim, Mizzen + Main, Beckett Simonon, Suitsupply, Brooks Brothers, Spier and Mackay, etc. Yes these are more money but I buy them on sale. I recall a weekly or monthly post some years ago that was called the Stretch or something like that. I'd like to bring that back. I'm not in my 20's anymore. I'm a married man with a family in my 30's. My style has evolved and I assume that much of the reader base has as well. You can see Joe has changed his style over the years. He has gotten married and likely in the same boat as me/us.

Based on this thread there is a clear need to address the 'middle market' of men's fashion. This is the area where men know their style but want to stay on the vanguard of new brands and reviews.