Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone outgrown Dappered?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I wouldn't hate to see a few more non-style related posts that seemed to be more frequent in the earlier years. The Dappered Space series and this 2013 feature from the home page are good examples of what I mean.

https://dappered.com/2013/02/dopp-kit-essentials/

That being said I still find the content on the site to be somewhat useful. Like just about everyone else mentioned I know what brands I like and I typically tend to purchase from them. The daily/weekly sales roundups seem to feature the same items week to week and that gets a bit old for my taste. I rarely buy anything I see featured on the main site, but I find it to be a good place to get style ideas from. Ideas and inspiration I can then take to finding items from the brands I know work for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Occasionally they have Next Level/Too Expensive https://dappered.com/category/too-expensive/
    https://dappered.com/tag/next-level/

Thought of this because one of my email accounts just got a $100 discount to Cobbler Union...

And the store I was thinking before was Club Monaco, first time I had heard of it was on this site.
    Last edited by 77Pat; September 19th, 2019 at 09:33 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say I've outgrown Dappered. I would say after reading it almost every day for 6 months I got to the point where a lot of the content was repetitive. With a lot of air time going to "certain" brands I quickly which ones worked for me and after that there wasn't a lot of new info.

There are still the occasional posts about brands I have never heard of like the Greats sneakers I just purchased. To be honest I would have never discovered them on my own let along the big sale price. So for these moments if nothing else it is worth the read to me.

As another poster mentioned, the greater value to me is the forum. I get a lot of good information about brands and ideas here. The ability to ask questions of like minded and helpful individuals is important to me especially since none of my friends seem to care very much about what they wear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Nope. I'll never outgrow bargain shopping. Insert Jew jokes here...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    I guess the question is, why aren't there any new guys who are just discovering or starting their style journey?
    In short, sites like Reddit's MaleFashionAdvice and FrugalMaleFashion are vastly more popular these days than blog style content - MFA has 2.2M subscribers, FMF has 1.4M. Also, it's much easier to chat and connect with people on reddit than on sites like this. I'll admit, I also miss the comments section of the main site.

Reddit and Instagram, which is another huuuuuge fish in the style pond, also cater to more international style flavors. You get a lot of various styles and opinions from people stationed around the world, whereas Dappered still "feels" conservatively American.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Started following when I was around 26 or 27, when frankly I was a young professional that didn't know what the hell I was doing. The site was unmeasurably valuable as I was just getting started away from graphic tees, baggy jeans, and hooded sweatshirts. Echoing others in that the comments section to the main articles I found the most enjoyable and helpful. Bring those back Joe.

I'm now 34. I don't read every comment on the threads. I do read all the front page articles, though sometimes I go days without hitting the site. I'm not above quality and a good price so I still appreciate the reviews, Monday tripods, and Thursday handfuls but I mainly know what I like (thankfully Joe started highlighting Spier and Mackay).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    This was an interesting thread to read, thanks to MIS997 for posting it.

There's a phrase that seems relevant that hasn't come up yet. And I just did a search, it's only been used 1 other time in the history of the forum/site. And that is "lifestyle creep." Basically, as your income goes up, you spend your extra money on consumption, such that you don't really have the ability to make progress on other financial goals (whatever those may be: charity, early retirement, college savings, second home, etc.) You come to believe that you deserve, maybe even HAVE, to spend your money on higher- and higher-priced consumer goods.

It seems that I'm similar to a lot of posters. I'm 36. Started reading the site 6 or so years ago, when I made A LOT LESS MONEY than I do now. As I've made more money, I've definitely bought nicer things. But for me, it's also been important to still think carefully about individual purchases and whether the jump in price is actually a jump in quality that makes sense for me. A Uniqlo merino wool v-neck sweater for $40 (or $30 on sale, of course) is, for me, definitely going to be better than a $15 cotton sweater from Old Navy. But I'm not convinced that a $148 Brooks Brothers sweater is 1) better than the Uniqlo option or 2) SO MUCH BETTER that it's worth the price premium. For me, I'd rather give that money to charity and my retirement fund. But of course in American society there is a lot of pressure to buy the absolute most expensive thing you can afford (even if you can't really afford it).

No disrespect to anyone else who's making different choices with their money. Let your freak flag fly. But I've found this concept of lifestyle creep to be a helpful one to think about. And I definitely still find Dappered to be pretty ideal as I try to keep a middle-class budget on an upper-middle-class income.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
    This was an interesting thread to read, thanks to MIS997 for posting it.

There's a phrase that seems relevant that hasn't come up yet. And I just did a search, it's only been used 1 other time in the history of the forum/site. And that is "lifestyle creep." Basically, as your income goes up, you spend your extra money on consumption, such that you don't really have the ability to make progress on other financial goals (whatever those may be: charity, early retirement, college savings, second home, etc.) You come to believe that you deserve, maybe even HAVE, to spend your money on higher- and higher-priced consumer goods.

It seems that I'm similar to a lot of posters. I'm 36. Started reading the site 6 or so years ago, when I made A LOT LESS MONEY than I do now. As I've made more money, I've definitely bought nicer things. But for me, it's also been important to still think carefully about individual purchases and whether the jump in price is actually a jump in quality that makes sense for me. A Uniqlo merino wool v-neck sweater for $40 (or $30 on sale, of course) is, for me, definitely going to be better than a $15 cotton sweater from Old Navy. But I'm not convinced that a $148 Brooks Brothers sweater is 1) better than the Uniqlo option or 2) SO MUCH BETTER that it's worth the price premium. For me, I'd rather give that money to charity and my retirement fund. But of course in American society there is a lot of pressure to buy the absolute most expensive thing you can afford (even if you can't really afford it).

No disrespect to anyone else who's making different choices with their money. Let your freak flag fly. But I've found this concept of lifestyle creep to be a helpful one to think about. And I definitely still find Dappered to be pretty ideal as I try to keep a middle-class budget on an upper-middle-class income.
    Agree, that's sort of what I am going for. Was just reading this: https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2018...-edition-sale/

And the quote at the end stood out:
    Not all of us are able to buy bespoke shoes, just as not all of us are able to buy bespoke suits; but, we can at least buy the best we can afford. As our dear friend G. Bruce Boyer likes to say “Sure, if you’re experimenting with a new look, go for affordability. But when it comes to your staples, the items you want to hang on for years, then buy the best you can.”
    and a few others https://effortlessgent.com/bruce-boyer-style-quotes/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=dancinginyourhead;313560]

A Uniqlo merino wool v-neck sweater for $40 (or $30 on sale, of course) is, for me, definitely going to be better than a $15 cotton sweater from Old Navy. But I'm not convinced that a brooks brothers merino wool is 1) better than the Uniqlo option or 2) SO MUCH BETTER that it's worth the price premium. For me, I'd rather give that money to charity and my retirement fund. But of course in American society there is a lot of pressure to buy the absolute most expensive thing you can afford (even if you can't really afford it).

This is important. I was just in Brooks today looking at Merino sweaters. I couldnt help but think they were about equivalent to Uniqlo. This is a space that would be interesting for Dappered to rate. Because they are unbiased they can do this sort of comparison and give us the insight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=msuspartan232;313571]
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinginyourhead View Post

A Uniqlo merino wool v-neck sweater for $40 (or $30 on sale, of course) is, for me, definitely going to be better than a $15 cotton sweater from Old Navy. But I'm not convinced that a brooks brothers merino wool is 1) better than the Uniqlo option or 2) SO MUCH BETTER that it's worth the price premium. For me, I'd rather give that money to charity and my retirement fund. But of course in American society there is a lot of pressure to buy the absolute most expensive thing you can afford (even if you can't really afford it).

This is important. I was just in Brooks today looking at Merino sweaters. I couldnt help but think they were about equivalent to Uniqlo. This is a space that would be interesting for Dappered to rate. Because they are unbiased they can do this sort of comparison and give us the insight.
    Yea, there are certain thread on reddit I have liked, for instance:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...e_for_henleys/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...fall_outfit_3/

Which they do as well on Dappered, saying best in show and then a step up/splurge option.