Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone outgrown Dappered?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    The dude from art of manliness is kinda yolked now, but I don't know if he counts...
    Yeah Brett is basically an amateur powerlifter now, even having competed (though not competitive per se). He's really not a style guy though, he just gets the basics out, much like Dappered tends to.

As for this topic, I agree with the idea that people miss the excitement of discovery, transformation, growth and consumerism that happens when you first start the journey. The mens fashion scene burst on the scene and a bunch of guys could finally get good, real advice on how to dress properly that wasn't from a fashion first, show off perspective. Problem is that after a while, you've mastered the fundamentals and you lose the sense of progress, the thrill of novelty, the buying sprees and discovery and the new attention from others, which is now all normal. Its quite right that Dappered as "The Power of Boring, and the Danger of Boredom" as a featured post right now. Dappered is one of the only sites I still visit occasionally because its easier to thumb through the curation rather than shop through dozens of sites online. Style was always a means to an end for me and sense then I've moved on to bodybuilding/fitness/diet myself, while working on my social skills (which are still a work in progress). "Upgrading" from Dappered reads to me as a transition to style as a hobby more than some more advanced level of haberdashery.

There is value in higher end brands but I don't think its some upgraded form of style or sophistication. The Buy it for Life justification often fails to me because the people who make it tend to buy clothes more often than ones who stick with "mall-brands." I can see buying a few high end pieces you know you'll use the hell out of but I don't think Dappered need to nessessarily pivot to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say I've outgrown it, but I'm probably in a similar boat to a lot of guys on here now - mid/late 30's with a bit more money to spend than my younger years. As such, I tend to lean towards a bit more higher end quality that I think will last. I've never been into JCF or Banana, but I do like the posts on Nordstrom and other stuff on that level.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the site diversify a bit but starting to look at stuff that might cost a bit more but also worth it. Or heck - even posts about something that might cost a lot but a comparison to something that costs less. I've asked for help with things like tennis shoes and swimsuits on the forums before, and end up getting a good discussion around brands that I didn't even know existed. In some cases, that leads me to buying $200+ Oliver Cabell tennis shoes. Other times, I end up purchasing some expensive swimshits (Orlebar Brown) only to not really like the next year and then 'settle' on Chubbies 7 inch boardshorts this year and really liking them a lot. You never know without getting other opinions.
    It'd be cool to see a multi-tiered comparison post. Ex pants - Pants 1 - Amazon Goodthreads, Pants 2 - Banana, Pants 3 - Bonobos, Pants 4 - Something more expensive than Bonobos, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    There is value in higher end brands but I don't think its some upgraded form of style or sophistication. The Buy it for Life justification often fails to me because the people who make it tend to buy clothes more often than ones who stick with "mall-brands."
    That's the best representation of my opinion, better than I could have expressed it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    Style was always a means to an end for me and sense then I've moved on to bodybuilding/fitness/diet myself, while working on my social skills (which are still a work in progress). "Upgrading" from Dappered reads to me as a transition to style as a hobby more than some more advanced level of haberdashery.
    I'm on a similar path. Though I've been into fitness/lifting and martial arts before I started my style journey 10 years ago, now that I'm at the end of that journey I've refocused on fitness and realize that no matter how well I dress, an unfit body will ruin my look. I also agree about how leveling up to more expensive items doesn't seem worth it. Clothes will still wear out regardless of the cost. Leathers get scuffed, stitching gets loose/frayed, areas of fabric that get rubbed on get discolored and/or pill, etc. It just sucks less if it's not expensive.

As for the topic, I guess the question is, why aren't there any new guys who are just discovering or starting their style journey? I'm guessing this was all started by the menswear boom at the height of Mad Men's popularity, but it seems like athleisure and street wear has taken over again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    I'm on a similar path. Though I've been into fitness/lifting and martial arts before I started my style journey 10 years ago, now that I'm at the end of that journey I've refocused on fitness and realize that no matter how well I dress, an unfit body will ruin my look. I also agree about how leveling up to more expensive items doesn't seem worth it. Clothes will still wear out regardless of the cost. Leathers get scuffed, stitching gets loose/frayed, areas of fabric that get rubbed on get discolored and/or pill, etc. It just sucks less if it's not expensive.

As for the topic, I guess the question is, why aren't there any new guys who are just discovering or starting their style journey? I'm guessing this was all started by the menswear boom at the height of Mad Men's popularity, but it seems like athleisure and street wear has taken over again.
    This is a good post and I agree. I think the dumbing down of overall formality has also led to a lack of new individuals. While my office is business formal over the past year its significantly declined. Not officially. But unofficially people are more comfortable wearing jeans. Then it stretches to poor fitting shirts. Not tucking in etc. I see that a lot recently where people think a certain level of presenting a put together look is too much work.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    ... but it seems like athleisure and street wear has taken over again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Guess Im in the minority here..

Im now in my mid 30s and have LESS to spend on clothes. With kids, bigger car means bigger car payments, bigger house means bigger house payments.

I went from buying diesel jeans and 7for all mankind jeans and true religion stuff and saks house brand stuff, VINCE shirts, etc....

... to now scouring ON for that sweet $3 t shirt I can rock all summer. My entire summer wardrobe was built upon the rock of old navy. Ya know what? It was fine. I lived peacefully.

I work in j crews 484 stretch chinos. I DID recently make a few purchases from BR in their 50-52% off sales. But that felt like I was getting taken!

So I guess dappered has been what its always been for me. Im not evolving. My kids are. And its great. Right? I mean, its great.

Side note: I do have a soft spot for expensive shoes. Im looking at you AE of 3 years ago and Alden.

Also, I bought a $500 watch. Sue me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Definitely an interesting take. I don't think I've outgrown the site but I definitely find myself purchasing much less in general. I know my style and what I like much more than ever so I can easily pass on a lot of what's posted. That's either because I own something similar or I'm just not interested.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Been thinking about this and I wonder if it's finding your preferences that can lead to this. Before I started reading Dappered, I didn't know fit the different brands etc. Now I know nothing from Banana Republic really fits me. So if I see a recommendation for that I just skip over. I'm also not as interested in trying new brands (e.g., Amazon, etc.) since through trial and error through initial postings I've found what I think looks good on me.

For example, I see a thread on S&M ... I'm def reading. Threads on bonobos or J Crew sales ... sign me up.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    In the almost two years I've been around here, I've found the forum to be much more helpful and engaging than the main site. I like unique brands that offer good value.

For example, I've become a big fan of JFitzpatrick shoes, after reading about them on the forum. However, the main site rarely discusses this great brand, if at all, even when Justin has a great sale. I'm guessing it's because they don't get a piece of the action when we click on a link.

I don't begrudge that--everybody needs to eat and pay the mortgage/rent.

Other unique options with great value I've discovered on the forum, or because of the forum, include Sam Hober Ties, and Cobbler Union and Herring shoes.

So, in the framework of the original OP, I don't think I've outgrown the site in my short time using it, and as long as the forum users keep posting about unique brands they've discovered, I don't think I will outgrow the site. Although my shoe collection has outgrown my closet space.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?