Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone outgrown Dappered?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Dappered has outgrown me. I should rephrase, Joe has outgrown me. When I started reading 5 years ago, Joe was exactly my size. 5'10" 165 with the same exact sizing in clothes. Boy was that nice for ordering things he tested. Now he is at least 30 pounds stronger and none of our measurements match up. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. At least my sizing is more dialed in now and I buy way fewer items.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    "Has anyone 'outgrown' Dappered?"

TOTALLY.

Wait, hang on...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    The comments on main page articles are very much missed. I used to be able to see an article like today’s fall temptation and find alternatives I had never known about in the comments. There was sometimes negativity, and if memory serves, the removal was after some negative comments pointed at a female contributor, but, seeing comments on some Facebook stories these days makes most of that negativity seem pretty tame. There were also a few unfortunate bans on the forums that really affected some excellent sales news and higher end product discussion OP seems to be looking for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    I echo the sentiments of going from reading every main page article to skimming and skipping some. For example I skimmed the fall guide and none really spoke to me as something must have. About 2 years ago I wouldve had to purchase something from those links.

After learning a ton from this site initially Ive garnered a lot more specific advice from these forums. Ive got a handle on my ward robe and dont want to add tons of pieces just because I can. Im now in the replacement or add targeted pieces. I dont want a massive ward robe. The forum helps me use my current ward robe for specific events and education on what I have.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Good topic. In my case, it's not specific to Dappered. I've outgrown style sites in general.

As for my reasons, I just don't have the need to anymore. I know enough about style and I have a good wardrobe of essentials and staples, so it's just about maintaining it. Unlike the OP, I haven't really upgraded to higher quality items all that much. I'm ok with Uniqlo level quality/pricing or I go a bit higher for outerwear when Uniqlo feels/looks cheap.

I don't think it's a bad thing to outgrow interest in style (once you have acquired sufficient knowledge, of course). I feel like it's a natural progression and should be the (mostly) final step in a man's style journey. I dislike the wasteful/materialistic consumer culture and think it's pointless to needlessly keep buying clothes forever.

During my style journey I read A LOT of style articles everyday. Now, I just visit dappered and check if there's anyhing interesting in the forums, and I also visit fashionbeans coz they have daily articles (but I skip most), but I only do so as an afterthought. The excitement isn't there anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I created account just to agree with the OP.

I came to Dappered in my twenties, right around the JCrew peak of 2010-2012 (and subsequent honeymoon period for the next couple years), when I didn't make much money and only bought clothes on sale. It's hard to know if I've changed more, or if the site as changed more--but what I do know is that I rarely if ever connect with the brands, items, and frankly, the overall style anymore (Uniqlo is the only exception, as the favorite of urban millennials: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ls-gap/583219/). The stuff no longer comes off "classic" or "timeless"; it feels dated. And I sometimes see a big disconnect between what I understand to be trends in clothes and menswear and "trends" depicted on the site, which seem more fixated on what brands at a certain pricepoint are producing than the industry writ large.

It seems like the place for someone that really doesn't know anything but wants to feel good on a budget and for both reasons is therefore scared of anything that might be considered on trend. And it is very much suited for a younger person in a business environment where they need to wear a lot of different dress shirts and suits/sportcoats. It definitely feels geared toward volume and quantity.

I was more interested in that in my mid twenties. I now find myself buying fewer things that are better quality and honestly much, much more expensive than what is ever featured on the site. PTO and DWW are my main go-to's based on both quality of the clothes and the particular brands that I supposed I have "graduated" to. But also for a third reason: Those sites, with presumably much higher budgets, offer lots of deep-dives into a variety of different styles. Derek always suggests a range of products at different price points (the main difference from here being what he considers "affordable"). I also have a local boutique I go to at least once a quarter and buy new, full-priced things from a really detail-oriented shop owner who has a real appreciation for clothes. And when I do shop the sales, it's the seasonal sales from East Dane or Mr. Porter.

That's a long way of agreeing with the OP, and coming to the tentative conclusion: Perhaps some previous Dappered readers are now in a different financial space, with different tastes or preference in clothes, and some age that makes the current content less appealing, or not as appealing as it once was.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say I've 'out grown' dappered, more like I've grown over the years and realized that what I like isn't 100% aligned with everything on the main site. Still plenty of ideas to be picked up from the articles but I guess I'm no longer checking out every single item picked for Thursday Handful every week.

Curiously enough, I've also never felt the need to frequent or move on to places like SF, etc.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Not me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I agree with most of what's been said & am in a similar spot. I started really getting into the main site five or six years ago but am now at the point where I'm happy with most of my wardrobe & I just look to add here & there when I find a quality piece. I still read nearly all of the main site's articles, but more so for entertainment than to truly monitor products & sales. Since most of my closet is set & I'm not buying as much, I tend to focus more on sales/reviews for "nicer" stuff (relative term) like Billy Reid, Suitsupply, Spier & Mackay, Ledbury, Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt (as Joe says, they really do have nice outerwear!), Bonobos, etc. I also use the main site as a guide and, if I see something highlighted that I like but am not in love with the brand (JCF, Banana, JCrew the past year or two), I'll look around at some nicer brands for a similar style.

I read other sites too, like Reddit (FMF, GYW), Permanent Style & Styleforum, though I've found that the overwhelming majority tend to focus on low-end stuff that I'm not interested in or shoes/clothing that go significantly beyond what I'm comfortable spending. So again, most of this is more for entertainment & inspiration than to identify specific pieces. Reddit GYW tends to focus mostly on $1k+ boots and shell, whereas I'd love to see more on dress shoes from brands like Carmina, JFitzpatrick & Crockett & Jones. Reddit FMF users mostly have an obsession with certain cheaper brands (Uniqlo, JCrew, Red Wing) that I'm not really into at this point. Permanent Style favors items that I consider to be way beyond what I'd be willing to spend, but does have very nice articles. I've found that I spend a lot of time on Styleforum following the threads of companies that I'm interested in - Carmina, JFitzpatrick, Crockett & Jones, Spier & Mackay, Skoaktiebolaget, A Fine Pair of Shoes, Suitsupply, etc., along with others like Rock Your Socks, Boots Boots Boots, Suede Shoes & HOF: What Are You Wearing (though some posts here get, IMO, way beyond what I'd ever consider wearing to my office job). Styleforum threads also tend to get more activity than this forum does.
    Last edited by Banks; September 10th, 2019 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I will say I'm starting to move up on the scale of what gets air time around here, like most others I've moved on from JCF and I'm a little wary of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, but the Banana Republic, Nordstrom, and JCrew sales coverage is top notch. I think the way to think about it is I've differentiated in the last ~5 years, I picked up on the denim nerd trend and read Heddels every once in a while, I've become a watch nerd so I read Hodinkee, but I honestly find myself coming back to the main site here every time. I'm not obsessed with what I wear, but keeping up on what looks good makes me feel good.

Writing style is unparalleled too. StyleForum, and even Put This On and Die Workwear can get insufferably pretentious, Dappered brings it down to earth and I actually find myself using some of the vernacular from the site when I'm shopping myself (like from today's post, I'll remember to avoid the "crusty old blanket" feel in my next tweed sportcoat).