Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current State of the Collection

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)

Current State of the Collection

Current state of the shoe collection. I've been wanting to put all my shoes together in one photo so I could see what I have. So, I did it today.

If you have any questions about brands, models, or how I like them, let me know.

I am always happy to talk about shoes. Or if you'd like a close up of one of the pairs, I have those available.

The back row are shoes I'm about ready to donate--although I'm a bit conflicted about getting rid of the black/white snake skin pair and the square toe derby pair.

Other than that, I've tried to group similar shoes together. Ooops--just noticed that in the boot row, I have one pair of Chelsea boots on the right and another on the left.

If you see a shoe on a box from a particular brand, that shoe is that brand.

I did NOT include: 1) Work out shoes; 2) Shoes I only wear for costume purposes; 3) house slippers; and 4) sandal/flip flop type things

After taking all the shoes out of boxes and bags, I realize I need several more pairs of shoe trees.

Some of my current favorites are, in no particular order:
    • Tan Carlos Santos boots
    • JFitzpatrick Button Boots
    • Black/Burgundy Cobbler Union Oxfords
    • Oxblood McNeil
    • Herring Premier Monk Strap
    • AE Stirling (factory seconds--they were a steal at about $150--haven't worn them yet)

Working from home now, I sure don't get to wear my favorites as often as I like. But I do have several pair of the shoes shown that are inside only shoes, that I wear on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mebejoseph; September 8th, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Current state of the shoe collection.

I've been wanting to put all my shoes together in one photo so I could see what I have.

So, I did it today.

The back row are shoes I'm about ready to donate.

Other than that, I've tried to group similar shoes together. Ooops--just noticed that in the boot row, I have one pair of Chelsea boots on the right and another on the left.

If you see a shoe on a box from a particular brand, that shoe is that brand.

I did NOT include: 1) Work out shoes; 2) Shoes I only wear for costume purposes; 3) house slippers; and 4) sandal/flip flop type things

After taking all the shoes out of boxes and bags, I realize I need several more pairs of shoe trees.

Some of my current favorites are, in no particular order:
    • Tan Carlos Santos boots
    • JFitzpatrick Button Boots
    • Black/Burgundy Cobbler Union Oxfords
    • Oxblood McNeil
    • Herring Premier Monk Strap
    • AE Stirling (factory seconds--they were a steal at about $150--haven't worn them yet)

Working from home now, I sure don't get to wear my favorites as often as I like. But I do have several pair of the shoes shown that are inside only shoes, that I wear on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. You have a lot of good looking shoes. And I suddenly feel much better about my shoe collection, which might run 1/3 that size all in, athletic shoes and such included. So thanks for that.

What are the ones with the purple tassles?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Wow. You have a lot of good looking shoes. And I suddenly feel much better about my shoe collection, which might run 1/3 that size all in, athletic shoes and such included. So thanks for that.

What are the ones with the purple tassles?
    The ones with purple tassels are very inexpensive Giorgio Bruntini velvet slippers that I added the tassels to (the red and grey ones are the same brand/type--I only wear those inside or out on the back patio). We hosted a birthday party for a friend with the theme, "Classy AF". I thought the tassels were a perfect addition for that theme.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Nice collection. What is the brogue oxford in the lower righthand corner -- an AE McCallister? And do you find yourself wearing it more or less often than the brogue derby one row back?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Nice collection. What is the brogue oxford in the lower righthand corner -- an AE McCallister? And do you find yourself wearing it more or less often than the brogue derby one row back?
    They are McCallisters, but I dyed them myself. They started out as the bourbon color and that had some major problems with the color coming off. I have a long thread on here from last year about all the ways I tried to fix them.

The brogue derby on the left are oxblood McNeils. I wear them pretty often--twice this week, in fact. I wore them with jeans to go shopping yesterday and with chinos when I needed to go to the bank the other day. But I would say that the McCallister are my second favorite pair to wear with a formal suit, after the Cobbler Union. I also wear the black AE Park Avenue almost always when I go to court. I don't think the Cobbler Union two-tone is right for a court appearance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    They are McCallisters, but I dyed them myself. They started out as the bourbon color and that had some major problems with the color coming off. I have a long thread on here from last year about all the ways I tried to fix them.

The brogue derby on the left are oxblood McNeils. I wear them pretty often--twice this week, in fact. I wore them with jeans to go shopping yesterday and with chinos when I needed to go to the bank the other day. But I would say that the McCallister are my second favorite pair to wear with a formal suit, after the Cobbler Union. I also wear the black AE Park Avenue almost always when I go to court. I don't think the Cobbler Union two-tone is right for a court appearance.
    Okay, right, I remember seeing that thread now that you mention it. I would not have guessed they had been DIY dyed. They look factory and really good.

The main thing I'm missing from my smallish collection is a good pair of versatile brogues. Whenever I get around to filling that hole I'll probably go with derbies since I'd like them to be informal enough to work with jeans.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Okay, right, I remember seeing that thread now that you mention it. I would not have guessed they had been DIY dyed. They look factory and really good.

The main thing I'm missing from my smallish collection is a good pair of versatile brogues. Whenever I get around to filling that hole I'll probably go with derbies since I'd like them to be informal enough to work with jeans.
    If you want them for jeans, I'd go with a walnut or burgundy. Or a light brown maybe--Black and brown are fine, but a bit formal for my taste with blue denim. Totally a matter of personal taste, of course. I haven't tried oxfords with jeans, and don't think I will.

However, I quite like the brogue monkstraps there with jeans as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    If you want them for jeans, I'd go with a walnut or burgundy. Or a light brown maybe--Black and brown are fine, but a bit formal for my taste with blue denim. Totally a matter of personal taste, of course. I haven't tried oxfords with jeans, and don't think I will.
    With the right color of denim, I'll occasionally pair my navy Strandmoks with jeans.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    What happens if you tap the red ones together three times? Ha!

This is a great collection. I thought the 20 pair I have (including four pairs of cowboy boots - Texas, y'all) was large. Turns out it's...medium.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumTex View Post
    What happens if you tap the red ones together three times? Ha!

This is a great collection. I thought the 20 pair I have (including four pairs of cowboy boots - Texas, y'all) was large. Turns out it's...medium.
    Haha--yes, there's no place like home. I only wear those around the house.

Okay, cowboy boots--I think that is one thing my wife would support. We occasionally go to a country bar near our place. She doesn't like that I don't have proper boots.