Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current State of the Collection

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Haha--yes, there's no place like home. I only wear those around the house.

Okay, cowboy boots--I think that is one thing my wife would support. We occasionally go to a country bar near our place. She doesn't like that I don't have proper boots.
    Careful...a boot obsession could get way more expensive than your shoe obsession. Trust me, I have both! Close to 30 pairs of shoes and 3 pairs of boots. The problem with boots is that $200-$300 is the low end of the spectrum.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Careful...a boot obsession could get way more expensive than your shoe obsession. Trust me, I have both! Close to 30 pairs of shoes and 3 pairs of boots. The problem with boots is that $200-$300 is the low end of the spectrum.
    Agreed. Luckily, living in DFW, I have access to the Justin Boot outlet in Fort Worth, but even "seconds" are $300 minimum. Tecovas has some really good looking ostrich ones for reasonable prices. "Reasonable" is relative.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I've never owned any cowboy boots but I went through a phase last year where I was toying with the idea of getting a pair. The Tecovas brand is interesting -- looks like they might have good bang for buck.

https://www.tecovas.com/collections/mens-collection

But my impression is that Lucchese is sort of the gold standard for boots:

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/mens/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Haha--yes, there's no place like home. I only wear those around the house.

Okay, cowboy boots--I think that is one thing my wife would support. We occasionally go to a country bar near our place. She doesn't like that I don't have proper boots.
    Unless you're riding your horses to the bar, I don't think boots are necessary there

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Unless you're riding your horses to the bar, I don't think boots are necessary there
    Maybe if you're in East Californi--sorry, "Austin"....when you're in Real Texas then yes....they pretty much are. The only acceptable alternative is well-worn work boots.
    @mebejoseph Tecovas ostrich are on my list to snag when I'm re-enlisting at the Alamo in February. And don't forget the AE shell trunk show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Maybe if you're in East Californi--sorry, "Austin"....
    LOL!!!!!
    when you're in Real Texas then yes....they pretty much are.
    Probably. I'm not a Texan so can't comment on it. I was being a bit silly. A little tongue-in-cheek. I grew up riding and have always viewed boots as purpose-designed footwear. It always looks funny to me to see someone wearing boots without the purpose (work that requires them, riding, etc...). Having said that, I've worn board shorts and don't surf, so...

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    you're talking to the king of silly friend. i wear a horse mask in random situations just because.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    you're talking to the king of silly friend. i wear a horse mask in random situations just because.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    Current state of the shoe collection. I've been wanting to put all my shoes together in one photo so I could see what I have. So, I did it today.

If you have any questions about brands, models, or how I like them, let me know.

I am always happy to talk about shoes. Or if you'd like a close up of one of the pairs, I have those available.

The back row are shoes I'm about ready to donate--although I'm a bit conflicted about getting rid of the black/white snake skin pair and the square toe derby pair.

Other than that, I've tried to group similar shoes together. Ooops--just noticed that in the boot row, I have one pair of Chelsea boots on the right and another on the left.

If you see a shoe on a box from a particular brand, that shoe is that brand.

I did NOT include: 1) Work out shoes; 2) Shoes I only wear for costume purposes; 3) house slippers; and 4) sandal/flip flop type things

After taking all the shoes out of boxes and bags, I realize I need several more pairs of shoe trees.

Some of my current favorites are, in no particular order:
    • Tan Carlos Santos boots
    • JFitzpatrick Button Boots
    • Black/Burgundy Cobbler Union Oxfords
    • Oxblood McNeil
    • Herring Premier Monk Strap
    • AE Stirling (factory seconds--they were a steal at about $150--haven't worn them yet)

Working from home now, I sure don't get to wear my favorites as often as I like. But I do have several pair of the shoes shown that are inside only shoes, that I wear on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. Very impressive. Makes me think I need to stop spending money on bicycles and start spending money on shoes (again!)